Maker's Mark 46

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On my last 2 scouting trips the dates here in SoCal are mid July. Of course I have not called HiTimes...

Well its in MI. Paid $36 a bottle, State minimum. Will open the bottle tonight after taking my wife out for her B'day. Excited to try it.

I tried to get my MM46 today but the liquor truck was late, I'll try again tomorrow.

FYI, I just looked it up on the PA LCB site and it will be special order only, no minimum, $36.49 a bottle.

I got mine today.

And I must say that Mr Samuels has opened up a Pandora's Box with this one.

We all here on the mighty mighty SB.com knew they could do it and this Maker's 46 proves it.

The nose is like carmel and and that hard red stuff covering candy apples, but somewhat light.

The taste is in-n-out with wood and carmel, but somewhat light.

The finish is dry-ish but if you wait awhile you will be satisfied, but again somewhat light.

OK, Mr Samuels, this makes me want more and I know ya'll can do it, here's my order;

8yo 101prf

10yo 107prf

12yo Barrel proof

I repeat, we know you can do it and I am getting in line for it now.

Oh BTW, what's up with the name?

Maker's 46, I assumed it was going to be 92prf but it is 94prf.

Are you serious? I thought all along that was the point, it was 46% = 92 proof. Right?

Are you serious? I thought all along that was the point, it was 46% = 92 proof. Right?

I recall Chuck (or some one else) wrote that the 46 referred to the trial batch number.

Oh BTW, what's up with the name?

"During the experimentation process, Brad and Kevin tried manipulating oak staves in a variety of ways for different flavors, and it was through that process that Maker’s 46 got its name. 46 was the profile number assigned by Brad Boswell to the process used to sear the oak staves that proved successful in creating the taste profile that Kevin and Brad had been working to achieve."

http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2010/04/makers-mark-46-american-whiskey-news/

"During the experimentation process, Brad and Kevin tried manipulating oak staves in a variety of ways for different flavors, and it was through that process that Maker’s 46 got its name. 46 was the profile number assigned by Brad Boswell to the process used to sear the oak staves that proved successful in creating the taste profile that Kevin and Brad had been working to achieve."

http://www.whiskyintelligence.com/2010/04/makers-mark-46-american-whiskey-news/

Oh that's right, I remember that now! But really though, why didn't they lie say it was 47 that way it would have been a beautiful little coincident with the percentage as well. It'll forever be one those questions of why.

Did my first serious tasting last night....

Taste is very much as described by Oscar below: more spice but in a light, almost muted way. (I particularly get clove.) Finish is very short and light as well.

Definitely different from the standard MM. But the differences are subtle and understated. Nicely done but no wow factor.

Better than the standard MM? Yes, but only marginally so.

What we still have here is a "good" whisky at a "premium" price. Not one I'd repurchase. Although, in a bar with the usual limited choices, I pick it over regular MM every time.

Add my vote for a 10-12 yo MM and / or one at or near barrel proof.

I read somewhere that the 46 refers to the number/type of French oak.

I read somewhere that the 46 refers to the number/type of French oak.

It is, as Harshest posted, the number of one of the experiments they did. More specifically, one of the experiments the barrel maker, Independent Stave, did. This is similar to using the number of a prototype as the eventual name of the product developed from that prototype.

As for the wood itself, it comes from an undisclosed location. It is not Limousin but from somewhere in northern France. Independent Stave has the resource and is keeping it a secret.

As for the wood itself, it comes from an undisclosed location. It is not Limousin but from somewhere in northern France. Independent Stave has the resource and is keeping it a secret.

Hey TomFischer, is that you on the left in your avatar pic?

If so how did you hook up with Guy?

Hey TomFischer, is that you on the left in your avatar pic?

If so how did you hook up with Guy?

I am really behind the times, I haven't been reading SB often enough apparently. I saw a bottle of this at the store today and wondered "How did I not hear about this?" Came back here and found this 15-page thread. I managed to slog through the first 5 pages before losing interest. Bottom line for me is....I like it.

Hey New Englanders -- it has appeared in the NH state stores at $34.99. My bunker's too deep to add quite yet (who wants to shoot me a 50ml? :))

I saw a bottle of this at the store today and wondered "How did I not hear about this?"

Was able to pick up a couple of bottles at a small liquor store near here. I must say, this is pretty good stuff. I like it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.