Show Us Your Stash!!

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Taste it? I split it with him! Dave is willing to drink more of it than I am though. I usually only use it to demonstrate what a certain bourbon tastes like before it's stepped on.

Dave,

Mark already answered #1

#2 -- I happen to like OWR. My only issue is that it would be improved by raising it's proof to 100.

#3 I have three bottles of GTS. What you can't see in the picture is that the upper shelves are three bottles deep.

#4 I'm not sure what earthquake safe means. I have a small lip tacked to each shelf about 1.5 inches back. This prevents my bottles and glassware from taking walks. Containers filled with liquid tend to stabilize themselves to some degree during a temblor (as a opposed to an empty container), though I'm not suggesting you fill your home with water grin.gif I suppose the most effective mechanism might be to dig a swimming pool, then float the collection in an opaque, temperature controlled vessel of some sort. Face it, if the big one hits, we're fuc*ed anyway, and my bourbon supply will be about the least of my worries.

#5 I've got three of them actually, one is off camera. Yes they were recent purchases. I'm going over to the liquor store where I purchased them today to see if they have more. They had 1.5 cases when I purchased those about ten days ago. They had three cases before I told some folks here about it wink.gif I'll let you know.

Omar,

Your collection is one that all of us want to see...Please post a picture of the entire collection...It's probably one of the finest collections of "old" bourbon there is grin.gif ...

I was gonna post mine...but everyone here, knows what the Heaven Hill products look like...but they do sit on a really nice "OLD" side board that's over 200 years old blush.gif ...The back board is mirrored and you know what happend...a big flash in the picture tongue.gif

Oh well, there is one special bottle that I recieved...What a great surprise...I came home from work one night and there it was sitting on the dining room table...Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,...I know it's Early Times...but it represents the earliest days of our family history and my present day history...At the age of 14 my great-grandfather Joseph L. began work in the Early Times Distillery grin.gif ...founded by his Uncle J.H. (Jack) Beam...That very same distillery has been under several names...but the first, was Early Times...It's down the road from Gethsemani...Trappist Monks...

In the Early 70's....(Ahemmmmm..... blush.gif I could have been, 5 years old at the time blush.gif ... smirk.gif Oh hell, get ya boots on! smirk.gif) they tore down all of the remaining warehouses...My daddy said, Iffin your gonna build you a house someday get the lumber from those warehouses...Finest lumber around without a knot in it...I spent a entire summer pullin nails and sorting through lumber...Stored it in a barn until we built this house that I live in today...(except for the deck)....Soooooooooo......this bottle of Early Times---although not the one from the beginning) is very special to me....

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-14489811126517_thumb.jpg

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I happen to like OWR.

Here's a photo of my stash. Unfortunately, it's missing the 3 bottles of Stag and the big bottle of Buffalo Trace 1.75 that my sister FORGOT to bring to my parents at Christmas. I hope to get them the weekend after next.

I am too lazy to move all the bottles out of the way and take a pretty picture, so here is the list on the back row, left to right...

Paul Jones American Blended Whisky (I found it at my parents house at Xmas; my grandfather used to work for Paul Jones; it's for sentimental reason - I don't think I'll ever taste it); Old Fitz BIB, Old Fitz 12 yo, Elijiah Craig 18 yo, Wathens, unopened Buffalo Trace signed by ET Lee, ERSB, VW Family Reserve Rye, Van Winkle 20 year old (empty).

The middle row is Old Overholt Rye, Old Fitz 1849, Very Old Barton 100, Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, Elmer T. Lee SB, AAA 10 yo old, VW 10 yo, WV 15 yo.

The very front row on the right is Evan Williams SB and OF 100. I just finished off the WT Rare Breed on New Year's Eve.

The very front on the left is my Virginia Tech shot glass, my Woodfood Reserve copper shot "glass" (from my tour this past summer), a toy car my Grandmother sent me (it was my Grandfather's), a nice metal shot "glass" for everyday use, and my leather covered flask.

post-120-14489811126737_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, all the usual excuses apply. I'm not good with a camera. I had to stage this shot. I didn't bother to bring out all of my spare bottles (the Stagg just happened to be in the bedroom already).

But here it is.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

post-105-14489811128889_thumb.gif

Dave, That's a pretty nice collection! Enough to Quench a thrist or 2.So roughly how much of it is available to you by your drive and how much is shipped?

The only bottlings I have that seem to be unavailable in these parts are Wild Turkey 12 y/o, Buffalo Trace, and Kentucky Pride.

However, there are others that are stocked sporadically or are more expensive locally, such as VWFR 13 y/o rye ($23.99 from Sam's), ORVW 107 10y/o and 15y/o, Baker's ($23.99 from Binny's), Rock Hill Farms, Elmer T. Lee, and Eagle Rare.

The Wild Turkey 12 y/o, barely visible in the picture, came by mail from a store in the S.F. Bay area ($42.99, IIRC).

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

• 1 month later...

Bobby,

I know that you will like this one...Probably "ONE" of the biggest, and best bunkers around...It blongs to Marvin...

post-20-14489811139427_thumb.jpg

I had to post this one...It's Max and Marvin at the Gala, during the Bourbon Festival...

