Show Us Your Stash!!

MurphyDawg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mark, have you *EVER* gone wild, come home from a long bender and done something you've regretted!?!?

lol.gif! Are you kidding me, I sometimes squirm at oening a rare bottle that I know I still have a 2nd of, never mind these exports where I have 1 of. I am certain that down the road I will, but I just haven't done one yet. I just hope sb.com is still around when I eventually do! toast.gif

I would open those faster than you could smash eggs with a snow shovel...

Even though I certainly think I qualify as a collector, it's also fully my intention to drink every last bottle at some point. When all that remained lacking in my U.S. coin collection I started at 8 were rarities I could never afford, I parted with it rather than lock it up in a vault. Collections are to enjoy -- both putting together and owning.

On the other hand, it just doesn't make sense to me to pay $180 for Pappy 23 and then bring it home and make it my 'house pour' for two weeks and be done with it. For that kind of money, I'm going to enjoying owning a relative rarity for a while before I partake. Likewise with my bottle of '83 Lafite-Rothschild Bordeaux -- it will either make somebody an exciting gift, or I'll enjoy it myself on some very special occasion. But I'm not going to take it to a backyard barbecue. As is often the case with travel, anticipation is often much of what make it enjoyable. For me, that's much of the joy of 'collecting'.

We produce the Old St. Nick, KY Vintage, Black Maple Hill, & Jefferson's Reserve. The latest bottling of Old St. Nick has a new label, you probably won't see it for some time.

• 2 weeks later...

One bottle at a time, young man, only one bottle at a time.

However, I purchase many, many bottles frequently. smirk.gif

Can you give us the stories behind the JD bottle and the very waxy Maker's Mark bottle? Is the JD the newer commemorative one or an older one?

The JD is the current commemorative 1.75L bottle. The Makers Mark was purchased in Canada two years ago but was available in the U.S. The waxy splash , a gift from my son, was purchased directly through Makers Mark.

Just some info on the old bottlings:

Old Fitz BIB 5 yr distilled in 1945

Kentucky Tavern BIB 8 yr distilled in 1936

Mount Vernon Maryland Rye BIB 12 yr distilled in 1921

Old Overholt Pennsylvania rye cask strength 113 proof 6 1/2 yr (doesn't list distilling date but probably just after end of prohibition)

Old Taylor BIB 4 yr distilled in 1947

Old Fitz(in RVW porcelain) 86.8 proof 7 yr old bottled in 1971 ( distilled in 1964?)

Bonded Beam BIB 8 yr distilled in 1940

Dave, that is one impressive stash! Just out of curiosity, I saw the new JD commemorative in VA today for $92.50. Couldn't quite lay out the cash for a whiskey to watch, but that is a great collectible. Is that in the ballpark of what you paid? Thanks also for the other bottle info.

Reviewing this thread and all of its great photos made me wonder - what idiosyncrasies do you have (whether you posted in this thread or not) regarding how you arrange your bourbon? By distiller? Proof? Age? Size of bottle? Personal taste preference? Wheaters together? Etc.?

I feel we have ours arranged "loosely." TN whiskies are separated, but outside of that, the bourbons are organized in a disorganized fashion (Beam white/black + small batches together, Weller's together; yet VOB is separated from RR, ORVW is separated from other VW, EC 18 is separated from all of the other HH products, etc.) We are limited by space and shelf height, so that alters our arrangement somewhat.

The cheapest I have seen that JD bottle is 89.99 in NJ. Most other places I saw it at were 99.99. When it first came out and wasn't really available all over, they were selling on eBay for near $200!

Forgot to answer your other question Dave... I generally tend to keep my bourbons grouped by distiller. I put the more rare/exotic/export stuff on my 'top shelf', and even then I try and keep them grouped by distiller. Like all my Van Winkles up there are next to one another, all the Hirsch's etc...

I occasionally shoot a picture of my 'display' bunker, but when I start to post it I refrain because I just don't have a single space where everything fits, so any picture leaves something out. My sideboard is my display, but it only holds a handful of bottles after laying out my tax-stamped minis. Quite a few items are just boxed in a closet until I either decide to open them, or a space becomes available some other way.

So, in answer to your question, there ain't no organization -- except that my 3 Pappys (2 23s -- Lawrenceburg and Frankfort, a single 20) -- are always where I can see them if I want to.

Dave and Tina,

The JD was $99.99 before my "good customer" discount.

It may not seem like I lack shelf space but I usually rotate the collection. I try keeping ryes separate but otherwise try to arrange by "distiller" , "BIB" , "rare bottles", "inexpensive bourbons". Other times I just grab bottles that haven't been displayed for some time. These are usually a combination of short and tall bottles .

In my picture posted in this thread, I built a staircase to show them all and went tallest to shortest back to front, but I am constantly adding to my collection and my highest priced and rarest go on the open topped shelf with others arranged by collection and then by distillery. The other third of the shelving behind my bar is where I stock my other liquors. I try to have something for everyone even those who choose to remain 'unenlightened'. When I get everything the way I want it I will update my part of the thread. Just so much bourbon to find and so little time to work on the bar. toast.gif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!