What are you drinking Winter 2009/2010

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did have WT101 from 1982 before eating another Christmas table yesterday. It tasted better than ever before from this bottle that seemed no need a lot of oxidation. After dinner I had vintage rye 21 with the coffee and ORVW 15 with the almond cake. All three tasted splendid!

Leif

More proof that bourbon does not give you a hangover. Before dinner Manhattan with equal shares of Heaven Hill BIB and Rittenhouse BIB. The glass of wine with Christmas dinner followed through the wonderful long evening with pours of Old Fitz SW Prime, Old Fitz SW BIB, JPS Batch 1, Binny's Weller 12, WT Rare Breed-03-93, and a finale of PVW 15...all shared with a few interested family members. Not sure anyone was truly converted or took in my bourbon history ramblings but they did enjoy exploring a world beyond Jack, Jim and Jose.

WTR before one more Christmas table, this time with my 2 sons. After dinner I had ORVW 15, Handy 2008, and right now OGD 114. Nice drinking evening as the earlier Christmas days.

Leif

Starting out this Sunday evening with some 2005 Saz18 in one of my new crystal Glencairns. My girl got me a 4 glass set w/pitcher & watch covers. I must say, the pitcher is pretty, but it looks handmade. A bubble or 2, and it sits a little crooked. I like to think it's had a few drinks.

About the Saz:

Color: A Copper Penny

Nose: Thai Cuisine, Curry, Atomic FireBall Cinnamon

Palate: Red Hots and more Cinnamon. Some cotton candy also makes an appearance

Finish: Sweet. A little maple and oak make it through at the end.

Conclusion: Makes me feel like I'm eating candy at a state fair. One with farm animals, a ferris wheel, and hay strewn about.

This bottle was given to me by a friend of mine, when it was bout half full, about 6 months ago. I believe he had it a good six months prior to that. Said it gave him heartburn. With the tasting notes above, I don't feel it yet, but I would have to agree.

This stuff is pretty good. I'll have to cut some Handy down to 90 proof and see how it compares. Both straight up, I usually prefer the Handy to the Saz18.

Starting out this Sunday evening with some 2005 Saz18 in one of my new crystal Glencairns. My girl got me a 4 glass set w/pitcher & watch covers. I must say, the pitcher is pretty, but it looks handmade. A bubble or 2, and it sits a little crooked. I like to think it's had a few drinks.

About the Saz:

Color: A Copper Penny

Nose: Thai Cuisine, Curry, Atomic FireBall Cinnamon

Palate: Red Hots and more Cinnamon. Some cotton candy also makes an appearance

Finish: Sweet. A little maple and oak make it through at the end.

Conclusion: Makes me feel like I'm eating candy at a state fair. One with farm animals, a ferris wheel, and hay strewn about.

This bottle was given to me by a friend of mine, when it was bout half full, about 6 months ago. I believe he had it a good six months prior to that. Said it gave him heartburn. With the tasting notes above, I don't feel it yet, but I would have to agree.

This stuff is pretty good. I'll have to cut some Handy down to 90 proof and see how it compares. Both straight up, I usually prefer the Handy to the Saz18.

Keep in mind that the Handy is a young Rye, probably about 6 years old while the Saz is 18 years old. You should find the Handy to be more spirited than the Saz. Both good pours nonetheless.

I am drinking a much deserved Wild Turkey Tradition 14yo.

I am winding down after 3 days of festivities.

I feel like I have been working at a resturant/hotel this weekend.

Friday we hosted my wife's family, Saturday out of town friends and today my family, whew! I'm gonna get another Turkey.

Finished my latest GTS bottle just before the holiday and took a break because of all the goings on. WT101 tonight, its good to get back into the swing of things.

enjoying some Weller antique reserve. :grin: (sr and 1/107 vatted 50/50) BT really needs to add another 100 proof Weller back to the line-up.:hot:

Had a pour of FRSmB followed by a pour of ETL 90th...getting green apples and pears on the nose of the ETL...never gotten that from any other ETL before! :bigeyes:

Travled with a WT Tradition, not alot left in the bottle. Good palate but too much burn for me. Needed ice and time to tame. tim

WRSO, Stagg 2009 and Handy 2008. All neat and very good indeed. I did like the Woodford best and I thought it was the most intense as well despite the much lower proof.

Leif

...I did like the Woodford best and I thought it was the most intense as well despite the much lower proof

Yes, the new WRMC Oak is very intense and unusual. I've only two bottles so far, but may get more to set back for later.

I am currently drinking the best damn WT I've ever owned- a Kentucky spirit no-symbol wood top. It is, hands down, the most gentle and honeyed WT I've ever tried.

I decided to play around and combine two open bottles of OWA. One was about 1/4 of NAS and the other was about 1/3 of a bottle of '08. I liked both of these whiskies by themselves. The jury is still out on the combination... The finish of the combination seems more woody/tannic than the finish of each one separately. Plus the alcohol seems more pronounced. I think I'll come back to it in a day or two.

Finally had my first taste of Weller 12 and it is definitely an excellent bourbon imho. Since they do not have these in NJ, I will have to load up next time I can get my hands on these.

Da Bears! Had a few tonight. Weller SR, OWA NAS, Weller 12, ER 101 NO, and had the last pour from a 375 of 78 Benchmark. Joe

Glad I don't have to work tomorrow. :grin:

Went out tonight and started with a Black and Tan...no good choices at the bar! :( Then went GJ and diet the rest of the night...sorry to dissapoint...no bourbon...TN Wiskey tonight! :D

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!