What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What I'm really drinking and have drunk: WTAS, '06 Stagg, PVW 15 and now some WTKS.

Wow, I couldn't remember what was currently in my raised hand. Not the first time, my freinds! Anyway, I figured it out.:grin:

I like to finish off sauteed mushrooms with a little splash of bourbon and a small dash of teriyaki sauce.!

For New Year's Eve, I sauteed up some mushrooms with butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder. It was very good. I could see tossing some bourbon and terriyake sauce on top woth some homemade bread crumbs to boot.

Of course, I was just joking. But, sans the sandwich, I could certainly imagine ingesting and digesting the rest of the menu I mentioned.

Luna, by the way, where have you been? I called you out some 4-5 nights ago but you did not respond. To coin a phrase already coined, where you at?!

Mark

Sorry I missed you. I don't have Flash on this computer so I can't access the chat until I get back in the house. I may bring the laptop out here, though, if you're up for a chat later. We'll be drinkin' mash, talkin' trash.

Cheers!

What I'm really drinking and have drunk: WTAS, WTKS.

Mark,

I would be interested in your comparison of these 2 bottlings. I tackled them both on NYE, and I found them to be very similar, could be due to the other drinks I had beforehand, but I dunno.......may have to do it again!

Cheers

Scott

Evan Williams Black.

I posted earlier that I was disappointed by this bourbon, but it seems to be growing on me.

Last night it was WT101, my benchmark bourbon (can't really call it my "daily pour" as I literally have something different every time).

Sidebar to Fog: my palate isn't as sophisticated as many of the SB.com regulars, but I too was pleasantly surprised by EW Black -- especially considering how inexpensive it is (eleven bucks for a 750, here). I've only had the one bottle, but I'll buy it again, someday.

Larry

Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107.

It is starting to warm me up now.

It started out 4 below zero this morning and got all the way up to 17 now.

Mark,

I would be interested in your comparison of these 2 bottlings. I tackled them both on NYE, and I found them to be very similar, could be due to the other drinks I had beforehand, but I dunno.......may have to do it again!

Cheers

Scott

Scott, funny you should ask. I did a blind tasting that included WTRB, WTKS and WTAS. I sampled each three times. Two of the three times I chose WTKS and the other time, WTRB. That's not the interesting part. What is, is the fact that WTAS came in last all three times! I was pretty shocked.

Mark

VWFR rye.

Whatever the iteration, this one rarely disappoints.

This bottling is dryish, elegant with a good residual sweetness.

Kudos to the shop.

Gary

I just poured me some '07 WLW. Don't know what from here but I'm sure I'll figure something out.:lol:

Went into an ABC store in Kona. My choice of American whiskey: Jack or Jim. Johnny red or black were there for Scotland. Crown and Chivas were also on the shelves.

I went with Jack and am enjoying it now on the rocks sitting on my balcony overlooking the Big Island with the mountains far off in the distance. Only a couple of more days and then back to the frigid Chicago temps.

Over the past holidays I've had the good fortune to get some samples from Gary Gillman that I could not have obtained from our local liquor stores.

Four Roses SB (50.2%)

Nose: Dark & sweet. Furnature polish, blood oranges & cloves.

Taste: Good balance between sweet & dry. With water, dry becomes magnified, then ebbs & flows.

Aftertaste: Tingles on palate. Drying like tea leaves. With water finish becomes longer, drier.

Impression: Beutiful in its simplicity. BALANCED! Able to drink this at full STR (usually have to water down spirits over 46%).

Hallmark of St James vatted malt 25yr (Scotch)

Nose: Stewed apples & pears. Nutmeg.

Taste: Follows through with the nose. More spice with some hotness. Reminds me of Cutty Sark 25yr.

Aftertaste: Spice comes to the fore. Finish is powerful.

Impressions: Fruitier at the start/ spicier at the finish.

Old Weller Antique 107 Single Barrel Unfiltered (Bernheim)

Nose: Expressive - dark fruits with oak notes complementing. Becomes more expressive with water.

Taste: Oak & spices. Drier with water.

Finish: Long finish, then tapers gracefully. Less intence with water, and a bit drier.

Impressions: LOVED this one!!!A beutiful dram on its own, and can take water without tasting diluted. The highest I've ever been able to drink alcohol (107 proof). A dram for the ages - thanks Gary!!!

Also opened my bottle of EC 18 than family muled up from SoCal. The driest bourbon I've had by a wide margin. LOVE it, but am still trying to come to terms with it. Will post notes in the BOTM thread!

The more I try good bourbon, the more I lament our lack of choices up here in Toronto. It's almost criminal...

This is a chance to mention that Chris (Frodo) kindly gave me samples in return, a 1960's Park Lane was very Canadian in style but heavier and more caramel-like than often found today. His Lagavulin 12 was a vigorous expression of pure Islay character and quite different to the 16 year old version. Finally, a blended scotch finished in a rum barrel showed interesting oily-like notes from the finishing treatment.

We'll try to bring back different bourbons after the February trip to Doug's if I can get down there as currently planned.

Gary

I've had a cold the last couple of days so haven't indulged in much bourbon. Tonight I'm feeling better so I pulled out my '06 WLW and cut it to about 100 proof.

My first sip of WTRB tonight. Very good stuff. It's right up there with McKenna BIB S1B. I'll be buying another bottle.

For a chilly evening/morning, a spicy warm start with the 2005 edition of VWFRR ("G") followed by a smooth nightcap of OFBB of same year.......will sleep good tonight.

my own odd vatting that works quite well (so far!):

WT rye/Eagle Rare 10 SB/WLWeller Special Reserve (from the 80's)

though equally blended in thirds, the WT rye asserted itself amid the sweet WLW wheat and the ER 10...! anyways, yum...

I like 1792...different to any other bourbon, and a welcome change from time to time.

Had some WT12 with a bowl of pipe tobacco. Then WT 101 at a bar (damn good!). Now going to have some Bowmore 15 Mariner (now discontinued) to close the evening.

Well its afternoon, but I am drinking Evan Williams White Label (Bottled in Bond) and I really like it! Its not expensive either.

Yes, 1792 is different because it doesn't have the "burn" the others do, and it feels different in the mouth. The downsides are that it doesn't have all the flavor I expect, plus it's so smooth it's tempting to just keep drinking more and more of it.

Tonight is two shots of Old Forester 80 followed by Sam Adams Light: I gotta get up early tomorrow. And I want to finish the SA Light I have because the SA White Ale is going to be on sale real soon and I have to stock up - by early April they'll be out of the stuff for the rest of '08.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.