Max had just signed that bottle of blue wax 23 year Evan Williams...He (Marvin) bid on it at the distiller's auction and that was the highest bid ever recorded on that rare bottling...

That bottle is indeed very rare...The one that he is holding is the old Heaven Hill "Regular" bottle---(note that it has a shoulder on it)...The "Regular" or "standard" bottle does not have a shoulder...

Two years ago they changed the entire appearance (of that bottling)...It still has the blue wax but it's in the Evan Williams single barrel bottle along with a smaller label...

post-20-14489811139864_thumb.jpg

Two years ago they changed the entire appearance (of that bottling)...It still has the blue wax but it's in the Evan Williams single barrel bottle along with a smaller label...

I was wondering when they made the change from the older looking bottle to the new one...

I had that exact (style) bottling at the booth during the bourbon festival in 2000. I "Did" have another sample for the following year (2001). It was in the new EWSB bottle...I did not get to display it...as most of you know...Heaven Hill did not participate in any events 9-11...

Here is another one of my "The rest of the story" Stories grin.gif

I run the booth, during the bourbon festival for Heaven Hill...Max pays for everything--the tent--my time--access to the advertising room, etc... My little company (ABC Embroidery) does the rest...Man hours---Hmmmmmmm---Woman hours--all the wearables--set ups etc...

That particular year I was a member of the barrel rolling team...Max built a "rick" for us behind Heaven Hill...We were practicing and Kenny Ice--superintendent of the Warehouse drives up...He's probably the tallest (and sweetest) man that I know...I bet ya he's 6 foot 9...Hmmmmmmm....back to the subject...We could tell by the look on his face that something was wrong...He told us that Heaven Hill would not participate in any event during this time...and that includes the barrel rolling team...He said the Gala the cigar's and jazz everthing...My knees just buckled...I asked him does it inclue the booth on the grounds of Spalding Hall...He said yes...I damn near puked...I just flopped down on a barrel shakin my head...WELL.....I can see that this is going to take me forever ta type all this stuff...Sooooooo...I will shorten it to the very end...

I was sent directly to Max's office...He walks from behind his desk...Walks right directly in front of me looks me (very close) dead in the eye...and say's Heaven Hill will not participate in any of the events...This is not a time to party...He told me to box up everything that I had...bring it to his office...with a invoice...and he would write me a check............... grin.gif HE PAID ME FOR ALL OF IT ...Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhgrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

here's a pic of 'Ekki's Bar'. As you might notice a couple of non-US whisk(e)ys + other stuff in there but my bourbons/ryes/Tennesseeans absolutely dominates the area.

Best from over the waves,

Ekki

ekkisbar.JPG

Very nice cabinet, and stash as well. I notice the Pikesville Supreme Rye ( Heaven Hill, and Hard to find) , How do you like thatand how does it compare to the other ryes available to you?

Bobby,

I wouldn't rate it as one of my 'top five' (fwiw...) but it's a very good whiskey.

What I find special about the Pikesville is that it has a somewhat 'spirity' nose while its taste is pretty smooth, especially for a rye. Its finish is rather dry/unobtrusive.

On the other hand the Pikesville is 'only' 80 proof and this probably explains its smoothness.

I could even imagine serving this 'pleaser' as an aperetif/appetizer instead of a dry sherry.

Btw, the Pikesville is still available over here, price is ca. $25.

Best,

Ekki

I'm not sure what it sells for here , but basically It's a trip to Maryland to find a bottle.

I'm proud of you Ekki! Nice stash and most of them are open! I like a man not afraid to pop the top on his Pappy grin.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly this thread has died (I really like it) but I am not letting it go without a fight, so here are my acquisitions since I started the thread in December. Maybe that will hearten those of you who havent posted stash pictures ro join the fray!!

BLEEEEE!!!!

TomC

post-89-14489811225835_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Is this the stuff you've accumulated since December, or is this your current stash? I have been downsizing lately, going for the, "Less is More" look. Actually I have run out of room for stuff I don't drink very often. Nice collection there, but way too much left in that KS bottle lol.gif

Sorry for the quality here, but I took it quick using the camera built in my cell-phone to save time... These are most of the bottlings I have open now, but everyone knows where to go to see updated pics of my collection. My 'bunker' is beyond full now, with I'd have to guess 130-150 bottles stashed away for future consumption/trading/etc. By bunker I mean bottles that are either export/limited/no longer made bottlings (OFBB, WT12, Pappy 23 etc) stashed away in boxes in a deep closet in the basement and different than the collection.

post-87-14489811226051_thumb.jpg

Thats what I have acquired since Dec (plus a bottle of Weller 7/107 I stupidly forgot to include), and I have finishe off the same # or so of bottles, so I guess my overall stash remains about the same.

TomC

How often would you guys guess you go through a bottle? I know we all probably switch between different pours all the time, but how long does a cumulative 750ml worth of bourbon last you? I'd say I go through a cumulative bottle every 1-2 weeks, just depends on the type of days I've had in the first week! grin.gif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!