So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I see these and other vintage Puros Indios online...good sticks? Worthy of the 86.8 you poured to go with?

My take on the Puros Indios is that for the price, it's really hard to beat this one. The filler blend is nice earthy/woodsy with hints of coffee and dark cocoa. If you wait until these are on sale (Cigars International) you can get these for less than $2 a stick. The Maxima Reserva that I smoked last night has 7 years of age on it and I paid $30 for a box of 20; a great price. The PI Viejo Media are $19 for 20, again sales prices.

The MR went nice with the WT last night. My only complaint with the Indios is at about the last 1/4 of the stick, the flavor transitioned to an almost charred coffee flavor and became a little bitter. Other than that, a fine smoke for $1.50.

At times I get caught up in the hunt for the latest and greatest cigars as well as bourbon.... and forget about all the wonderful "stuff" that seems to drift to the back of the humidor/bunker from long forgotten hunting trips.....

Last night it was Weller 12 and a long forgotten Partagas Corona from a 2002 cabinet. Two quite "pedestrian" products that in all honesty will beat the pants off most of the new stuff.....

Tony - did you get your Partagas Decadas yet?

They are resting in my Coolidor currently. Yes and thanks for the lead!

Tony

Last evening I enjoyed a Davidoff Millenium Lonsdale from the original release. Without a doubt one of the best NC's ever made, IMO. Sadly the price of these today has just gotten stupid.

Paired this with a pour of 2010 OFBB which as I mentioned on another thread was pretty disappointing. If the 2010 OFBB is claimed to be one of the best BB's I can't imagine what the off years tasted like. I am old enough to know better!!

tonight was an EP Carrillo Core, I was gifted this by one of the local cigar shops in exchange for a review. I didn't bother to tell them I've never done a cigar review before:slappin:

I'll post a copy of it here for everyone's enjoyment (I figure you could use a laugh:lol:)

As promised: A review of the EP Carrillo Core (I believe this is the Regalias Real vitola)

Appearance:a few small veins in the wrapper and a couple of small green spots showing. A couple wrinkles in the cap. Firm to the touch, no soft spots.... Foot smells nicely nutty

Cut and pre-light draw: I used my punch as I misplaced my cutter (again!) Excellent draw, not too firm or too light.

First Third: medium spicy with cumin and cinnamon notes,M-F body, slightly wavy burn. Light gray ash holds for a bit over an inch.

Second Third: flavors go creamier with the spice toning down, burn a bit more uneven, not enough to need touchups

Half way: Draw firms up and flavors go earthy

Final Third: Burn line becomes perfectly straight, draw remains firm and the flavors stay earthy but richer.

I'd like to thank Jeff for hooking me up with this cigar, I really enjoyed the chance to try it. EP Carrillo Short Run review to follow as soon as I get a chance.

tonight was an EP Carrillo Core, I was gifted this by one of the local cigar shops in exchange for a review. I didn't bother to tell them I've never done a cigar review before:slappin:

I'll post a copy of it here for everyone's enjoyment (I figure you could use a laugh:lol:)

As promised: A review of the EP Carrillo Core (I believe this is the Regalias Real vitola)

Appearance:a few small veins in the wrapper and a couple of small green spots showing. A couple wrinkles in the cap. Firm to the touch, no soft spots.... Foot smells nicely nutty

Cut and pre-light draw: I used my punch as I misplaced my cutter (again!) Excellent draw, not too firm or too light.

First Third: medium spicy with cumin and cinnamon notes,M-F body, slightly wavy burn. Light gray ash holds for a bit over an inch.

Second Third: flavors go creamier with the spice toning down, burn a bit more uneven, not enough to need touchups

Half way: Draw firms up and flavors go earthy

Final Third: Burn line becomes perfectly straight, draw remains firm and the flavors stay earthy but richer.

I'd like to thank Jeff for hooking me up with this cigar, I really enjoyed the chance to try it. EP Carrillo Short Run review to follow as soon as I get a chance.

Very nice review!! Ernesto,IMO, is one of the best cigar men in the business.....

Enjoyed a Hoyo de Monterrey Des Dieux last night taking advantage of the unusually warm weather here in DC. Outstanding cigar.

Enjoyed a Hoyo de Monterrey Des Dieux last night taking advantage of the unusually warm weather here in DC. Outstanding cigar.

I know that cigar well.....

Last evening enjoyed a La Gloria that Ernesto did in 2001...... Rolled in the DR for what was his first and last "Trunk Show" cigar series. These were custom sticks rolled for a specific customer... great idea but I sense it was not financially fruitful..... Sadly these were outstanding cigars and sold for under $165 per box. At the 9+ year mark they are smoking very well and just starting to develop some vintage "attic" undertone flavors.

post-1354-14489816947666_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816947905_thumb.jpg

post-1354-14489816948135_thumb.jpg

It's a busy time at work, so I thought taking the lap top out on the deck and having a cigar would make working on a Saturday night a little more enjoyable. Started with a Fuente Hemmingway Signature. For some reason, this one just wasn't up to the usual level I expect from these cigars, so I followed it up with a Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve toro. It was an enjoyable cigar, although I'd agree with the reviews I read that said it's not quite as full bodied as you'd expect and a little uncomplicated.

Today, on the Bourbon Deck I enjoyed a Padilla Corojo and a pour of the new Parker's Heritage 10 y/o Barrel Proof Wheater. Nice combination.

Joe :usflag:

Today, on the Bourbon Deck I enjoyed a Padilla Corojo and a pour of the new Parker's Heritage 10 y/o Barrel Proof Wheater. Nice combination.

Joe, that is a damn nice combination.... I bet the big front end sweetness from the PHC really complemented the Padilla....

Yesterday, I celebrated another Birthday with my family. My Father and son enjoyed their pipes while my brother and I enjoyed a cigar, my smoke being a Bolivar Belicoso from 2008 I believe.

A the bourbon tasting today, Fricky gave me a "Cain-F" by Oliva. I believe this to be one of the best cigars I have ever smoked (and that would be many) and the equal of any Cuban IMO. Thanks Doug.

Maduro Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 last night balanced against a few seasonal beers. The natural 8-5-8 started me down the road of enjoying cigars many years ago, and I've always found it to be a good, enjoyable cigar.

Enjoyed some eagle rare with monte edmundos from 08 with gee-man. A good afternoon. :cool:

Well....I have a little cigar "problem" right now. I slipped the bands off some Cuban Cohibas and was going to claim they were Dominican and ship them home....But there is no tobacco allowed in the mail any more.

I have 70 days till I head home at the end of this contract and have probably 100 Cubans on hand (Romeo y Julieta, Partagas, Montecresto, Cohibas) that I am going to have to smoke before I leave.

Today when I got off work I had a Romeo y Julieta Churchill, and in a minute before going to bed I'm going to have a Partagas. But alas; no bourbon to go with them.:smiley_acbt:

La Aurora 107 Corona. Pretty enjoyable smoke, though having had the same stick in a Belicoso size, I'd have to say it wasn't quite as nice as the bigger stick...the belicoso was one of the best sticks I've had. Possibly the corona needs a bit more time, as it wasn't added to the line until the last minute, meaning the other sizes were rolled earlier and had a bit more rest before release. I'd expect the forthcoming lancero to need time as well.

had a Cusano 18 Year Maduro last night. goes well with the Elmer T. Lee. a good way to kick-off the baseball post-season.

On the deck enjoying a Punch Punch and a glass of Lot B. 70 degrees in Iowa in October, hard to beat this.

I had a Hemingway short story the other night with a co-worker- very good smoke. paired with GTS, Handy, and WT 8 year it was very enjoyable.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!