What Bourbon Are You Drinking, Fall 2010

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I had Beam 6 grains before dinner and Stagg 2009 and an uncut 13 years HH bottled by Cadenheads after. The Stagg found the spot best, but the Beam brand was also delicious and a perfect aperitif/starter whiskey.

Leif

Sitting here totally mesmerized with an Old Fitz 1849 10 yr 1/2 pint that I picked up last week. Not sure, but I think bottled ~1971. An odd 90.4 proof. Utterly spectacular bourbon. A slight whiff brings an onslaught of caramels, vanillins, a little oak, and muted alcohol. I keep inhaling further, and all that I have detected increases in magnitude, but the alcohol never singes, and the oak stays balanced. I've never tasted a thicker bourbon. Coats the mouth like molasses. As dark as Karo syrup. Heavy and deep caramels and vanilla continue. The tannins and oak continue to keep it from becoming cloying, though. Absolute, perfect balance at every stage. No rough edges, at all. Like a polished gem stone. This bourbon is a work of art. I am wowed.

Real interesting to hear Joe. I have had a 4/5 of that one in my bunker for years. I can’t detect any age on it ether other than its bottled 72 or earlier due to the S-W on the label, but it looks very, very old. Maybe its time to open mine as well this winter.

Leif

The AA BIB went down nicely last night, as did the AAA10 YO with a touch of water. As I'm in a "thin out the herd" mode, I will work towards knocking off the Rowan's Creek tonight before casting an eye on the rest of the liquor cabinet.

Enjoying a vatting of approx 80% WT 8 (out of a decanter) and 20% current WT101. The current stuff adds a little fire to the back end while the 8 brings loads of deep, rich vanilla sweetness. Just a great pour for this time of the year!

Beam 6 grains again before dinner today and it was as refreshing as yesterday. After dinner I had the last out of a WT 101 from 86 and a small pour of OGD 114 right now. This particular Turkey has not been one of my favourites from the 80-is, but it did taste at its best today with a very long lingering finish. The other 2 tasted excellent as well.

Leif

BTW, do you know when they took the 10 year age statement for this, down to 9 years?

No I don’t Joe. However I guess there might be members that know like Chuck or Mike for instance.

Leif

Had a small pour left of a 1957 Old Fitz BIB 8 year. Oily, viscous and delicious. Why can't I get bourbon like this anymore?

OWA CNB #39 while watching Clifton Phifer setup an ex-Indians Cy Young ALCS matchup.

I think I'll have a few more.

It was a turkey kind of night for me. Just brought home my first pewter top WTKS. So I had a few from a 99 Rear Bread and maybe a few from a 06 WTKS. Liked the 06 WTKS a little better.

Do you really want to know?

Let's do it this way,... tell me what you think I am drinking!:cool:

Besides,... I am still hung up on why one of the MODS changed it from Autumn to Fall.

Is it a Euro vs American thing?

I can't guess what you are drinking Oscar, I will go as far as saying something from Wild Turkey...

Would someone please explain to Mr. 5000 why the season changed from Autumn to Fall? It seems to be a problem for him.

BINGO!

Yes I did pull that heavy assed stopper and poured a WTKS 11-12-01, as aways, neat.

In solidarity with you, Big Dog, I'm pouring some turkey myself. I just opened my bottle of WTRR 101. Signed. 'Cause that's how I roll.

Well, I cracked open a Kahn's selection OWA. Blah...

Has any other of the Indy brethern had this one yet?

Does it really suck, or is it just me????:skep:

Well, I cracked open a Kahn's selection OWA. Blah...

Has any other of the Indy brethern had this one yet?

Does it really suck, or is it just me????:skep:

I'll be sure to avoid that one when I'm in Indy for thanksgiving!:cool:

Dickel 12 and JDSS before dinner and OGD 114 right now. The Kentucky brand found the spot best tonight!

Leif

BINGO!

Yes I did pull that heavy assed stopper and poured a WTKS 11-12-01, as aways, neat.

It wasn't all that difficult. Are you over the mod change for the time of year?

Charter 101 neat. Now with a little water. Either way, not a whole lot of flavor. This one would go down better in a shot glass with some beer, or in a cocktail. I think that's what will happen to the rest of the bottle.

Edit - after letting it sit in a glass for a good 15-20 minutes, a nice vanilla-oak aroma develops. After a whiff or two, it's gone.

Dickel 12 and JDSS before dinner and OGD 114 right now. The Kentucky brand found the spot best tonight!

Leif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!