What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter '08/'09

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Weller Antique now. Debating on opening my new bottle of Benchmark. Joe

Good stufff... probably the best $20 bottle on teh market

FR1B tonight, one of my faves.

Crazy busy these days, too much traveling. The FR is a superb way to unwind. Back at it hard this weekend but the FR at the end of the day is something I really look forward to.

Cheers!

Going back to give Hirsch 16 Gold Foil another try. No, doesn't do it for me. I still can't figure out what all the fuss is about. For the same $ I could have bought another Pappy 20. I had to give it another try, but I'll put this way in the back and maybe I'll change.

Jim

A generous double of Dickel 12 on one small rock.

(okay its not a bourbon, so sue me)

It *was* a bourbon for nearly half a century, so rest easy. :)

The original Dickel enterprise left Tennessee with statewide prohibition in 1910. Dickel was produced by A Ph. Stitzel and later Stitzel-Weller, and became part of Schenley in 1937 - whereupon its production, Lincoln County leaching vats and all, was transferred to what is now Buffalo Trace.

Dickel did not return to Tennessee until 1958, so it was actually labelled "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whisky" (without an 'e') for the better part of 48 years.

Bowled a 590, my team took 5 points out of 7, but the best news of the night is that the bar in the bowling alley finally brought in the bottle of BT that I've been asking for since September. Woo! :grin:

Our much-anticipated ice storm is now upon us, so I am in an unusually insomniac mood and quietly reflecting upon the world through a very fine lens of WT101. Its rye kick is perfect for this weather.

Going back to give Hirsch 16 Gold Foil another try. No, doesn't do it for me. I still can't figure out what all the fuss is about. For the same $ I could have bought another Pappy 20. I had to give it another try, but I'll put this way in the back and maybe I'll change.

Jim

Jim,

I believe the later gold foils became victim of being in the tank too long. I had some Hirsch Blue Wax last night and it was fantastic. I also have an open gold foil and it's nasty neat and ruins whatever I try to mix with it. You probably have a late gold foil in which case time will not make it better.

It became unseasonably warm today in Louisville with temperatures in the 60s... Still, the warmth of '08 WLW was a great way to start the weekend and I'll probably pour something else after dinner tonight.

-Joe

ERSB with a smoked brisket sandwich on ciabatta and sweet tater fries.

Popped open a bottle of GTS '08 tonight.

Wow. This ranks WAY up there on my list of great bourbons. I've consumed many different bourbons in my day, and a select few would qualify as being not merely a drink, but an 'experience.' This is one of the latter.

I believe the later gold foils became victim of being in the tank too long. I had some Hirsch Blue Wax last night and it was fantastic. I also have an open gold foil and it's nasty neat and ruins whatever I try to mix with it. You probably have a late gold foil in which case time will not make it better.

Thanks Greg, guess I'll just leave it in the back. What I don't get is how it is currently commanding $200+. It wouldn't be priced that high unless someone was paying that much. I'm bummed and I paid less that 1/2 that, what a waste.

Oh well, tonight is a new bottle of GTS '08. What a treat! Either it is better than the '07 or I just needed to get rid of the taste of the Hirsch!

Jim

Thanks Greg, guess I'll just leave it in the back. What I don't get is how it is currently commanding $200+. It wouldn't be priced that high unless someone was paying that much. I'm bummed and I paid less that 1/2 that, what a waste.

Oh well, tonight is a new bottle of GTS '08. What a treat! Either it is better than the '07 or I just needed to get rid of the taste of the Hirsch!

Jim

Tonight I enjoyed a mid 80's Rebel Yell and then moved on to the Julio's release of RHF. That Rock Hill is a cherry fiesta.

Went to my wife's company Christmas party tonight. Had MM on the rocks all night. I still like MM. Besides, the alternative was JB White. Joe

It's warm here, but had to start a fire in the outdoor fireplace. Have a nice selection of Christmas decorations out back too, to gaze at. Sat out there for a couple of hours contemplating life with a couple of pours of BT (Good), 04 ER17 (Gooder), and McScrooges S-W Pappy 15 (Goodest!). A handful of smoked almonds, and a Padron and Hemingway Best Seller, and JoeyWorld was open for business!! I's gots it all figgered out, now. :D

Cheers!

Started with some WLW'05. I've really been enjoying this bottle, and will be sad to see it gone. Since there's only an inch left in this one, I cracked open my new WLW'08. Wow....nice!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!