What are you Drinking Fall '08

SBOmarc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I only have half a bottle of Maker's stocked at the moment. I'll have to remedy this next time I hit the candy store, err... I mean liquor store.

On my next grocery list, I have:

Basil Hyden's

Woodford Reserve

Booker's

and Blanton's

I did plan on buying a bottle of Macallan 18, but four Bourbons for the price of one Scotch sounds much more appealing.

Trying a little 1792 tonight, finding it a little less than inspired. Waiting for the WTAS to arrive in the big brown trunk, hope it gets here soon!

I only have half a bottle of Maker's stocked at the moment. I'll have to remedy this next time I hit the candy store, err... I mean liquor store.

On my next grocery list, I have:

Basil Hyden's

Woodford Reserve

Booker's

and Blanton's

I did plan on buying a bottle of Macallan 18, but four Bourbons for the price of one Scotch sounds much more appealing.

Do yourself a favor and try Old Grand Dad, first. It is the same bourbon, as BH, at half the price and more proof.

I had some Wild Turkey 101 after after opening night for my bowling league. I've been bugging the bartenders to get the owner to bring in some BT, but they've not come through yet. BT is about $0.20 more for a 750 here in Ohio, so there's no excuse.

A circa-1960 Martell Cognac at a friend's house. It was very dark in color with a chocolately tone, excellent stuff and rather different than Cordon Bleu of today. (Possibly the 1960 was not the Cordon Bleu of its time though, it had no designation on the bottle other than Martell Cognac). It reminded me strongly of the 22 year old Old Forester (1916-1938) Mike Veach kindly gave me a taste of recently. If you took the wintergreen out of the Forester, the two would be hard to tell apart I think. I think there was a fashion once for this kind of dark cocoa-like spirit.

There was also produced a 1970's-era Remy Martin. Different in style than the Martell: paler, soft and rich with the roundest taste imaginable. We say often that bourbon in general was better generations ago; I am thinking now this must be true of brandy too.

Gary

Do yourself a favor and try Old Grand Dad, first. It is the same bourbon, as BH, at half the price and more proof.

One of the things I like about Basil Hayden's is that it is perfect "as is," no need to add a splash of water to cut it.

I know the story behind Basil Hayden / Old Grand Dad, but I wasn't aware Jim Beam produced OGD as well? Or is Basil Hayden's an imitation (perhaps an ode?) to OGD? Either way, I'll give it a try. I do like bargains, even if it does mean having to cut it to get the same drinking experience.

Tonight I had the pleasure of tasting Charbay Double Barrel Whiskey (1st release). I found it to be very sweet and very fruity. I was shocked that this was around 125 proof as it was incredibly smooth.

I then was lucky enough to have some LeNell's Red Hook Rye. Now I know what all the raving is about! I never thought I would get to try this gem so I was indeed honoured!

Scott

Went to see Laibach tonight, had 2 Manhattans at a bar before the show and a few of lesser quality (with ice, in a disposable plastic cup, and with no maraschino) at the show. Finally, the glass I've been waiting for, some VWFRR, the latest batch, which was waiting for me in a big FedEx box (along with a FR1B and a FR120 :] ) when I arrived home. I was worried when I saw they had restarted the lettering but this tastes as good as I remember right now! (Then again, it's late and I've had a few. One thing is for sure though, I'm quite satisfied!) It seems slightly spicier than I remember (that's a good thing). :]

Yesterday we had a promotions meeting attended by the director of marketing for The Belle of Louisville (an almost 100 yr old Steamboat). He was talking about Jim Rutledge and Four Roses sponsorship of The Great Steamboat Race during Derby Week, and it reminded me that I had some fine (and Mellow) Four Roses products waiting for me at home. I decided on a pour of FRSB last night.

-Joe

This morning, I work night shift I'm having a little Wt 101 followed some Booker's then it's off to bed for the day.

Last night it was a couple of pours of Jim Beam Black. I'm just not diggin' this bottle as much as I have previous ones. This bottle is more astringent, and not as full and rich as prior JBB, which has been a favorite of mine for some time. I am liking the new metal screw cap, though. I prefer cork, but the metal has a better look and feel than plastic.

W L Weller Special Reserve, neat.

I have both the current BT bottle and some old S-W.

I have done a few of side-by-sides.

The first time I felt the BT was better, it seemed less hot and more sweet.

But the last two times I did this it seems like the BT was dry and the depth and length of the S-W was outstanding, clearly my favorite.

A pour of ER 10/90 Julio's bottling. Gotta bowl tonight. Might sneak some in with me.:skep: It's much better than anything they have at the bar. Joe

Watching Cubs/Dodgers with a healthy pour of Everett's Weller 12. Absolutely marvelous stuff. Candy in a glass.

Weller 12 yr... almost too thin... it is the MM of the Weller line :(

I'm not saying you are wrong and I'm not sayin' you're right.

But, damn!,...You are talkin' Welloer,,..right?

I'm not saying you are wrong and I'm not sayin' you're right.

But, damn!,...You are talkin' Weller,,..right?

yeah... I am very disappointed in this one... I love the Centennial, this I will skip in the future... to much for to little...

yeah... I am very disappointed in this one... I love the Centennial, this I will skip in the future... to much for to little...

yeah, OK, I hear you and I agree.

Hmm,.. I like other opinions.

That's how I learn.

This morning, remember night shifter I'm trying out some 1792 RR I picked up this morning seems pleasant enough. Sweet not any alcohol burn to it all. Won't be my regular pour but I would buy it again.

Nothing.

I was over-served last night, (by me).

And looking at some of the posts I made then I was wondering if Mr. Butler could hook up a breathalizer to this site so that people like me can't post when they have been over-served.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!