What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

ggilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Willett pot still bourbon from barrel 8053. At 94 proof, I expected a more robust palate. Also, the finish was somewhat short and uneventful. I like it, but it didn't wow me.

I've moved on to a 70's Old Forester BIB. Now this one has a finish that's quite eventful. :grin:

Going high class tonight... Old Forester 86 proof. Only think they had here near the airport.... and I have never had it... .. after the nose burns off a little... does not smell to bad... to bad the taste is hahaha... I'm going to need a mixer...

Going high class tonight... Old Forester 86 proof. Only think they had here near the airport.... and I have never had it... .. after the nose burns off a little... does not smell to bad... to bad the taste is hahaha... I'm going to need a mixer...

You gotta get home Spun before they have you drinking your bourbon with an umbrella in the glass icon10.gif

I toast you with some Centennial 13yr. I know that you have many bottles of these at home that miss you very much.

Spun - is that OF a current bottling?

I'm sitting here with the bottle in front of me drinking Weller Antique and I'm struck by how much the picture in the top middle of the label reminds me of the picture on a bag of Sterzings potato chips. Best damn 'greasy as hell' potato chips in the world, made right across the river over in Burlington IA. I'm hungry and a little bit under the influence.

I'm revisiting WT101 and enjoying it much more than my first two tries.

Glad to hear it. I still think it holds up quite well, even after trying some of the top-shelf stuff from WT and other distilleries.

Spun - is that OF a current bottling?

Yes sir... my guess would be 4 yrs old plus time to ship to the store in LA :lol:

Revisiting my 4RSmB. I like it better this time around, although still not quite as much as the single barrel.

Just finished the remains of Dickel 12 bottle last night. Good pour for a change of pace. This bottle will be replaced.

Opened one of the 70's Early Times I picked up today. It's an 80 proof and rather sweet. It's mild on the palate as expected considering the proof. Overall, for an 80 proof, I like this bourbon and will look to pick up some more when found.

Stu, I will be at the Sampler and I grabbed a 750ml of some old tax stamped Early Times and I also found it very good for a young 4 yr old. I believe one of the Gilbert's said they new where some of this old Early Times was in VA?? I will bring the open bottle I have with me. I think it's good stuff.

Tony

I remembered this post today when I spied a 200ml bottle of Early Times. As my earlier post indicates, I opened this one tonight and I think it's quite good also. I'm glad you posted your opinion on this one.

I indulged in the 1982 Virginia Gentleman distilled in Virginia I purchased yesterday. It's 80pf, so not much of a finish. Not bad at all, though. However, if I was doing a blind tasting, I would peg it as a Heaven Hill product because of the pronounced menthol flavor in the middle, as well as anise. And at $11 for a .750, I definitely didn't go wrong.

Tonight I started with some PH 122.6 which was fantastic and now I'm on to OF B-Day '07 which has a really great nose and sweet finish. Man life is good!icon7.gif

Started with some Four Roses Nano Batch (1:1 ratio of 4RSmB and Bulleit). Delicious.

Now on to WT Rye. Even better.

The last sips (about an once) of Bernheim.... and then onto a bottle of something I need to kill... I add more later

The last sips (about an once) of Bernheim.... and then onto a bottle of something I need to kill... I add more later

Hey Spun, How's that Bernheim.... I'm always tempted to pick one up.

I also have a bottle I need to kill that I'm working on tonight. I had vatted 1/3 EC18 with 1/3 Rare Breed and 1/3 JBB to make space on my shelf. The mixture is actual quite tasty, more so than any of these alone.

van Winkle 10 yr old, Lot B, Pappy 15, 20, 23, with Julian pouring and signing bottles at Lush tonight. Lush is a great store (great selections of wine, beer, liquor)and I plan on returning. Many bottles open for tasting. Nice, knowledgable staff.

Really sorry I'm not going to the 'Fest tomorrow. Hopefully next year.

Went out to dinner. Now I'm finishing the evening with a Pappy 20; still my favorite.

van Winkle 10 yr old, Lot B, Pappy 15, 20, 23, with Julian pouring and signing bottles at Lush tonight...

Wish I were there, as originally planned. I hope to make up my failure in Bardstown later this month.

post-367-14489813838902_thumb.jpg

van Winkle 10 yr old, Lot B, Pappy 15, 20, 23, with Julian pouring and signing bottles at Lush tonight. Lush is a great store (great selections of wine, beer, liquor)and I plan on returning. Many bottles open for tasting. Nice, knowledgable staff.

Really sorry I'm not going to the 'Fest tomorrow. Hopefully next year.

Went out to dinner. Now I'm finishing the evening with a Pappy 20; still my favorite.

I am so green I am almost Emerald Green...

XOXOXO

Emerald

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!