What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

ggilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As some have said, JD is not a drink of choice but for me when I tried the Silver Select, it gave me a new appreciation of Jack Daniels. To me the Select at 100 proof was exceptional. Now I'll just have to find out if VA carries the single barrel as mentioned above.

Thanks, and Jeff I will definitely bring this to Sampler.

This whiskey tastes like one aged at least 8 years. I think that may result from the "jump-start" of charcoal mellowing plus the fact that it is (like all SBs I understand) 6 years old at bottling. And once again dumping in cold weather may do something to ramp up the richness. Even if cycling is done in the warehouses they are, I believe, colder in winter than other seasons all things considered.

Extra aging plus hand-selection probably does a lot for JD Single Barrel. It does for other whiskeys, too. A recent bottle of Knob Creek impressed by its round, complex, even-tempered taste. You can taste faintly the roots of the drink such as are still apparent in Jim Beam White and Black Labels. But that extra bit of TLC seems to put KC - recent bottlings in particular - into the front division, shall we say.

Yet this current R-19 seems to stand out amongst all the JD Single Barrels I have had - I am hoping it heralds a new focus by B-F on this traditional American drink.

Gary

Started this afternoon with some AAA 10 year, moved to an '07 Handy (cut to about 100p) and then stepped it down with a late 70's Early Times.

Weller Special Reserve... first time trying it ... wow for $13 this is some decent bourbon.

Started with a shot of W. L. Weller which I thought I enjoyed very much. Second glass was a shot of 15 year old Pappy Van Winkle. Man what a bourbon Pappy is! It isn't fair to drink anything with this Pappy. It made the Weller seem tasteless by comparison. I vote the 15 year old Pappy as best in show. It is in a class by itself.

To start of the night, some Elijah Craig 18, to end it, it is to early to tell!

Thomas

Over the course of the day, I had several things. A little AAA 10yr while I washed the car, a side-by-side with GD Barrel Select and JD Silver Select, and some Willett pot still with my pipe.

Life is good.

Over the course of the day, I had several things. A little AAA 10yr while I washed the car, a side-by-side with GD Barrel Select and JD Silver Select, and some Willett pot still with my pipe.

Life is good.

What's the verdict between the GD and the JD. Interested in your opinion.

Joe :usflag:

I must have left my notes in the car - I'll post 'em tomorrow.

I think of the George Dickel Barrel Select as the quintessential Tennessee whiskey: lots of grain, maples and char. Not too heavy or overwhelming with a lingering finish. I really like the GD BS.

JD Silver Select is extraordinary. It's much closer to a bourbon, albeit a very fruity one. Normally I associate a fruity bourbon with Rye, which means it's also going to have some spice and/or grassyness. JDSS has only the fruit, candied fruit to be exact. I got gum drops or Jujus on the nose. Very intense, velvety, full mouthfeel, long finish.

So, give me a choice between the two, I'll choose the SS, but of course it's unavailable in the US market and costs almost twice as much.

Trying some Jameson's 18 right now. Very nice and mellow, but fairly tame proof and flavor-wise. More malty tasting than the regular Jameson's, which to me almost has a rye spiciness to it.

At its price point I don't think I'd purchase a bottle (this one was a gift!) but I'm glad to have it.

Might finish up the night with another pour, or maybe switch over to some Laphroaig QC.

Cheers!

Out of respect for Jameson's and whiskey in general, I should add that the mouthfeel of the 18 is wonderful and it truly is a first class whiskey. As the pour sits in the glass for awhile the malt seems to increase while the finish gets slightly bitter (not in a bad way). A great nitecap pour.

Guess I like it more than I thought!

Cheers!

EC12 straight outta the freezer. It's been in there over a week, and it was nice and cold...

Scott

Started with a shot of W. L. Weller which I thought I enjoyed very much. Second glass was a shot of 15 year old Pappy Van Winkle. Man what a bourbon Pappy is! It isn't fair to drink anything with this Pappy. It made the Weller seem tasteless by comparison. I vote the 15 year old Pappy as best in show. It is in a class by itself.

I agree Shyster. The Pappy 15 is my favorite, edging out the PVW20 by a margin. If I had to choose one bourbon to drink the rest of my life it would be that one.

Last night was a pour from the Willet "pot still." This is growing on me a little, but still a bit on the hot side for my tastes. I followed that with a freshly made AAA 10yo Old Fashioned and relaxed out on the deck. I love spring!

Last night was a pour from the Willet "pot still." This is growing on me a little, but still a bit on the hot side for my tastes. I followed that with a freshly made AAA 10yo Old Fashioned and relaxed out on the deck. I love spring!

Jeff,

Curious as to your impressions of the Willett. My bottle at least, lacks a definitive finish. The nose is somewhat impressive and the initial entry is good but then dies off rather quickly. Mike Veach mentioned that his bottle has a nice long finish so obviously the single barrel comes into play.

Today started good and just kept getting better. A test this morning proved I'd successfully solved a problem at a customer site. The weather was great, sunny and high sixties (first time it's been that warm since last autumn), so I went for a walk at lunch. Stopped at a bookstore, saw that Tim Dorsey has a new one out, Atomic Lobster. Left work a little early (4:30), and had a good ride home. Walked in, found a cardboard box, opened it to find a bottle of Wild Turkey American Spirit (sent by a fellow SB.com'r).

I have poured myself a generous glass and will take that and my book out to the patio, where I will sip on this fine old bourbon and read about the further misadventures of my hero Serge and his sidekick Coleman.

At least until I have to fire up the grill to cook the steaks my wife bought today.

I'm currently having a Manhattan: 2.5 oz. WT Rye, 1 oz. Cinzano sweet vermouth, 3 dashes homemade bitters. Absolutely terrific.

I will be moving on to some 2007 Handy next. Feels like a night to be exorbitant.

Bernheim Wheat, followed by a wheater to be determined (maybe the Weller SR).

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!