What are you drinking tonight, Spring '08

ggilbertva
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pulled out a bottle that was at the back of the closet....Wathens Single Barrel. Better than I remember....love the finish.

Well I know I'm a couple days late but Saturday evening, We had the honor and privilege of being invited out to Michigan's King Bourbon Hounds house (OscarV) for the first BBQ of the season. The weather was outstanding a the company and food topped that by a mile!

Oscar and his wife put on one hell of a spread with grilled leg of lamb, rice and a green bean dish that was also to die for (Hey Doc? What did you call that dish?)

We started the evening out with Julio's Weller Centennial, ORVW 10/107 and 10/90, Four Roses SB Party Source bottling and some 2006 WTKS.

Then Dinner! After dinner we had some of Jeremy's Baklava (top notch) paired with Cliff's Pappy 23 yr. old...what a pairing that was. Once again we have a standout in the crowd!

We had this discussion, every time we get together we have one stand out bottle and the Pappy 23 stood leaps and bounds above everything Saturday night.

Great thanks to the host and hostess for a wonderful evening and putting up with a couple crabby children at the end. Oscar thank Lynn for playing with Sarah while chasing your cat around. Final thanks to our wives for putting up with us drunks at times and for driving us home!

Cheers!

Tony

OF B-day '07 and then I plan on having my vatted combo of EC18-WTRB-JBB which is really starting to grow on me!

To celebrate the 75th anniversary of the end of Prohibition, I'm hoisting a generous pour of a 2007 bottling of WTKS since I don't have any 3.2 beer around. :grin:

2007 OFBB. It's been open for awhile, and it just keeps getting better. I had a similar experience with the '06, except that it was just plain undrinkable at first. After several months the '06 turned into a pretty decent whiskey, whereas the '07 was great from the first sip.

Again, like the BBs, this one is unique in character - it's not like any other bourbon out there, I believe.

It's a little less dry than when I first opened it, but tobacco and molasses are still dominant flavors. I've mentioned elsewhere I was surprised by this because typically bourbons with that flavor profile are pretty robust, whereas I would characterize the '07 BB as medium-bodied. The mouthfeel is a little oily. I also pick up banana and now a flavor that shows up as it heads into the finish: Bit-O-Honey candy. Great finish - long and velvetty.

Great stuff. I have another bottle bunkered but I will definitely was to snag another one sometime.

18 yr Beam Distillers Cognac finish... very nice... thank you to the provider

Ok, so I started a little early today as it's only 2 p.m.

1980 Cabin Still 86 proof which is SW bourbon. I've neglected this for a couple of months and now that I'm drinking some...wonder why. It's a really terrific bourbon. It has that SW nose and I'm picking up dried fruit and maybe a hint of chocolate. Really delicious.

2007 OFBB. It's been open for awhile, and it just keeps getting better.

Great stuff. I have another bottle bunkered but I will definitely was to snag another one sometime.

I agree the OFBB '07 is fantastic and quickly becoming a favorite. I have to get more before it's gone!

Tonight I drink RVW Lot B and will end with PVW15... man I love these 2!

Just finished off a nice pour of PVW 15. This stuff is just tooooo good.

OFBB 2007. Here's why: Just got the new Malt Advocate and figured I'd read through it. Read a great article about the history of Brown-Foreman and Old Forester. After I was done, I thought I'd better see who wrote it--turns out it was our own frequent poster and Bourbon historian Cowdery. Thanks, Chuck, for an informative piece. Cheers!!

Looking forward to the next special 4R bottling (120th anniversary).

Nice to see a high rating for Lagavulin Distiller's Edition--I have 2 bottles.

A Van Winkle night here. I had a rare 3 drink night starting with Lot B followed by 2 pours of PVW 20. Life is good in Tennessee:grin:

ETL followed by a pour yet to be determined

Booker's! Hot damn!!:shocked:

This is an older bottle a friend gave me. It's 127 proof. I don't think there's a Beam product that comes close to Booker's, it's just beautiful stuff.

Cheers!

ETL followed by a pour yet to be determined

To celebrate the 34th anniversary of Hank Aaron hitting #715 I decided on PVW15 (it is the only 15 year old bourbon that I have)

(Wednesday night, it's the Sazerac 6 since 4/9 marks my 6th anniversary with my current employer. I'm really good at celebrating things. :grin: I just need to be on my best behavior when I answer the phone Wednesday since the president of our company calls a number of employees on their anniversary to chat with them and see how things are. )

All this recent Bakers talk has caused me to pour through that bottle just a little to quickly! It hit the recycle bin tonight...but even as the bottle sits outside waiting for the early morning pick up, I am enjoying the remnants of the pour that sent it there. I am glad this is a bottle that seems readily available.

:toast:

This evening I have drunk two pours of Old Weller Antique. This is a lovely whisky. Thanks to everyone for your recomendation.

Kindest,

Geb

Right now a small dram of AAA 10 year. For a lower shelf bourbon, I really like this neat. This bourbon runs a close second to VOB BIB which is in the same price range.

At this moment, I am basking in the glow of PVW 20 yo. It felt like a one ice cube kind of night and, as it turns out, that was just right.

WTKS and then a glass of FRSB... need to try the small batch first... did not taste good tonight

WTKS and then a glass of FRSB... need to try the small batch first... did not taste good tonight

Spun - I had the same reaction when I first opened my FRSB. I went back to it the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I've found that some bourbons need to be opened....let breath a little and let it open up. I'm not saying that FRSB is the tops for me but something I would definitely pull down and drink again.

Recently, I sampled some superb Jack Daniels Single Barrel and it was so good I thought it merited a note.

The taste of regular JD has never appealed to me particularly except when mixed with cola, but that makes it a different drink. The Single Barrel versions, while better, seemed not all that different from regular Jack apart from the spike in proof although of course bottles did vary. Silver Select was always good yet all these seemed to disclose what I'd call the Jack signature of ripe banana and anise.

However, sampling recently a Jack Daniels Single Barrel bottled on February 1, 2008 I was struck by the richness and extra-fine quality of this drink. It is from rick 19, barrel 8-0350. I saw on the shelves similar-looking (i.e., quite dark) bottlings also bottled on February 1, 2008 from ricks 14 and 15 but haven't tried those.

The R-19 barrel 8-0350 has a deep, dark purplish color (almost like a California cabernet sauvignon), a rich sweet medicinal taste, and lingering notes of bramble or dark cherry. The banana-like notes I associate with Old No. 7 are there but quite subdued and perfectly in balance. I tasted this with some experienced tasters who all admired it and said it gave them a new appreciation for JD. Think of the whiskey equivalent of a big, small estate California cab.

I know some bourbon fans are not enamoured of Jack Daniels but I believe it would open their eyes to try this winter bottling from Rick 19.

I wonder if the fact of bottling in the dead of winter produces on average a richer drink. Since whiskey contracts in the barrel in cold weather, maybe more of the wood sugars and gums stay in the liquid than in other seasons when they reverse back into the wood frame. This is simply an hypothesis and I could be completely wrong. Maybe I just hit a great bottle. Or maybe B-F is putting a new focus on the single barrels (and regular JD too, perhaps?).

Whatever the explanation, this is a complex, rich bottle of whiskey, world class in every way.

I've got more than one and I am thinking of bringing it to Sampler upcoming. I'm limited in what I can bring but I think this may open peoples' eyes.

Gary

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!