Maker's Mark 46

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Obligatory blurry camera phone bottle-shot

Yeah, Ohio was one of the first (if not *the* first) to list 46 back in the Spring and it is yet to hit the shelves here.

I was hoping to get a chance to explore a bottle of this over vacation, but I will have to find something else.

Here's how SGTGTO and I sampled Maker's 46, Seattle style. Limits of Dungeness crab and a good bourbon to boot. Great evening here in the PNW!

r7lp2s.jpg

"My little friend here will make short work of this pesky red wax."

Yeah, Ohio was one of the first (if not *the* first) to list 46 back in the Spring and it is yet to hit the shelves here.

I was hoping to get a chance to explore a bottle of this over vacation, but I will have to find something else.

You might want to call around other liquor stores in your area, as we found several outside of Columbus that had it for some reason, but in town stores do not have it yet.

You might want to call around other liquor stores in your area, as we found several outside of Columbus that had it for some reason, but in town stores do not have it yet.

The local store didn't have it, so I assumed that it had not made it out of the warehouse that feeds this area of the state.

I had to head east of me today and I found a shelf tag for the 46 at one of the better stocked stores, but no product on the shelf. I asked the lady behind the counter and she said that it came in on Thursday and sold out the same day.

:banghead:

I ended up finding it at a a chain grocer whose name is something like a very large bird, but it wasn't on the shelf. I poked my head into the store room and saw a case sitting on the floor. The counter help said "It's not in the system." Really. "How long will it take you to put it in the system?"

I guess that there's a reason that they are working retail. :grin:

The counter help said "It's not in the system." Really. "How long will it take you to put it in the system?"

I guess that there's a reason that they are working retail. :grin:

Unfortunately, that's how it is in many grocery stores. Between one and four people in the store probably know how to put it in the system, maybe. two of them know how but aren't authorized to do so.... Leaving you with between negative one and 2 people that can actually do it on any given day.

Hi Times does not have it yet. In Socal that means that no one else has it yet either.

I could not find it in Cincy last Friday so I headed across the river and picked up some.

The volume of posts on MM46 clearly proves the theory that the industry has allowed pent-up interest, and probably demand, to swell, at least among the enthusiasts.

We just about polished off our standard MM on the 4th -- alcohol, fireworks, and children... what possibly could go wrong -- so we're looking forward to trying MM46, but the fun argument of use of words "straight" and "bourbon" popped up.

We understand they're not using "straight" but do call it "bourbon". Technically, doesn't the added use of french oak staves in production violate the "no flavoring" clause of the bourbon constitution?

In fact, it is "straight" though, n-est pas? (2yr min in wood.)

Not that it matters where it matters most -- taste -- but just fun discussion after 2hrs of tasting with good company.

It showed up in my area last week while I was on vacation. The case my local store got didn't even last an hour and the phone has been ringing off the hook since at that store. I will eventually get a bottle but won't be fighting for one. I think this brand will be around for a while if Beam has their way!

Thomas

We understand they're not using "straight" but do call it "bourbon". Technically, doesn't the added use of french oak staves in production violate the "no flavoring" clause of the bourbon constitution?

In fact, it is "straight" though, n-est pas? (2yr min in wood.)

Not that it matters where it matters most -- taste -- but just fun discussion after 2hrs of tasting with good company.

Well, the TTB approved it, so they must be on the good side of the regs. Just don't do a forum search for the black cherry Beam product and we're good to go. :grin:

As far as the rules are concerned, oak is oak and it doesn't have to be domestic wood. If the additional staves were seared maple or some other wood, the TTB would have most likely prevented the use of bourbon on the label. I believe that Buffalo Trace has experimented with non-American oak with smaller barrels and they have had some success. The additional cost is probably the biggest impediment to mass production with foreign oak.

So in VA our ABC stores are pretty well stocked with this. Something like $37 here...

Very yummy. Not a fan of overly oakey whiskeys at all. MM 46 adds a nice amount of oak finish without becoming overbearing. Maybe the mouthfeel is a bit lighter than "regular" Maker's. IMO Maker's is a nice, smooth but unremarkable whiskey and the 46 expression gives it a finish that's actually interesting to the palate.

I was talking to one of my buddies about introducing his father to fine bourbon (he's a speyside drinker with a single bottle of half-drank Jim Beam white in his liquor cabinet for entertaining people he doesn't really like), and we agreed that this was a good bottle to start him off with. He sure isn't gonna get to (ahem) "borrow" any of my Pappy. Think this is a good place to start a speyside drinker?

The Makers 46 bottle is sealed with a synthetic cork.

Where's the faux outrage? :grin:

Picked one up Saturday morning, though I had to drive down to Eugene to get it, as no local stores had it yet.

Tasty stuff. My notes are in Vbt #283

Well, it finally arrived here in northern Illinois. :grin: I picked up a couple of bottles on the way home from work today. Joe

Well, it finally arrived here in northern Illinois. :grin: I picked up a couple of bottles on the way home from work today. Joe

A friend was in Cinci for business today and he popped over the river to hit Party Source. He nearly left empty handed until he discovered that the 46 was behind the counter with a 1 bottle per person limit. :shocked:

I think I will grab another to put away when I am out next. I'm sure that Ohio didn't get a very large allocation.

I gave it a whirl last night. And while it was good I am not ready to fully commit and say it is great. I am going to let it sit a day to open a bit and revisit it tomorrow night. My first sip was a let down. It tasted, to me like MM with a hint of oak riding on top. As the glass sat for a bit and it opened up the flavors did become more robust. I was getting something in the finish that I didn't like but I want to see if it has toned down a bit when I taste it again tomorrow before I go into that.

I will go ahead and say that the nose on this stuff is wonderful. It smelled like oaky vanilla caramel corn.

A friend was in Cinci for business today and he popped over the river to hit Party Source. He nearly left empty handed until he discovered that the 46 was behind the counter with a 1 bottle per person limit. :shocked:

I think I will grab another to put away when I am out next. I'm sure that Ohio didn't get a very large allocation.

Too bad... the other local stores (includng Cork n' Bottle) have it on the shelf with everything else.

Hi Times has it on the website stating that it will be available in late July. They are taking pre-orders. I will be calling later today.

I just got one this morning for 31.75. I will be having some today to celebrate the end of midnight shift and also my son coming home from the hospital after surgery for a severely broken wrist!

Thomas

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.