What are you drinking Winter 2009/2010

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's been bourbon lite for me lately....going long days at a stretch not indulging. But....last night I really enjoyed a '79 Yellowstone and tonight, I plan on pulling something from my rebarrel along with some other tasty treats. Here's what I'm thinking

'59 Old Forester BIB

'74 Old Fitz Prime 86

'08 Handy

'80 Old Fitz BIB (delicious 8 year SW :yum: )

'07 Stagg

'09 Stagg

JPS

PVW 20

....hey, it's Christmas so enjoy the good stuff.

Four Roses Single Barrel Strength selected by Binny's.

This is the OESO, 20% rye mashbill with the rich fruity yeast.

The same one that was used for the "Jim Rutledge 40th Anniversary"

The 40th bottles were low proof, anywhere from 102 to 108 and 13 1/2 years old.

This Binny's OESO is 116.6 proof and 10 1/2 years old.

First sip was a little hot, I cut it down to 102, which is about 0.15 water to 1 whiskey and yeah,... there it is, the classic fruit sweetness and rye spice at the same time, man-oh-man that Rutledge is an artist.

A '98 WTKS Pewter Top and a circa '85 Turkey decanter of 8yr 101. The 8yr bourbon is twice as dark as the KS, which seems odd considering the proof is the same. I also like the taste of the decanter better, but the finish of the KS sparkles more and lasts longer.

I was thinking the two combined might be something like the American Spirit I had recently, but after vatting them I'm pretty sure this is better. Unfortunately the bottle I had is gone so I'll never know. Somebody needs to come over and try this. Josh, are you in town?

The over/under for someone jumping the gun on starting the Winter threads was 2 days. Em came in with the under at just short of 18 hours early.

For his effort, he wins a 2010 calendar from Despair, Inc.

He will also get a years supply of the 2009 OFBB! :grin:

Tony

He will also get a years supply of the 2009 OFBB! :grin:

Tony

Man, I've got about 3/4 of a bottle and I feel like it will last me a lifetime.

I cracked open a mid 80's handle of Old Taylor that ACDetroit snagged for me over the summer. This is my first exposure to the classic OT profile with the butterscotch nose and the oily mouth feel.

Man, this is good juice. I'm glad I've got it in the family sized bottle.

I cracked open a mid 80's handle of Old Taylor that ACDetroit snagged for me over the summer. This is my first exposure to the classic OT profile with the butterscotch nose and the oily mouth feel.

Man, this is good juice. I'm glad I've got it in the family sized bottle.

That is great juice... Nothing like some good old OT... I think I might like the 86 over the BIB...

Had a long day at work today. After work, my wife, son, daughter in-law, grand daughter, and I had a nice family dinner and exchanged gifts. One of my gifts was a 1999 EWSB gift set. :grin: Had a pour of that, then ended the day with a pour of one of my very favorite bourbons. ER 101. Cheers and Merry Christmas! Joe

OGD 86 proof in some egg nog earlier, good stuff! $15 for the normal, $32 (on sale for $28) for the BIB. HAHA... yea... NO

Last night I polished off the last of a bottle of Binny's Weller 12. I am almost glad it is empty so I won't be as fixated on it and I can move on to something else. Good juice!

Well, the kiddo had us up a 5:30 for Santa....now back to bed.

Merry Christmas, all.

Brought a bottle of mid 90's vintage Benchmark over to my brother's house last night. He said he was out of bourbon and that won't do at all on Xmas eve.

Also received a bottle of VWFRR and couldn't wait to get home so now I'll have two of those open. I think I foresee some rye drinking in my future.

Not much bourbon yesterday, but a lot of other good drinking including 4 different home flavoured snaps to the Christmas table. However I did at least pop open an ORVW 15 for the first time in over a year to the almond cake after dinner. I tasted very good and defiantly better than I did remember.

Leif

Having some of the whiskey that I got for Christmas first I had a pour of Blanton's now I'm having a pour of Bernheim wheat whiskey. I hope everyone is having a great Christmas.

away from the bunker at the parents' house, and no bourbon to speak of here. However, my dad cracked open a Macallan 18, which was mighty nice.

The same Old Taylor as last night and just as tasty as I remember. :cool:

09 GTS, 07 WLW, and 08 ER17. Having some good stuff after spending most of the day with family. It was a great day to say the least. Joe

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!