What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

ggilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Two batches of Geo Dickel #12 -- finished a bottle from two years ago and opened a new one that I found tonight (liquor store mgr said No. 8 "long gone and not coming back!)

into...

Ridgemont Reserve 1792: I taste a kinship to the Dickel (similar malt percentage in the mashbill?)

into...

1980s faux tax strip ND Old Taylor (thanks again Oscar and Tony!) -- best in show for the evening, but surprisingly close! Both the Dickel and the 1792 are better than I remember from previous comparative tastings.

Killer my bernheim tonight…. Good bourbon for a starter or after you clean your pallet. If you like a wheatear bourbon, this is the one for you…

Last night it was PVW15 and then Antique 107. Both tasted horrible as I had a very garlicky meal and didn't clean my palate as some have suggested doing (I don't have any decaf English Breakfast tea Spun). I'm just amazed at how dinner can blow the whole night of bourbon drinking.

I opened a new bottle tonight, sent to me in trade! This is a 9 yr old unfiltered Weller Antique. One word, WOW! Much smoother than the shelf buy and sweet up front with oak in the middle and finish. I get a bit of Molasses up front as well and a bit of vanilla at the end, great stuff.

Thank you Charles!

Tony

I opened a new bottle tonight, sent to me in trade! This is a 9 yr old unfiltered Weller Antique. One word, WOW! Much smoother than the shelf buy and sweet up front with oak in the middle and finish. I get a bit of Molasses up front as well and a bit of vanilla at the end, great stuff.

Thank you Charles!

Tony

Wow 9 yr old unfiltered! Sounds interesting. was it 107 proof per usual?

Tonight I drink a generous pour of PVW15.... this bottle is almost done for.... NOOOOOOO!icon9.gif

Yep! James 107 as usual! I also opened a 13yr Weller Centennial tonight another great pour. very candy like with vanilla, cherry and caramel. The Char in the finish was a great touch.

Tony

another two 50ml of MM on American Airlines... got to the hotel at 4:00AM... is it late or too early to start drinking :o)

another two 50ml of MM on American Airlines... got to the hotel at 4:00AM... is it late or too early to start drinking :o)

Not too late or too early. It is the perfect time!

Out of curiousity, how much does the airlines charge for a 50ml bottle of MM?

Yep! James 107 as usual! I also opened a 13yr Weller Centennial tonight another great pour. very candy like with vanilla, cherry and caramel. The Char in the finish was a great touch.

Tony

I love that Julio's bottling. How did you come across it? So sad that it is not going to be available again at that price point!

With all the talk of it here and on other sites I made a trade with a friend. So last night I opened one to compare to the 10 yr. on the bar. The extra years were very good to this bottle and I too will be sad to see it go.

Tony

Thank you Charles!

Tony

Tony,

I too have a couple of those same bottles. I am savoring the open bottle I have now since it's so darn good. I've always like the Weller Antique but that 9 year unfiltered is over the top.

Last night started with a pour of Dickel 12 and ended with a pour of Weller Reserve. Pleasant evening.

After a relatively rough day at the office...

a short, neat pour of 10YO Wiser's Deluxe

followed by

several (3 so far) Buffalo Traces on the rocks. My 1.75 (decanted into a 750) is now nearly gone. I'm following my 1/8 rule and stashing the rest in the reserve cabinet for future tasting/comparing.

I shall call it the "posterity cabinet."

So far a 13 yr Centennial and now PVW20.... man this is tasting delicious tonight!

Tony,

I too have a couple of those same bottles. I am savoring the open bottle I have now since it's so darn good. I've always like the Weller Antique but that 9 year unfiltered is over the top.

Greg I'm with you on that one! I'm having it and the Julios Weller Centennial 13yr. again tonight! Both outstanding!

Cheers!

Not too late or too early. It is the perfect time!

Out of curiousity, how much does the airlines charge for a 50ml bottle of MM?

In coach it is $5 per... in first they are free. They do not have MM in coach, but I talked them into giving the two they have per flight to me since I was the only one drinking on the plane...

Tonight.. nice short 7hr flight that grew to 8.5 hrs from Boston to LA... I did not have a drop... it was either JD or scotch... I passed...

No whisky of any kind yesterday evening. Instead I had two bottles of Westvleteren 12.

No whisky of any kind yesterday evening. Instead I had two bottles of Westvleteren 12.

I have always wanted to go there and get some of their famous beer. While I'm certain I could probably obtain some through other means, I think it would be wrong of me to go against the monks wishes...for those that don't know, this beer is only available at the Monastery that produces it, one case per license plate, and the receipt says "Do Not Resell"

I have always wanted to go there and get some of their famous beer. While I'm certain I could probably obtain some through other means, I think it would be wrong of me to go against the monks wishes...for those that don't know, this beer is only available at the Monastery that produces it, one case per license plate, and the receipt says "Do Not Resell"

I would suggest trying Rochefort and Westmalle. Both are very good if you can get those. In Germany they are easy to find but not sure for you. The Rochefort especially is close in flavour to Westvleteren.

Kindest,

Geb

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!