Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today?

JamesW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Received my order of Glenfarclas 40, Springbank 12 CS, and Port Charlotte PC7.

Very bummed to see the Glenfarclas was leaking when I opened the tin. The cork also fell apart, and now I'm scared to find out what's inside. After years of receiving orders, I have two bad corks in a week! One was a bottle of Don Julio 1942 that smells/tastes WAAAAY off (terrible musty funk) from what it usually tastes like. This GF40 was supposed to be my "wedding bottle", so I'm hoping the retailer can help me out in some way.

Hope you can get the leaking bottle resolved!

Picked up a Talisker 18 at $80 because I wanted to try it before the price goes through the roof. Also decided to try the Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or sitting nearby on the shelf on a whim because the sauternes finish sounded interesting, most reviews have been pretty good here and elsewhere and I like a touch of sweetness...

Edited by tanstaafl2

I haven't had the Glenmorangie 18, but with that said the Nectar d'Or is a runaway favorite from that distillery for me.

Had just a taste of the Talisker last night. Has been a while say I had much of the more briney scotches. Will be interesting to work through this one! Looking forward to trying the Glenmorangie.

Butting in for a quick question. I used to love the Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish. But, I don't think they make it anymore? Is that right? I think there were a couple of other finished ones, as well, that I found enjoyable. Those still made?

Butting in for a quick question. I used to love the Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish. But, I don't think they make it anymore? Is that right? I think there were a couple of other finished ones, as well, that I found enjoyable. Those still made?

I just noticed Florida ABC has Wiser's Legacy Pot Still Rye on the available list. Have any of you FL guys seen this on the shelves?

I think that is the Quinta Ruban - saw it at the store last time I checked.

I should add that at least one review said the former Port Wood Finish was different from the current Quinta Ruban port finish bottling.

I have no personal experience to say one way or the other of course!

Good info as I didn't realize it wasn't a description but an actual expression name - thanks! The one I really want to try is Signet but not sure I'd want to drop that kind of coin on a bottle.

I just noticed Florida ABC has Wiser's Legacy Pot Still Rye on the available list. Have any of you FL guys seen this on the shelves?

Squire, You got my attention on the Wiser's Legacy and this is great news. This has not been available here in good old America. Gary Gillman brought a bottle over the border to the Bardstown gazebo maybe two years ago and it was mighty tasty. I recall a lot of red berry fruit, excellent rye spice, subtle wood and the heft that comes from pot still. And I'm lucky I remember that much :grin:.

Doing a little internet research and I see that Corby entered into a distribution agreement with the old WT owners, Pernord Ricard USA, on July 1, 2012. Wiser's was previously distributed here by McCormick Distilling. The President of Pernod USA promised greater marketing and distribution and he's delivering obbviously (still doesn't make up for how they f***ed up WT though).

Here's some other information on it. Aged in toasted barrels too.

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/reviews/j-p-wisers-legacy-canadian-whisky-review.html

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?16476-Canada-Border-Crossing/page2

Squire, You got my attention on the Wiser's Legacy and this is great news. This has not been available here in good old America. Gary Gillman brought a bottle over the border to the Bardstown gazebo maybe two years ago and it was mighty tasty. I recall a lot of red berry fruit, excellent rye spice, subtle wood and the heft that comes from pot still. And I'm lucky I remember that much :grin:.

Doing a little internet research and I see that Corby entered into a distribution agreement with the old WT owners, Pernord Ricard USA, on July 1, 2012. Wiser's was previously distributed here by McCormick Distilling. The President of Pernod USA promised greater marketing and distribution and he's delivering obbviously (still doesn't make up for how they f***ed up WT though).

http://www.canadianwhisky.org/reviews/j-p-wisers-legacy-canadian-whisky-review.html

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?16476-Canada-Border-Crossing/page2

IMO, The top two Canadian whiskies* currently on the shelves here are both Corby products: Wiser's Legacy and Lot no 40! The top end products from Forty Creek are close in quality but not worth the $20-$30 premium.

*Not including those that are distilled and aged in Canada but bottled in the USA (the 10 year olds from Whistlepig, Mastersons, and Jeffersons)

Edited by portwood

They indeed must be making headway, Thad. I saw Legacy on the shelves in either Tennessee or South Carolina last month. I remember Gary's bottle as being quite nice, too!

I was in Ocala for Christmas, and I saw the Legacy and 18 year in every ABC store. The Legacy was on sale for $35 and the 18 year was $55. I picked up two of the 18 years - a very subtle but delicious and complex whiskey - but no Legacies, a decision that makes me weep with regret.

Got a big box from The Whiskey Place this morning. 4 bottles of the Laphroaig 2012 Cairdeas Origin, and two bottles of Amrut Fusion. The Cairdeas is amazing. I had a bottle in the fall and wanted to bunker up before it was gone forever. I really think Laphroaig is my favorite distillery.

The Laddie Ten - have heard good things about this one.. but an unpeated Islay? Should at least be interesting.

It is, well, I haven't had that expression, but the lightly peated Bruichladdichs I've had in the past were quite interesting.

It is not as uncommon as one might think. Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila and even Ardbeg, with their Blasda, have had an unpeated or very low peated expression.

Worked on filling out my blended collection:

Chivas Regal Stone of Destiny

Dewar's Signature

Johnnie Walker Blue

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!