So what is everyone smoking?

cigarnv
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On the deck with a CAO La Traviata Maduro and...a cup of coffee. Took an afternoon nap and have yet to dive into the bourbon. I'm thinking it's time to revisit Four Roses and OFBB 2010, yet again.

Decided on a nightcap & smoke before bed. Paired a couple of pours of 1994 EWSB with a Macanudo Duke of Windsor. Good way to end the weekend.

Long drive today so I did a bit of unwinding with a nice pour of ER101 and an Oliva G maduro bellicoso from 2008. A ton of flavor in that thing!

Cheers

Tony

DR Montecristo Classic Blend robusto last night. This is easily my favorite version of the DR Montecristo and has been a smoke that has never disappointed me.

compared the Don Pepin Series JJ Sublime and the JJ Maduro this weekend with a pour of Blanton's. the maduro didnt burn too evenly, and the draw got really hard about 1/4 of the way into the smoke. the Sublime was pretty good though; id have that one again.

compared the Don Pepin Series JJ Sublime and the JJ Maduro this weekend with a pour of Blanton's. the maduro didnt burn too evenly, and the draw got really hard about 1/4 of the way into the smoke. the Sublime was pretty good though; id have that one again.

A friend had given me a JJ Maduro Lancero, with the caveat that the one he smoked burned horribly...the one I had burned perfect, drew wonderfully and tasted very nice indeed.

interesting. i wonder if there's something to it, or just coindence with our JJ Maduro experiences. glad you enjoyed the one you had.

I'm chasing you Oscar. All while on the back deck with ER10, Modelo Especial, and a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero.

• 2 weeks later...

smoked the Don Pepin My Father last week. that was delicious.

last night was an Upman #40 with a pour of BT.

JR's cigar special last week was the Partagas Black Pearl. i keep seeing ads for it everywhere, so i figure ill give them a try once they sit in the humidor for a while.

I stand the over-night watch and last night was my night off and I am quartered in a hard building with a flat roof and stairwell access. So I was on the roof at sunrise, and we've had a bit of wind so there is some dust in the air, the entire eastern horizon was bright red as the sun came up. Quite beautiful if you just forget you're in Iraq, enjoyed a Churchill sized Habana Montecristo with a Diet Coke (damn General Order #1).

props to you. my brother found some NA beer that he would drink while in Iraq.

last night i enjoyed the La Aroma de Cuba and the their special edition (with the two girls on the label instead of the one). both were excellent.

today im going to try the CAO Brasilia. just some JB to go with it since thats my football gameday beverage.

• 2 weeks later...

It's official-- I have made the biggest mistake of my life.

So, I go to our local Tinder Box on 2nd St. in Harrisburg, PA. I walk in and find a couple business guys in suits smoking cigars and reading the Wall St. Journal (well, at least 2 of them were).

The tobacconist, reading a magazine, looks up at me as I'm looking up, down, and across the big wall humidor, perusing different brands and formats. I finally locate the Ashton Virgin Sun Grown (VSG) series that has become my personal favorite the past few years.

"If you have any questions, feel free to ask..." I hear the tobacconist say behind me as he sits in his chair, reading his magazine.

I take another look at the VSG that I pretty much had my heart set on, but then curiosity overtakes me-- I notice a brand that I can't find in the tobacco shop that I normally purchase my Ashton's from. The brand of cigar is called Davidoff. They have a classy appearance, and seem to be of decent quality. Their prices were just a small notch above the Ashton VSG's I was looking at.

So I turn around and ask "what can you tell me about these Davidoff cigars? Would they compare favorably to an Ashton?"

A small smirk forms on the tobacconist's face as he folds his magazine, then gingerly sets his small cigar (a cigarillo, perhaps?) in the ashtray next to his burgundy leather chair.

"Ashton makes some quality cigars," the tobacconist replied, "but Davidoff is a whole other dimension of complexity." He then stands and walks over the humidor in front of me. He picks up a trio of Davidoff cigars, explaining "Davidoff is made of only Dominican tobacco. The Classic series is their standard offering, we also have their Millennium, which has a slightly fuller body..."

Then he picks up a slightly smaller cigar, whose distinguishing feature is the gold-colored band around the tip, as opposed to near the other end, where you hold it. "And this one," the tobacconist continues, "is their Puro d'Oro-- Pure Gold. The wrapper leaf was developed specifically for this cigar in the Dominican Republic."

Mesmerized, I bought it right then and there.

I then look toward the entrance, to find all 4 of the guys reading the newspapers looking at me, and nodding their approval of my decision. "You'll never be able to smoke any other type of cigar after that!" exclaimed one.

"The Davidoffs are better than sex!" chuckled a black gentleman in a business suit, with a thick Caribbean accent.

When I got home, I poured myself a glass of Compass Box Hedonism (a vatted grain Scotch), went to my back patio, and lit it up. It lit evenly without effort. At the first puff, I knew right then and there, THIS was my cigar! It had the refinement of an Ashton, with the spicy kick of a Carlos Torano, and a surprisingly-full body, even from the relatively-diminutive size (it was technically a Corona, but definitely on the small end of that spectrum).

They were right. There is no going back now!

• 2 weeks later...

had the Bolivar Cofradia last week which was good.

today i had a Partagas, which was fine.

followed it up with the Partagas Black Pearl which i enjoyed a lot. i would definitely get some more of these.

...today i had a Partagas, which was fine.

followed it up with the Partagas Black Pearl which i enjoyed a lot. i would definitely get some more of these.

Have you tried the Partagas Spanish Rosado line? It's a medium-full bodied smoke with plenty of spice.

Bell's Batch 10,000 with a Fuente WOAM. This was a nice pairing that played nicely together.

Cheers!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

It's too freakin cold outside to smoke but that didn't stop me from ordering a couple of samplers. Don Pepin's "Top 25" sampler of 15 cigars that includes the Tatuaje. Also ordered Alec Bradley 10 cigar sampler that includes the Tempus, a very nice smoke. So, I got 25 cigars of good quality for around $2.75 a stick. Not too shabby. Now, if it would just warm up a little so I can enjoy a stogie or two over Christmas.

Haven't had time to burn one since getting back to the US, but........

I was able to get ~60 of my little Cuban friends home, I intend to introduce one to a little Kentucky culture in the next day or two :rolleyes:

Enjoyed a nice La Gloria Cubana Wavell natural from about 2003.. delicious and still less than $5 a stick for the current releases!!!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!