Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select 17yr

BengalMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened one of the bottles that arrived earlier this week and must say that I am very impressed. Very long on the finish, great nose. This may require that I continue to investigate this bourbon all weekend.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Just poured myself some JRPS and the "cork" came out of the stopper (actually the "cork" stayed in the bottle and I had the rest in my hand). That's bad enough, but then I notice it isn't even cork. I know that wine guys are all over screw tops and synthetic cork, but for bourbon? Really? Anybody else think that for 90 bucks, one ought to get cork?

Jim

Just poured myself some JRPS and the "cork" came out of the stopper (actually the "cork" stayed in the bottle and I had the rest in my hand). That's bad enough, but then I notice it isn't even cork. I know that wine guys are all over screw tops and synthetic cork, but for bourbon? Really? Anybody else think that for 90 bucks, one ought to get cork?

Jim

For Bourbon I don't see any disadvantages of synthetic cork. Since it doesn't age once it hits the bottle something less porous would be better. As long as synthetic cork doesn't turn to some sort of goo with prolonged contact to high alcohol content it would be better in the long run, too. Less chance of cork deterioration.

Since with whiskey the cork is only used as a stopper and not as kind of a test for quality as it is with some wines I almost think we'd be better off with synthetic.

For that money though, I would like my synthetic cork to stay attached to the topper.:cool:

Just poured myself some JRPS and the "cork" came out of the stopper (actually the "cork" stayed in the bottle and I had the rest in my hand). That's bad enough, but then I notice it isn't even cork.

Jim

Mine as well....Couldnt believe my eyes when I saw the synthetic cork! Makes me ponder the price on this bottle

For those West Coaster's. The JRPS was shorted to the distributors and is rescheduled for delivery to Oct 28th. Now we have to wait another month.

It might be just me but I don't find a lot of what I consider SW profile in this whiskey.

To my tongue, while it is a nice wheater, it doesn't taste

anything like Old Fitz, ORVW 15 or SW sourced Pappys. I was somewhat

disappointed especially since I sprung for a second bottle on faith. :rolleyes:

FWIW

It might be just me but I don't find a lot of what I consider SW profile in this whiskey.

FWIW

Otis my man!

You waited almost a year and one-half to post your first post. You really must be disappointed with the JRPS. I'd be willing to give it a try.

Anyhow welcome.

Will

I had a dram of this at Frickys. I found it to be pretty good and definitely in the S-W vain. I think it was from batch 2.

Joe :usflag:

FWIW

After having a glass myself, I can agree that it is not in the classic 60-70s vein of SW.

I recomend you play with a couple glasses on this bourbon to see if you can optimize. Stay away from Crystal. The Birdman and a couple others have commented on how bitter and woody it is from the crystal Glencairns. Major impact on the taste. The glass Glencairns bring out a much better taste (I too have played with both to confirm....)

I had a dram of this at Frickys. I found it to be pretty good and definitely in the S-W vain. I think it was from batch 2.

Joe :usflag:

I agree. This is right in the heart of the 1992-1994 Old Fitz BIB SW that I have. It reflects the end of the SW life.

I agree about the Glencairn glass, I would not have thought so a year ago, but I am convinced now that whiskey tastes better out of some glasses than others.

I use something quite like Glencairn but larger, I didn't like it at first but I now I find it is best for whiskey. I don't like the long distance the whiskey takes to travel down the glass frame, that is my only objection.

The JRPW of course won't be quite like 60's and 70's S-W because it is older than any of those and twice as old or more than the typical S-W product. Still, to my taste there are notable resemblances (I have only tried batch 1 so can't comment on batch 2). I find it quite close personally also to the ORVW 15 (the original S-W and even the later Pappy 15 which is very good) and the Pappy 20 and 23. Not identical but even those brands seemed to vary amongst themselves over the years.

This bourbon is a mild-flavoured (as are all wheater bourbons) drink, it can disappoint if taken after some strong-tasting bourbon or any other powerful drink or food. It is best when one hasn't had anything before, or after dinner when the palate has recovered from any strong tasting food, beers or wines. A special occasion bourbon but amongst the best in its class for that I would say.

Gary

I finally tasted some of the Jefferson's yesterday at Binny's and I agree with what others have said. It's definitely SW whiskey and is very good, although it's not the best SW whiskey I've had by a long shot. It reminds me of that Everett's bottling of Weller 12 from a few years ago, that contained 16- and 14-year-old SW whiskey. A bit overwooded, but still quite tasty.

But, for the money, I'd rather have two bottles of Lot B.

This spontaneously started appearing in NY stores in my area. (Stew Leonards, Yonkers)

I won't buy it at the price they're charging, $99, but I didn't think it would make it this far.

I got my bottle from Binny's, but this still hasn't shown up in Southern California yet, as far as I know.

For those West Coaster's. The JRPS was shorted to the distributors and is rescheduled for delivery to Oct 28th. Now we have to wait another month.

Glad I went on-line and had some shipped in from back East. It's too good to wait.

Jim

It's available several places around Boston but I'm fairly indifferent after nearly finishing my first bottle. I'll save my sheckles for BTAC and Pappys.

This spontaneously started appearing in NY stores in my area. (Stew Leonards, Yonkers)

I won't buy it at the price they're charging, $99, but I didn't think it would make it this far.

I had a few samples at barrel strength (149.9 proof) at Binny's on Saturday. Quite good but heavy on the wood, as noted by Chuck C.

I have yet to come across batches #1 and #2, so cannot confirm that multiple batches exist. I'm sure "Lost Pollito" would know.

I had a few samples at barrel strength (149.9 proof) at Binny's on Saturday. Quite good but heavy on the wood, as noted by Chuck C.

I have yet to come across batches #1 and #2, so cannot confirm that multiple batches exist. I'm sure "Lost Pollito" would know.

:bigeyes:Almost 150 proof? That is disappointing. I've found that my particular taste doesn't care for the highest proofs (GTS for example). I try to start neat and add water as necessary which makes them an inconsistent pour. I'd much rather have a 110-120 proof that I know I like neat.

:bigeyes:Almost 150 proof? That is disappointing. I've found that my particular taste doesn't care for the highest proofs (GTS for example). I try to start neat and add water as necessary which makes them an inconsistent pour. I'd much rather have a 110-120 proof that I know I like neat.

WsmataU....that was a sample and not the abv that's on the shelf. The shelf proof btl is 94 proof.

:slappin:I'm an idiot. I was surprised because I've been so enamored with the JRPS that I didn't think I'd overlook something that significant. I'm still waiting on my first taste, but Jefferson's Reserve is still a favorite of mine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.