What are you drinking Winter 2009/2010

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoyed the end of a tough year with my first taste of Very Very Old Fitzgerald, fall 1963/fall 1975. Amen!

I think 2009 was bitter sweet for a lot of different reasons for a good amount of us...there was the birth of my twins in 2009 that I'm specifically thinking about on the plus side, there was the economic challenges that we've had to face on the down side. I ushered out 2009 with a pour of JRPS 17yr Batch 1...I haven't had this one since September and it was much better then I remembered...the nose on this was something to die for! I followed that pour with my staple go to bourbon...Pappy 15! I have to admit that I prefered the nose of the JRPS but I thought the finish was better on the Pappy 15. All this being said, I enjoyed the JRPS 17 so much that I'm contemplating getting another bottle of Batch 1 for the bunker! ;)

I didn't have a NYE pour because I am just able to breathe through my nose again today...But Bob, you may have talked me into cracking a JRPS for tonight. I think I will go with Batch 2.

The last bourbon of 2009 was a NAS OWA. Not yesterday but a few days ago. I'm compelled to add: THIS BOURBON IS GOOD.

I think this years is better than any of the years past. I have a few unopened of each and will be doing some comparisons hopefully sometime soon.

Celebrating a Buckeye victory in the Rose Bowl with some Curtis/Hightower Four Roses SB.

Wooo!!!

:woohoo:

Old Fitz BIB in a Glencairn. Starting the inebriation quite late tonight, as I was up at the crack of 2pm due to very late night festivities. Poker starts in an hour or so, wish me luck.

Having a pour of FRSmB while watching and rooting for UC to upset the Gators and Urban Liar!

Popped a JRPS Batch 2. My sense of smell isn't 100% yet but I could tell that it started off somewhat harsh and woody, but as I nursed it I noticed it starting to open up to the pleasantness I remember from batch 1.

Ended 2009 / Started 2010 having some ORVW 23 Year Old 114 Proof

I really like this stuff. My neighbor has shared a few pours of this with me

and he said this is great bourbon.

This bottle should be gone tonight especially after enjoying the Sugar bowl so far. $350.00 in two days awfully expensive.

GO GATORS!!

I have been a big fan of most of the Evan Williams Single Barrels, so I jumped on a 2000 the other day. Hitting it again, tonight. Man, am I underwhelmed. Maybe, I'm just suffering palate fatigue from the Holidays, but I just can't find anything to this whiskey. Little nose, little taste, and less finish. Hopefully, this is either just a boring barrel, or I have killed all sense of taste, and I just need to take a break.

All is not lost, as the ND OGD BIB I'm on now is Shaaaaamokin'!!!!!!!!! :yum:

WTAS tonight while watching the blow out...I wish this game was closer, the wife is trying to get me to change it to Ghost Whisperer.

had a little Black Maple Farms Small Batch with friends who wanted to break out that bottle. Considering having another taste of the 2009 Stagg which is just plain awesome.

New years was ER 17 2007 and tonight finished off WT tradition. Its been a good two nights. tim

WTAS tonight while watching the blow out...I wish this game was closer, the wife is trying to get me to change it to Ghost Whisperer.

I have been a big fan of most of the Evan Williams Single Barrels, so I jumped on a 2000 the other day. Hitting it again, tonight. Man, am I underwhelmed. Maybe, I'm just suffering palate fatigue from the Holidays, but I just can't find anything to this whiskey. Little nose, little taste, and less finish.

Yikes! I just bought a bottle of the 2000 as a gift for my friend's 50th birthday. Maybe I'll get lucky with a better barrel.

Enjoyed a few pours of New Orleans bottled Benchmark on New Years Day.

An excellent budget bourbon at $9 a liter.

Not much bourbon on New Years Eve, but a bit more yesterday. I did have black Beam from 1982 and uncut 15 years HH from Cadenheads before dinner. The Beam that is under half now has changed a lot from oxidation and the bitter tannins are almost gone and there are pleasant sweet flavours of vanilla and other nice stuff. After dinner I had Handy 2008 with the coffee, JDSS with the apple pie for dessert and Stagg 09 late at night. This dessert is one of my favourite food and drink combinations all row I have chanced the fat homemade vanilla souse for a high quality factory made vanilla yoghurt the last 2 times I have had it to be able to lock my trousers. Stagg tasted at its best with a few drops of water this night.

Leif

Man, am I underwhelmed. Maybe, I'm just suffering palate fatigue from the Holidays, but I just can't find anything to this whiskey. Little nose, little taste, and less finish. Hopefully, this is either just a boring barrel, or I have killed all sense of taste, and I just need to take a break.

I had palate fatigue last night, either from the New Years Day Ham or sensory overload from my first taste of VVOF, the night before. Nothing came around for me. First was a WT 101. It was just blah, so I then added some WTRB to it and still no difference. WTRB solo continued into nothingness. Just to confirm this phenomena, as I had never had it before, I went to a tiny pour of PVW 15 and zippo. Good thing the coffee is tasting back to normal this morning.

The Reid and Emerald selected Willett, neat, still celebrating the Holidaze.

I think I will do teh same. I have had a bottle opened for about a month now... lets see how it is...

and Happy New year Mr Hightower...

Nice choice Oscar... I picked up a bottle of Hancock's. A single barrel selection for Liquor Barn in Louisville. I gotta say, it aint bad. Reminds me of a milder Blantons (if you can imagine that):cool:

I think I will hit my Pecan Pie in a bottle next as well, Oscar !!!:grin:

I think I will do teh same. I have had a bottle opened for about a month now... lets see how it is...

and Happy New year Mr Hightower...

Nice choice Oscar... I picked up a bottle of Hancock's. A single barrel selection for Liquor Barn in Louisville. I gotta say, it aint bad. Reminds me of a milder Blantons (if you can imagine that):cool:

I think I will hit my Pecan Pie in a bottle next as well, Oscar !!!:grin:

I've spreading the wealth with this bottle, several SB.com members have gotten Christmas samples from me.

Next time you guys raid Drew's pantry let me know.

I've spreading the wealth with this bottle, several SB.com members have gotten Christmas samples from me.

Next time you guys raid Drew's pantry let me know.

I hope they let those puppies open up... and thank you for sharing... fun juice... fun juice...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!