What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is all very humbling! The birth of a child and the great folks here and all your positive support!

Thank you to everyone with Happy New Year Wishes and all the best to you and yours!

Thank you again!

Tony, Michelle, Sarah and Samantha (the newest)

I guess here is as good a spot as any!! Just getting ready to pour me a quick Rebel Yell 1980' tax stamp found today. I walked in the door from hunting and Michelle my wife is finishing some things in the babies room! She comes into the kitchen picks up our almost 2 year old and quickly sets her back down. I hear my name being yelled as she runs to the bathroom.

Yep Water borke 6:20 p.m., arrived at the Hospital at 7:00 and Samantha was born at 9:01 (7.11oz. 20" with a full head of hair). Mom and Baby are both doing great and I am one proud father again. One drink and off to bed I need to take the oldest to the Dr. in the Morning and then get back the hospital to see our latest.

cheers!

Tony

Congratulations from Sweden Tony. Already lock alike her father. Especially the eyes.

Leif

Tony,

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

I'll have a little something for you tonight. Perhaps a Weller Centennial.

Good Luck with your second.

Will

Well, it was Weller Centennial. I enjoyed its aromatic splendor with every breath for more than a half hour before enjoying the first sip. What a nose. Just 1 finger worth, tomorrow is a workday.

Will

Tonite, killing 2 bottles, the Egg Nog and OGD/BIB.......going to miss the latter more than the former. Next up is undecided.....trying to choose between Lot B, OFBB 05, OC12 and my Wathen's 02. Maybe I'll try them all and wake up on Monday.

My work group had a holiday dinner/house warming party last night. I brought a bottle of OGD 114 as a house warming gift. The host had a bottle of Fonbelle Bourbon in a Statue of Liberty shaped bottle. The box said it was bottled in Florida. It also said it was distilled in Louisville Kentucky at United Distillers. He picked it up in Frankfurt on the way home from a Military assignment. It was an 80 proofer, and I was not expecting much at all. I was pleasantly surprised to find it smooth with a nice flavor. Fairly sweet with a little spice. Nice little end of the year surprise. He opened the OGD 114 and it was very well received.

Tony, Congrats to you and your wife! Looks like you are starting the year of right.

A toast of Russell's Reserve 101 to you!

:bowdown:

What a lovely picture of a proud father and beautiful daughter, Tony! Some EW1783 followed by Anchor Anniversary Ale.

Tonight was I was a little more indulgent than normal. Started with some early 80's Old Forester 86 proof. Moved on to Binny's Weller 12 year, '05 WLW and then some '06 WLW. The '05 WLW was funky when first opened but now that it's had time to breath, it's turned rather nicely.

Tony my friend, CONGRATULATIONS to you and Michelle. A little slow in getting the news. Spent all day Friday and Saturday at a H. S. wrestling tournament. Was putting away some Weller SR tonight but after this great news I'll switch to some BTAC WLW and toast to Sara's new sister. Have a great new year and I'll see you soon.

Hank

Congrats Tony!! Jon and I have two girls. They will both forever and always be "Daddy's girls"! I decided to toast you with a bottle of WT Tradition that I happen to have open here....only because I know you found some recently and to be quite honest....I don't remember what it tastes like!! Hope she's a good sleeper!!!

Dawn

Congratulations, Tony, just got the news here myself. So happy to hear the little one is healthy and doing well, you must be so proud.

I drink a toast to you tonight. Cheers!!!!

PS- Hoisting up an Oban 14 to you now. Here's to ya.

Congrats Tony. And she waited until you got back from hunting before she came into the world. I'll have a specail pour tonight in her honor.

I finally cracked open my bottle of Wild Turkey 8 year old, distilled in '83. A revelation. Beautiful color and very sweet, burnt sugar and spice and maybe a little citrus. Wow.

I might have to go back and get the other couple bottles.

Tonight, just returned from my Spanish sojourn, I've decided to focus on American whiskey: but not just one. So I've got a base of Pappy 15 with additions of OF 100, WR and Rittenhouse rye. Once I got the whiskey base right, I made further additions: Peychaud's bitters, Fees oak barrel ditto and a scant teaspoon brown sugar. Shake that thing. Then, two ice cubes and a good splash of bubbly bottled spring water.

I call it the Welcome Home and it's great.

Great

Sorry, I forgot to mention an ingredient I had added: some Spanish absinthe, which lends a lightly minty, anise note. So this is really a Sazerac cocktail. In fact any anise-based drink would do for the final flourish.

Gary

Four Roses Single Barrel tonight. Started off with a scotch before dinner, small pour of Oban 14. Now the temperature's 4º and falling. The FRSB's proof is taking the chill off nicely.

Cheers!

Not quite reached the single digits here, but going into the teens sometime before dawn. Once it goes below 20, all the same to me. To keep warm, starting with OC12 and then to ERSB or OFBB05.....and, if it gets colder faster than expected, we'll have to take a hard look towards that Stagg in the back of the cabinet.

First, I threw back some mushrooms and stuffed peppers basking in EWSB 1997, then a turkey sandwich soaked in WTRB with a side of homemade pickles soaked in PVW20. I followed that with an Old Fitz-lathered chocolate-on-chocolate cake. To finish, a nice big glass of.............Guinness!:bigeyes::lol:

I had a couple snifters of '06 ER 17. First one with a couple pan fried pork chops and creamed spinach, a bit later while watching TV another with a few Hershey's "cherry" flavored kisses.

First, I threw back some mushrooms and stuffed peppers basking in EWSB 1997, then a turkey sandwich soaked in WTRB with a side of homemade pickles soaked in PVW20. I followed that with a Old Fitz-lathered chocolate-on-chocolate cake. To finish, a nice big glass of.............Guinness!:bigeyes::lol:

Nick, my man, why not just throw all that stuff into a blender! Throw in some vermouth and you've got a high protein Manhattan. :cool:

I like to finish off sauteed mushrooms with a little splash of bourbon and a small dash of teriyaki sauce. Never tried the besotted turkey sandwich, it sounds quite beguiling! I can imagine a Guinness going well with a hearty meal like that, excellent choice. Now I'm hungry again.

Cheers!

Some early 80s Harper Gold. Very nice. On the sweet side with nothing unpleasant or harsh at all. Decent finish and mouthfeel.

Nick, my man, why not just throw all that stuff into a blender! Throw in some vermouth and you've got a high protein Manhattan. :cool:

I like to finish off sauteed mushrooms with a little splash of bourbon and a small dash of teriyaki sauce. Never tried the besotted turkey sandwich, it sounds quite beguiling! I can imagine a Guinness going well with a hearty meal like that, excellent choice. Now I'm hungry again.

Cheers!

Of course, I was just joking. But, sans the sandwich, I could certainly imagine ingesting and digesting the rest of the menu I mentioned.

Luna, by the way, where have you been? I called you out some 4-5 nights ago but you did not respond. To coin a phrase already coined, where you at?!

Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.