What Are You Drinking Tonight, Winter'07/'08

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

VWFRR followed by WLW 06 to warm up a bit on a chilly night. I would add Rittenhouse BIB to the lineup but I have hid the bottle from myself. I may have to pick up another one if it doesn't turn up in the next day or two. What little rye I do own at present is beginning to grow a bit fond of my company here of late.

I had opened an early 80's Old Taylor 86 proof some time ago (375ml) and didn't like it so I wanted to revisit this bourbon. It's cleaned up some and I like it better.

Hey Greg just wondering what of the early 80's Old Taylor you did not like? I found 2 today from 83' and opened one to compare to you note. Although it has a short to medium finish I thought it was pretty good for $9 bucks. The nose has a sweet cheery and vanilla to it. I get a little burn at first but the sweet cherry vanilla comes back with a little nugat with very light oak at the very end.

Just wanted you thoughts! and what is better now?

Tony

[Well, last night...]

1968 Old Taylor (from a recently-purchased castle decanter), followed by:

2003 (Spring 1990) Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, followed by:

1968 Old Fitzgerald BIB (from the Sons of Erin decanter)

All delightful -- surprisingly Old Taylor won the battle in this particular order!

* * * I can only imagine how good the 101 is/was. It's good enough that I will...* * *

The 90 is good, and can be found at a bargain price in my area(s). The 101 is far better, IMO. But I've been bunkering ER101 considerably over the past year in anticipation of its loss.

Tonight, I'm enjoying BT followed by VWFRR.

First, some ORVW 10/107 blended with '07 WLW. Currently, equal parts '07 Stagg and '07 ER with a spit of water.

The final pour of my Weller 19 was had tonight. been saving it for some reason and really enjoyed it...sorry to see that it is gone and can't get any more, but will have the memories...

Didn't get to the Veuve yet (later this week) but sampled some Rittenhouse 10 years old (just a little, got to save it for the study session upcoming) and a bit of my bourbon vatting mentioned earlier based on Pappy 15. The vatting was very good and the Rittenhouse quite different, more vigorous and heady.

Gary

Louisville Yellowstone 86 proof with a 92 on the bottom of the bottle. Absolutely wonderful and only $11 for a liter! Too bad it ain't around anymore.

Had a Saz cocktail made with (of all things!) JTS Brown BIB bourbon, a pour of Blanton's, a Booker's, a Pappy 15, and finally a OGD BIB.

Just straightening the basement up for visitors on Friday and took another drink of the 83' Old Taylor (375ml) then went for some GD old No.8 and founf out what everyone means by vitamin taste! (Flintstone's Chewables at it's finest). Now a pour of BT While I RIP some of my CD's!

Cheers!

Tony

Hey Greg just wondering what of the early 80's Old Taylor you did not like? I found 2 today from 83' and opened one to compare to you note. Although it has a short to medium finish I thought it was pretty good for $9 bucks. The nose has a sweet cheery and vanilla to it. I get a little burn at first but the sweet cherry vanilla comes back with a little nugat with very light oak at the very end.

Just wanted you thoughts! and what is better now?

Tony

Tony,

Memory is a little foggy but I picked up some funk when I first opened it and it didn't set well with me. It very well could have been something I ate or even my mood....who knows. While I had a small splash the other night, it appeared to be good but I need to have a larger dose to make a determination. I have 2 1.75L that were distilled in '75 and bottled '81, and I want to make sure I like this particular bourbon before opening the larger bottles. I had the same reaction to an '05 WLW recently (Brad can testify). Definite off notes when first opened but after sitting for better than a month, it's mellowed out and is drinkable.

Louisville Yellowstone 86 proof with a 92 on the bottom of the bottle. Absolutely wonderful and only $11 for a liter! Too bad it ain't around anymore.

hmmm....I have a single bottle of Yellowstone 86 proof dated '76. I've been eyeballing it lately and am curious about this one. What's it like? Any tasting notes you can share?

That's funny Greg I have that same 1.75L and have not opened it either. If the 375ml bottle is not what I'm looking for the 1.75L's get sent to Charles! If you know what I mean. Seems I should keep one anyway.

Well I am trying this stuff called Single Malt Scotch. A Islay called Bowmore. Plenty of Peat that is for sure. I guess I'll have to pickup a Highland now just for experimentation purposes. Whisky is Whiskey but Bourbon is BOURBON if you catch my drift.

WTRB (a soon-to-be empty that will be replenished tomorrow) followed by Weller Antique 107. I find myself turning to the 45+ ABV in my collection more often than the lower proofs as the nose, flavor and finishes are superior, IMO.

hmmm....I have a single bottle of Yellowstone 86 proof dated '76. I've been eyeballing it lately and am curious about this one. What's it like? Any tasting notes you can share?

Cool, now I have an excuse to pour another glass this evening.

-Nose is a bit sharp but rich and sweet. I wouldn't say brown sugar, more like demerara. A little bit of mustiness. I also get a slight hint of char.

-Palate is not as sharp as the nose. Buttery rich and nicely aged. No prima donnas here. Corn, rye and oak blend perfectly before folding into an anise-like finale.

-Finish is about medium in length. The anise/char flavor fades after about 15-20 seconds.

Hope this helps and I hope your bottle is this good or better. I'm sure that the $10.69 pricetag on the bottle has been there a while. But I've never paid that little for something so good.

BTEC Chardonnay barrel aged 8 yrs after 10 yrs in new oak. Ran into it accidentally, but apparently it's quite rare.

BTECbottle3.jpg

Broke (well, not literally) out the Reidel glass for this one.

BTECglass-1.jpg

Have to conserve it for friends, so I'm now sipping some Pappy 20 with some milk chocolate from the Fudge Pot on Wells St. in Old Town.

I'm off work tomorrow, so I may not be done yet. Cheers!

WT RB I tried to enjoy a glass a couple days ago but recurrent heartburn made that impossible.

That's funny Greg I have that same 1.75L and have not opened it either. If the 375ml bottle is not what I'm looking for the 1.75L's get sent to Charles! If you know what I mean. Seems I should keep one anyway.

I know Charles certainly uses those older bottles for a good purpose. I would however, give it a chance. For instance, I've whined in a number of threads that I have not liked the Hirsch 16 year. Well, after the bottle has sat for about a year, opened, I pulled it out the other day and had a small pour just to test it again. For whatever reason this time it was pleasant and I liked it. As you know, if you hit upon a bourbon that doesn't sit well the first time out of the bottle.....give it time as some bourbons definitely get better after opening.

Cool, now I have an excuse to pour another glass this evening.

-Nose is a bit sharp but rich and sweet. I wouldn't say brown sugar, more like demerara. A little bit of mustiness. I also get a slight hint of char.

-Palate is not as sharp as the nose. Buttery rich and nicely aged. No prima donnas here. Corn, rye and oak blend perfectly before folding into an anise-like finale.

-Finish is about medium in length. The anise/char flavor fades after about 15-20 seconds.

Hope this helps and I hope your bottle is this good or better. I'm sure that the $10.69 pricetag on the bottle has been there a while. But I've never paid that little for something so good.

Arrghhh...now I want to pop open that bottle....blast your tasting notes! Just kidding....thanks for the notes. I'll compare when I decide to open mine up.

Hipflask:

Bowmore is one of my favorites. If you like the peaty, you may also like Talisker (from Isle of Skye), which is "smoky". For a general single malt, try Balvenie Doublewood (probably my favorite for a Highland/Speyside single malt and very reasonably priced), Highland Park (Orkney Island) or Oban (Highland). Macallans, such as the Fine Oak, are also quite good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.