What are you drinking Winter 2009/2010

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonight I opened an '09 WLW and enjoyed it very much. My favorite to date has been the '06 release but now I feel compelled to do a side by side and see which one comes out on top.

Julio's PVW 15 tonight, I love this stuff!

Ahhh... The crusade PVW SB.... That has been the gem of the crusades thuse far with the group.

I am not sure when I will break down and open one again... That juice is just to good...

giving my bottle of blanton's another try, after tasting some of the "from the barrel" stuff i have to wonder if there's anything that should be cut with water before bottling. I mean, the answer is probably yes, right, but I do seem to like the higher proofs and the higher percentage of actual whiskey. Also, this bottle is sentimental, as it was my best man gift. Eh, not bad, but also not 50 dollar whiskey. Ah well, to the bride and groom!

I did have Dickel 12 before a dinner with my 2 sons yesterday. Then Stagg 2009 afterwards. Later I did go to a nightclub to listen to a couple of local bands. I did have a MM from the bar and a WT 101 from early 90-is as a refill from my pocket bottle. Well home again at one a clock I was hungry again and had a full meal of Christmas food again including beer and snaps wile watching Seinfeld on television. There is a lot of eating and drinking going on in Sweden this time of the year for sure! Old tradition we have.

Leif

A little bit of a lot of stuff.

Started with a Wild Turkey on the rocks, (cheers Amy and Josh)

Then had a Baker's neat, (in your eye guys)

Took a ghetto turn on location for some Evan Williams 8yo 90 prf neat (party on Bevis), nothing like ghetto drinkin' in Ypsi

Slowed down for the ride home,....

Now I got me a 4R1B neat and complete!!

I'm gonna do it, gonna finish off a bottle of ER101. Only so I can make room for another 10 year old 101 proof bird that will help me ring in the New Year!

A little bit of a lot of stuff.

Started with a Wild Turkey on the rocks, (cheers Amy and Josh)

Then had a Baker's neat, (in your eye guys)

Took a ghetto turn on location for some Evan Williams 8yo 90 prf neat (party on Bevis), nothing like ghetto drinkin' in Ypsi

Slowed down for the ride home,....

Now I got me a 4R1B neat and complete!!

giving my bottle of blanton's another try, after tasting some of the "from the barrel" stuff i have to wonder if there's anything that should be cut with water before bottling. I mean, the answer is probably yes, right, but I do seem to like the higher proofs and the higher percentage of actual whiskey. Also, this bottle is sentimental, as it was my best man gift. Eh, not bad, but also not 50 dollar whiskey. Ah well, to the bride and groom!

Man, no caffeine since lunch and I'm still wired at 11PM.

I guess that I will have to remedy that with some 80's era Old Taylor 86 proof while this one sided bowl game wraps up.

This is my first bottle of KY Vintage. It won't be my last. Really nice everyday pour. Good burn and wood on the finish and in the nose.

This doesn't seem to get any props from most people I've noticed, but I like this bourbon a lot.

Started with a pour of EWSB '98, then WT101 and wrapped it up with WTRB. These 3 bourbons were good when I first tried them, but every day they seem to get better. I know what I'm filling my bunker with when I get rich!

Eric

Bowling night tonight. :rolleyes: JBW and coke. But....... I brought some WTRB with tonight. Definitely made the night a lot more bearable. :grin: Next week? :skep: Not sure. Me and Gary will come up with something. Gary mentioned bringing some FC. I'll probably bring something different too. :grin: It's all good. Joe

Sentimental value aside, I agree with you; all good bourbon should be offered in a barrel proof unfiltered variety. There really is no other way.

The difference is really astounding. How I got to try the barrel proof blanton's is funny enough. In the same bar I found the blue wax, chatting up one of the owners. I had actually never seen the different labels on the blanton's, and he gave us a pour of the blanton's "from the barrel" which I have yet to see anywhere else up here in NYC (surely, it must run from the tap in KY). I had been hoping for a taste of the WR Seasoned Oak but I'll never turn down a free dram. So much tastier than the regular pour!

Also, somewhat on topic, somewhat off topic: For those who know the business, is it really that much more expensive to distill at a lower barrel proof so you're not cutting the finished product with so much water at the end? I thought most barrel proofs were 120-130, so seeing that Four Roses's barrel proof iterations are mostly around 105-110 was a discovery for me.

to celebrate the DEMISE of 2009, a nip from the samples Matt sent my way. Hrm, GTS 2009 or OFBIB? I think the HAZMAT is a great way to send out what's been a sometimes hazardous year.

to celebrate the DEMISE of 2009, a nip from the samples Matt sent my way. Hrm, GTS 2009 or OFBIB? I think the HAZMAT is a great way to send out what's been a sometimes hazardous year.

This year's stagg is incredible. if you were to look up bourbon in the dictionary, there should be a picture of a GTS bottle there, it is sheer essence of bourbon, existing in at least 5 space-time continuums and fifteen dimensions all at the same time.

The difference is really astounding. How I got to try the barrel proof blanton's is funny enough. In the same bar I found the blue wax, chatting up one of the owners. I had actually never seen the different labels on the blanton's, and he gave us a pour of the blanton's "from the barrel" which I have yet to see anywhere else up here in NYC (surely, it must run from the tap in KY).

We can't get the barrel-proof Blanton's in KY either.

Sazerac / Buffalo Trace does not own the Blanton's label, although they produce it and distribute it in the US. That distribution agreement limits what expressions are available domestically.

We can't get the barrel-proof Blanton's in KY either.

Sazerac / Buffalo Trace does not own the Blanton's label, although they produce it and distribute it in the US. That distribution agreement limits what expressions are available domestically.

Please explain further I thought that it was Elmer T Lee that came up with the idea of Blanton's and of the single barrel bourbon.

My understanding is that the Blanton's brand is owned by Age International, Inc. -- which is, in turn, owned by a Japanese company.

A bit of Louisville Old Weller Original 107 to start the Festivities tonight.

Since a New Year is a comin', I'm gonna sneak a nip or two of some of my 'shine tonight. Thank Goodness my BIL brought me a new jar for Christmas. My Current Ball Jar is gettin' low. :D

Ringing in the New Year on the East Coast with a healthy pour of Weller Centennial.

May your 2010 be as good as mine as going to be... :)

Sippin' on the last of the 86 proof OGD ND Juice... Good stuff. I am taking it slow tonight... long week with little good sleep...

The last bourbon of 2009 was a NAS OWA. Not yesterday but a few days ago. I'm compelled to add: THIS BOURBON IS GOOD.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!