What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter '08/'09

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started with ER101 Lawrenceburg, went to Four Roses Single Barrel, and wrapped up with a Stagg '08 vs. Fall '05 deathmatch. The '05 took the honors for tonight.

two quickly poured (but slowly savored) glasses of this amazing WT101 rye...mentioned probably elsewhere, but i've had some slightly disappointing return visits to some favored WT bottlings....the latest Rare Breed was great but not as before....and heck, three recent WT101s were just not as amazing as usual.

but after having had a wonderful winter break of trolling and plowing through a variety of things--Handy Saz, Saz 6, Benchmark, Van Winkle 12, etc etc--this is truly a wonderful pour and perfect mashbill. i gotta admit, i like 101 rye BETTER .... yep, better than that dusty of the 8 year i found...well, maybe not. but that's a memory. this is happening NOW:bowdown:

(it's nice to be simply thrilled by a pour:grin: )

I had a Dickle showdown between No 8 and No 12. I found the 12 to have a more familar bourbon taste, but the 8 was fantastic with the taste of warm home made bread and a bit of honey.

I've started the evening with WTRR101 and ER101....

I wonder what other 101 I could go to????:grin:

I had some BT at the bowling alley after shooting my average and the team took 2 of 3 points.

The bowling center manager came up to me and asked me if I was the one drinking that "Buffalo $h!t" in the bar. When I confirmed that it was me, she (a former bartender) said "I thought you only drank the good stuff, like Makers Mark".

I told her that my tastes have changed and I need to slum it now and again. :cool:

She said that she would order another bottle in for me since the other was 2/3 gone. :bowdown:

Yeterday it was WT 101 from the 90s and vintage 21 rye with the later being my ladyfriends all time favorite whisk(e)y.

Leif

Old Ezra Rare Old 7yr 101 Sippin Whiskey. Pairing it with a handful of Emerald brand Cocoa Roast Dark Chocolate flavored Almonds. Yowza, that's good!!

My dad and I tried out the 6 and 10 year old Zinfandel finished bottles of BT Experimental Collection I bought back in November. The 6 year was really good. While the 10 year was good it wasn't better and kind of had a medicinal taste like some single malt scotches.

Rock Hills Farms for the first time trying to get to know one another.

Well worth making its acquaintance.

Did a side-by-side tasting of this year BTAC ER17 with the regular 10 year expression...here were my notes...

ER10...

Nose: Strong oak, a hint of vanilla and maple sugar, strong alcohol vapors

First Sip: Spicy rye, oak and leather...not harsh but very in-your-face.

Next: Sweetness opens up and I'm getting that maple sugar I smelled, a softer feel in the mouth although the alcohol is definitely present in the flavor.

Finish: Fairly longish with a great lingering oak and hints of ripe fruit.

BTAC ER17...

Nose: Very woody/tannic, but hardly any alcohol burn in the nose

First Sip: Soft, silky texture is the first thing I notice followed by a touch of creamy caramel...it tastes vaguely woody, but most of this is still in the nose.

Next: Vanilla. The entire flavor profile in this seems very subtle.

Finish: Soft lingering wood that goes on forever...I imagine the barrel resting in a pastoral meadow with soft moss growing all over it....delicious.

After that, I decided to vat the two together 1:1 to see what I came up with...I was very pleased with the results:

ER10 & 17 Vat....

Nose: Maple sugar...woody but so sweet

First Sip: The flavor almost knocked me over it was so big...much more so than either alone...rye, very strong tea with cream, and sweet maple

Finish: The tea flavor continues and is joined by that wonderful soft oak.

This combo is a real winner (if not especially inventive). I'm usually a purist and don't get into vatting, but I'll definitely be doing this again. When I finished this pour I started all over again with the 10 to the 17 and then mixed the two again...everything was a lot sweeter the second time around, but this was just a great night of bourbon tasting!

Started with a couple of Four Roses Single Barrel, neat.

Then did a big left turn, Pappy Van Winkle 15yo, neat.

Nice.

Tonight it's going to be some 1974 Hirsch. I have to check the bottle to make sure it's doing ok. ;-)

BB

That would be Maker's Mark for me neat..

dang! not one to add water to the water-of-life, wherever it be come from...! but a slight slight slap of water in this everDiminishing bottle of WT Rye REALLY opens it up to a creamy, complex experience. there is no sense of it being 'diminished'...only mellowed and deepen'd...truly amazing

oh and i had a Philadelphia Brewing Co. KENZINGER with a hot dog tonight...and Plochman's mustard...and Herr's chips (prefer Utz....). very nice on a wet winter night. wish it was colder and snowing and icing...

Weller Centennial tonight.

I got a miniature of Gentleman Jack in my stocking this year, so I will probably consume that at some point as well. :)

1st pour was the 2008 Handy! This bottle is almost empty!

2nd was a vatting 3:1 Weller 12 with a splash of 4RSB - I have to say they play well together!

Tony

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!