What are you drinking tonight? (Fall '07)

mgilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

George Dickel Barrel Select. To me this whiskey has more of the maple-charcoal flavor peculiar to Tennessees than any other. Not in a bad way - quite the contrary. It may almost rival JD Silver Select for me. Not especially intense, it's perfect for when you want something a little more civilized. GDBS is very well balanced with just the right amount of sweetness, smokiness, spice and tree fruit. The finish is moderately long.

quote]

For my money, this is the best of the TN whiskey expressions.

Did a 60 minute bike ride (too short) abbreviated due to being too cold even though I wore three layers. I need to figure out how to keep warm at 50 degrees F and under, maybe Goretex or something like that, any tips?

I waited a decent time to warm up and pulled out a beer to rehydrate, Hockley Gold, a local micro beer that is very close to an English draught bitter with a big, Goldings-like taste (lemony and piney against a malty base): superb.

Then, I poured a Weller Antique 107 (one of the Cork & Bottle barrel selections I've mentioned recently) with a dash of (of all things) Portuguese spring water Libby happened to buy. This water turns out to be absolutely perfect for addition to whiskey! The reason is I think its softness, rarely have I had water so soft, it seems to get into the interstices of the whiskey and display it to perfection.

So maybe at 90 proof now, I am getting a maple sweet quality, with good smokey wood too, and a luscious kind of Kentucky warmth. But on top of that is the inimitable Weller 107 quality which is a particular fruitiness (hard to explain) that melds with the other qualities. A very fine whiskey that happens to be a great value. Cheers.

Gary

On the way back from hunting this last Friday, we stopped off and bought a 200ml for the non-drivers. Just something cheap mind you...Old Crow. Damn, this stuff was horrible. No flavor that was pleasant made itself appearant. It was not a hit with anyone in the vehicle. What the heck is going on in Boston and Clearmont. Can't they even make a good cheap bourbon. HH can! Actually, most of HH bourbons are cheap and still taste better than Crow or even Beam white. What a sad time we live in, to enjoy such crappy bourbon.

Messing around mixing Elijah Craig 18 & 12 yo in various proportions. I like 18 alot. It might be improved (for me) with a bit of 12, but only a very little bit, maybe one part in 6. More than that overwhelms the more subtle aspects of the EC18.

I was asking my local guy about the new Turkeys, and he is looking into getting them for me. So while in the mood I got some RB. I drink this often, but its still not enough. I mean this is $60 bourbon for half price.......

instead of bouncing around with the tempting new bottles, i am sticking with the OWeller 107 tonight...one neat a few hours ago...then one with a really small splash of water. did the water last time (this weekend) and felt that it weakened it. but i think this smaller bit of water opened it up without taking away the edge i liked at the "mild" 107 proof.

great pour!

that finish is what i am still working on understanding. something that was there last time (past weekend)...but i can't quite put my finger (or tongue) on it.

a good musty-ness? i don't know if it's the "woodiness" or what.

A little mustiness is not uncommon in a BT whiskey finish.

Randy

If you're not thinking about whiskey and women 100% of the time, you're not concentrating.

A little mustiness is not uncommon in a BT whiskey finish.

Randy

If you're not thinking about whiskey and women 100% of the time, you're not concentrating.

thanks...i guess that was an accurate description. i didn't want to say moldiness! but that's not quite it anyways!! now what is "BT" ?

i usually can figure out the abbreviations used throughout, but it's too late tonight for me to extend my brain...:rolleyes::)

Buffalo Trace.......there is actually a list of common abreviations somewhere here put together by Barturtle....aka Timothy.

A good size pour of some 16 yr. A.H. Hirsch first release. I am really liking this bottle!!!

Just finished a bottle of Russell's Reserve (90). I was actually quite disappointed when I discovered this used to be a higher proof bottling, but over time I've really grown to like it. I think I will buy another bottle of this, a first for any Wild Turkey product.

Joel

Russell's is one of my favorites..just finished a bottle myself..I think my next buy is some 1792 and some Old Charter Proprietors Reserve...

VOB 80 proof with aged in oak on shoulder label.

Aged in oak on shoulder label...not an age statement? IIRC the last NAS VOB I remember seeing was about a decade ago.

Buffalo Trace.......there is actually a list of common abreviations somewhere here put together by Barturtle....aka Timothy.

thanks...my brain was not on (or would that be "turned off") and i had already had 2 OWeller 107s....

BTrace is fine stuff..but i need to try it again. at $19.99 here in PA, i think that's plenty fair!

anyways, tonight, experimenting further with a small, neat glass of Ridgemont Reserve...then again, with a minimal micro splash of water...to detect differences...

It's under the announcements in the New to Straightbourbon forum.

I might have to think about getting around to updating it sometime...

The 2007 BTAC,

Coming in at Number 1 would be then SAZ 18, followed up by the 17 yr, eagle next with the Weller knocking at the door (hard choice between these 2). This years Stagg is harsh in the neat but with a splash (A.K.A 1 Gallon:slappin: of H2O) it has a finish I've never had. Lots of ripe fruitr and Dark Chocolate. As for the Handy WoW this stuff is hot...It's entry is like fire. no kidding...but add a dash of water and it really opens this bottle up. As for my personal rating

1. Sazerac (don't buy this bottle)

2. ER 17 yr.

3. Weller

4. Stagg

5. Handy ( this stuff is HOT)

Tony

The 2007 BTAC,

Coming in at Number 1 would be then SAZ 18...

(don't buy this bottle)...

Tony

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin::slappin::slappin:

~tp

Tried the new OFBB 2007 last night - finally got my hands on a bottle. Had a great nose - very sweet, molasses/brown sugar notes. But was a little disappointing on the palate - a bit more acidic and astringent than the nose promised, also lighter than expected and a bit woody. But then the finish was very nice, with nice minty notes. I think I like the 2005 and 2006 releases better, but might prefer the 2007 to the 2004. Of course, this is all from vague memories - would really have to do a head-to-head to know for sure.

Also tried some new scotch last night - Bruichladdich 15 yo Second Edition, which I generally enjoyed although I'm not sure what I think of the combination of (admittedly light) peat with what is otherwise a very light whiskey - I was getting an odd burnt rubber type taste that did not seem to be in synch with the rest of the whiskey. I think I'll need to revisit this one a few times before I know what I think of it.

And pulled some JW Gold out of the freezer for a nightcap. Very nice, sweet and smooth. Enjoyable to let it warm in your mouth and release the flavors.

Tonight will finish my bottle of 18 yr old Elijah Craig..Then will finish my ORVW special reserve...not much left in either one..

2007 Sazerac 18 yr. I am really putting a dent in this bottle. Handing out candy.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!! :70358-devil: EVERYONE! :70358-devil:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.