What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

About 3:1 OWA and Pennypacker, a new import here which I find quite similar to Beam Black, plus light dash water. It's a perfect combination, sweet and a little fruity, basically the Antique profile but beefed up a bit due to the rye. I just made my own high-end bourbon, for 1/3rd the price or less.

Actually it's better than most high-enders I've had.

Gary

Having a 6YO Willett from the DC market over ice. There's just too much burn for me neat, so the ice tames it pretty well. I need to devote a little time to finishing this bottle off so I can open the space up for something I like a little better.

CNB #40 OWA while watching the Reds play like amateurs.

I'll probably switch to some OGD 114 to keep me up during the Giants/Braves so I can be sure not to miss any of the 3 runs scored in that one.

Having a 6YO Willett from the DC market over ice. There's just too much burn for me neat, so the ice tames it pretty well. I need to devote a little time to finishing this bottle off so I can open the space up for something I like a little better.

That's one of the things I've noticed with the Willett's that I've had. They are very "Hit-or-Miss".

We had a spectacularly beautiful day here yesterday and an equally beautiful evening, so we sat out and had a few beers and cracked open a bottle of EC12. Neither of my friends had had it before and both were quite impressed with it. I must have been too, as I walked into the kitchen this morning to discover just a quarter bottle left.:lol: Seriously though, I really like this whiskey and am not sure why I pass over it so often when I open the cabinet and browse for the evening's selection. Excellent juice at a decent price.

Last night was some OGD 86 proof circa 1989 thanks to Bob...wow. Butterscotch, toffee and dried fruit for days.

OGD 114 from 81 before dinner and WLW 2007 right now. I liked the pre dinner whiskey better for sure.

Leif

picked up a Glenfiddich 12 gift set for the glencaine glass. The bottle was harsher, with more bite than I remembered from Glenfiddich. Followed it with EC18 which was much better.

Yea, two different flavors, but the EC18 was much smoother, rounder, better finish. The Glen had a more interesting nose which is the only thing it had over the EC18.

I should add that this particular EC18 was only from an average barrel from 91, I've got better much better examples of EC18 in the stable.

Maybe the Glen suffered cork taint or something?

The night is till young and there's a Pappy 20 calling.

Earlier, OGD 114 while talking with the neighbors on a perfect Fall evening.

Later, savoring some PHC 2010, while watching various sports on TV.

Willett 13 year old "Mackinac" 110.8 proof

It is likely the best bourbon I have ever had. I cannot name the things I would do to get another bottle of it. It will be a sad day when it is gone... so I will savor it until then. Somewhere out there.. there are 70 more bottles..

Celebrating the bday by watching football and enjoying some of my nicer bottles I don't open too often. Started off with 4R 2009 Mariage, 2006 WLW (which definitely has a SW nose), and 1969 Very Old Fitzgerald. Probably will follow up with some PVW 20 and 15 and some GTS. Who knew Sundays could be so fun? :)

Willett Family Reserve 17yo 133.7prf selected by The louisville Bourbon Society, neat.

Hot candy apple and dry maple syrup.

Scotch? Bourbon? Scotch? Bourbon? Okay, bourbon it is. I'll have an OWA (old label) while watching the Phillies sweep the Reds. Now all I have to do is sort out what beer I'll have with it.

I had a louisville B S willett tonight as well.... But I had the 16 year. Very good tonight. Also had a willett 17 from SV. woodiest version out there. A splash of water helped a ton.

A mixed bag: Weller 12, followed by WRMCSO, followed by PS 17 yo Willett wheater (S-W?).

The Bengals and Reds are self-destructing.... if anyone asks, I live in Northern Kentucky.

A mixed bag: Weller 12, followed by WRMCSO, followed by PS 17 yo Willett wheater (S-W?).

The Bengals and Reds are self-destructing.... if anyone asks, I live in Northern Kentucky.

I'm having a splash of Lot B while reviewing the fantasy football happenings of the day.

Tonight, I'm having trouble getting to sleep on time...

... so, I started with an Imperial Pint of Murphy's Irish Red Ale...

... then moved on to a couple pours of Rebel Reserve, on of my personal favorites...

... now ending the night with a pour of George Dickel No. 8.

I'm visiting my daughter and Bourbon Rob down here in Alabama. The last several nights we were enjoying JRPS 17, PHC 10 y/o wheater, Barrel Proof Four Roses OESK and OBSK, Rare Breed, Old Charter 10, WTRR 90, Dickel Barrel Select and various other goodies.

Joe :usflag:

Hanging on the back deck with the pooch a little early this evening. Brought a Camacho Room 101 and some Michter's from the King Tut decanter. I can't get over how much this Michter's reminds me of The Fox.

Having a little AA BIB tonight. Joe

I'll be joining you, only ninety miles away. I've got a single pour of the AAA 10YO and AA BIB left and plan to knock off both bottles tonight while watching the Vikings-Jets game.

Sitting here totally mesmerized with an Old Fitz 1849 10 yr 1/2 pint that I picked up last week. Not sure, but I think bottled ~1971. An odd 90.4 proof. Utterly spectacular bourbon. A slight whiff brings an onslaught of caramels, vanillins, a little oak, and muted alcohol. I keep inhaling further, and all that I have detected increases in magnitude, but the alcohol never singes, and the oak stays balanced. I've never tasted a thicker bourbon. Coats the mouth like molasses. As dark as Karo syrup. Heavy and deep caramels and vanilla continue. The tannins and oak continue to keep it from becoming cloying, though. Absolute, perfect balance at every stage. No rough edges, at all. Like a polished gem stone. This bourbon is a work of art. I am wowed.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!