What Bourbon Are You Drinking Winter '08/'09

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had some Pappy 15 this morning for breakfast, then this evening I am treating myself to some GTS '08 in one of my new Glencairn glasses from Malt Advocate. In case you missed that thread, go here.

We had our traditional Christmas Eve celebration with a house full of family and a great treat this year...My son and his family in from Hawaii (Hickham AFB) for the first time in three years! It was lots of fun...capped off by a pour of one of my favorites... PVW 20.

Merry Christmas!

-Joe

Earlier I was drinking El Tesoro reposado but now I'm drinking some Handy. Talk about a contrast. The El Tesoro is quite flavorful since it comes off the still at the second distillation at just a couple proof points above its bottling proof of 80 but the Handy still has three times as much flavor.:grin:

Tomorrow I will be taking a couple bottles of mead (Redstone Traditional Mountain Honey Wine) over to my brother-in-law's for Christmas along with a few bottles of Pinot Grigio. I might take a bottle of Baby Saz and some fixin's for some Old Fashioneds but based on who I know will definitely make it, considering the weather, I doubt there will be any whiskey drinkers there.

Had a flight of Eagles tonight. ER 10/90, Er 10/90 Julio's, BTAC 2007 ER, and ER 101 from 1981. Merry Christmas! Joe

Yesterday I had vintage 21 rye and ORVW 10 107. Both were excellent. With the Christmas meal (we calibrate December 24 in first hand) I had 4 different home flavoured neutral spirits.

Leif

Finished a great Christmas dinner and decided to pass on dessert. (OK, postponed... I'll have it later.)

Sitting by the fire and counting my blessings... which include a healthy pour of PVW 23 SB.

The last of the Christmas Day guests have left, and I'm relaxing with some ORVW 10/107. Actually, I've been sipping this stuff all day. Will probably progess to some Pappy 15 & 20 later.

Having a Merry Christmas pour of Rare Breed '96 in a huge crystal snifter my wife gave me for Xmas....it works very, very well....

I started off with some VWSR12, then went to some '08 GTS, and now I'm sipping on some '08 Saz18. I'll probably move on to some Rittenhouse BIB next. We have some people over and my cousin has been all over my last batch of homebrew so in addition to enjoying some primo whiskey I also get the satisfaction that my friend and I did well on our beer! :]

Although I arrived at my favorite watering hole after the kitchen closed for the night so I didn't get any dinner, I did get to enjoy a couple of Bulleit Manhattans. The bartender has really gotten the hang of putting them together just right.

Although I arrived at my favorite watering hole after the kitchen closed for the night...... .

My sympathies....... I hate when that happens.

My favorite bars were, and still are, those with a 24 hr. restaurant as part of the same business. To me, that's a big selling point..............

Another pleasant evening with WTRB & VWFRR.......some might say, the best of both worlds.

I did share some ORVW 10 107 and ORVWFRR B with my 19 year old son yesterday after our Christmas meal. My other son (21) doesn’t drink any alcohol at all so he had to settle with coffee.

Leif

Went to an after Christmas, Christmas party/open house tonight. Had a lot of stuff. ER 10/90, Weller Centennial, ETL, Gentleman Jack, JD & JD Single Barrel. Great party with great friends. Can't wait till New Tears Eve! Joe

Went to Heaven Hill's tasting room and tried the EW SB Vintage (98) and the EC18.

I was disappointed with the EC18 (sorry Andy). There was too much tannic oak on the end of it.

I was very pleased with the EWSB. It wasn't mind blowing, but considering I am not generally impressed by any of the EW expressions, this was outstanding. I rated it .5 higher than the EC18 on my personal 10 point scale.

Went to Heaven Hill's tasting room and tried the EW SB Vintage (98) and the EC18.

I was disappointed with the EC18 (sorry Andy). There was too much tannic oak on the end of it.

I just finished off an EC18 tonight and I agree that it IS quite tannic, maybe too much so. Still, I can handle a little oakiness, and it seems that on the second pour of the night this flavor diminishes considerably. I'm not sure if I will replace the fallen soldier right away, however....might let it be until I feel a hankerin' for chewing on a piece of oak...

IW Harper,. 200ml dusty find today from 1982... this is good bourbon... Cougs... there will be some waiting for you.... and do not bother to dusty hund I10 from LA to Tucson... they done been had baby :D

Four Roses Single Barrel, the TC/OVH bottle, neat.

Ok ya'll are probably thinking, he sure is at it early.

Well yeah I guess I am but I am off work (injury) and don't go back until Jan 12.

I am only having one,... um, at a time.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!