Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select 17yr

BengalMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We went to Kahn's in Indy this morning to pick up boxes for the move.

Guy behind the tasting station pulls out a bottle and says, "Have you seen this yet?". Of course I had "seen it" here.:grin: I then was presented with a sample to try. I must say...that's some tasty stuff!

Got a call from my buddy at Liquor Barn in Lexington today and Jefferson Reserve 17yr. is in. Price quoted was $88.49.

-Clay

I was just getting interested until I saw that price. I guess it's wearing off, but for me to pay that I'd have to know it was better than Pappy20 and something tells me whoever doesn't outdo Julian on selection yet.

I was just getting interested until I saw that price. I guess it's wearing off, but for me to pay that I'd have to know it was better than Pappy20 and something tells me whoever doesn't outdo Julian on selection yet.

Although I did not actually see the price tag ... the store I was in said he had it for about $50. Still not a budget bourbon but better than $90

Although I did not actually see the price tag ... the store I was in said he had it for about $50. Still not a budget bourbon but better than $90

Yes Dale, $50 is much more reasonable and if it really is good stuff then I'd pay it for 17yo SW whiskey.

Your retailer may have his price points mixed up. I think the regular Jefferson's Reserve goes for about 50 bucks. After tasting the Presidential Select the 88 dollar price tag really doesn't bother me. If you can get the JPS for 50 don't hesitate.

Your retailer may have his price points mixed up. I think the regular Jefferson's Reserve goes for about 50 bucks. After tasting the Presidential Select the 88 dollar price tag really doesn't bother me. If you can get the JPS for 50 don't hesitate.

And I'll take a case at $50!

I just popped a bottle of PVW 20 to compare to the JPS. I am by no means an expert, but here is what I think:

Appearance: Very similar almost identical. Brownish amber, more yellow than orange. The JPS was just a touch darker than the PVW which surprised me. But then I remembered that the PVW is a lower proof than the JPS

Nose: PVW: Oak, alcohol, orange with a touch of maple

JPS: Vanilla, oak, buttered toffee, maple, caramel

JPS wins.

Taste: PVW: Sweet green apple, pecans, vanilla, wood

JPS: Caramel apple, cinnamon, vanilla. Not quite as sweet as PVW

PVW wins, but not by much.

Finish: PVW: Long, balanced, sweet, woody

JPS: Long, woody, slightly tannic over sweetness but not overpowering.

Tie.

IMO the JPS is at least AS good as PVW 20. The prices are similar around here so I am still not deterred. If you'd pay 90 bucks for PVW 20 then give the JPS a try.

I tasted them both neat in Riedel bourbon glasses. After the comparison I poured what was left of each sample into a rocks glass, added a couple ice cubes and it may be the best thing I've tasted in a long, long time.

Your mileage may vary.

He may have ..... I'm going back Tuesday to pick up more boxes ( I still have 70 bottles that need to be packed for the move). I will check then and report.

Are you sure Chuck? Botteled from the last yaer of the SW distillery does not mean it was bottled WITH SW juice. Just means it is all 17yr juice.

Again, if the juice is good, who cares, but if it was 100% SW juice you would have thouht these guys would have found a way to say that without interpretation ... like:

"Jefferson Reserve Presidential Select 17 yr. Distilled and barreled by SW during their last year of production - DSP 16"

For some reason, this bugs me too, Emerald. Like you say, if the bourbon is good, who cares. I agree. But, it just seems odd that a definitive statement is not being made on the provenance. At least, a definitive statement, when it counts.

For some reason, this bugs me too, Emerald. Like you say, if the bourbon is good, who cares. I agree. But, it just seems odd that a definitive statement is not being made on the provenance. At least, a definitive statement, when it counts.

For what it's worth, I think they have been definitive about the provenance, they've just made a few unfortunate word choices in the process. There's no game afoot here. It's wheated bourbon distilled at Stitzel-Weller in 1991 and aged there for 17 years.

What's the name of this store? I may have to go to Indy. I got a bottle for $90 in Lex over the weekend and my wife actually thought we should buy more!

What's the name of this store? I may have to go to Indy. I got a bottle for $90 in Lex over the weekend and my wife actually thought we should buy more!

As has been noted, perhaps I was misquoted. We will see tomorrow, but it looks from statements forn others, it may only wishful thinking.

I sent an email to Castle Brands, asking them if ALL of the bourbon in the Jefferson PS was distilled at Stitzel-Weller. Trey Zoeller quickly wrote me back with this:

"That is correct, the bourbon was distilled in November and December of 1991 at Stitzel-Weller. I hope you get a chance to enjoy a bottle."

Well, that's good enough for me. It's still an odd choice of words on the label IMO, but I see no reason to now doubt what is in the bottles. Stitzel-Weller bourbon.

I sent an email to Castle Brands, asking them if ALL of the bourbon in the Jefferson PS was distilled at Stitzel-Weller. Trey Zoeller quickly wrote me back with this:

"That is correct, the bourbon was distilled in November and December of 1991 at Stitzel-Weller. I hope you get a chance to enjoy a bottle."

Well, that's good enough for me. It's still an odd choice of words on the label IMO, but I see no reason to now doubt what is in the bottles. Stitzel-Weller bourbon.

Joe,

Thanks for the forward thinking on this subject. Now, lets drink!

Indy

And by "indeed" you mean you have a glass of it for me as well?

You've earned it with that bottle of sw old fitz. :cool:

As has been noted, perhaps I was misquoted. We will see tomorrow, but it looks from statements forn others, it may only wishful thinking.

Well, it was too good to be true. He was quoting the regular juice. They only had a sample bottle and do not have it in yet and do not know the price point yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.