What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ETL 1B 15 yo, neat.

Oscar.... I thought your were putting that bottle down and saving it...LOL!!!!

LOL, just a measured 1 1/2 oz pour and then on to something else.

Sounds like he is "putting it down"... just not saving it !!!:grin:

I've had some Crown royal from 1974, Wlakers Delux 8 yr from the 70's and a JW Dant bib from 1980. The dant blew the others away, and the CR was better than the Walkers. The walkers was barely drinkable...:rolleyes:

Nosing and sipping from a newly purchased Wathen's, bottled 2-22-09. Very interesting. Much more "earthy" than the last bottle I sampled several weeks ago. (Unfortunately, I don't remember the bottling date on that one, but it was extremely good in it's own right.) The one I'm trying now, has an Earthiness to it...bordering on...almost...sheet rock mud?? Sounds odd, I know, but it works. It makes it very "chewy", and "substantial". It's beauty is that it doesn't detract from what is a very spirity, spicy and blooming bourbon on the palate. Black licorice, cinnamon, and a perfect touch of oak. A substantial amount of heft to this bourbon, and at 94 proof, it delivers the goods. But, what I really like about this Wathen's, (besides the sheet rock mud. :) Seriously! It's quite pleasing. Trust me, on this! ), is what I think is one of the best finishes I've enjoyed in a whiskey, in quite some time. Big, bold, flavorful, and, seemingly goes on, forever. I know, the "Medley Distillery" didn't distill this. But, they are on their A-Game in picking out what bears their family name. This is damn, fine, whiskey.

Alternating between ETL 15 yo and the R&E Willett 17 yo wheater. Both are very, very good but tonight I'm drinking the latter to try to preserve what's left of the former. (I fear the ETL will be gone all too soon.)

Nosing and sipping from a newly purchased Wathen's, bottled 2-22-09. Very interesting. Much more "earthy" than the last bottle I sampled several weeks ago. (Unfortunately, I don't remember the bottling date on that one, but it was extremely good in it's own right.) The one I'm trying now, has an Earthiness to it...bordering on...almost...sheet rock mud?? Sounds odd, I know, but it works. It makes it very "chewy", and "substantial". It's beauty is that it doesn't detract from what is a very spirity, spicy and blooming bourbon on the palate. Black licorice, cinnamon, and a perfect touch of oak. A substantial amount of heft to this bourbon, and at 94 proof, it delivers the goods. But, what I really like about this Wathen's, (besides the sheet rock mud. :) Seriously! It's quite pleasing. Trust me, on this! ), is what I think is one of the best finishes I've enjoyed in a whiskey, in quite some time. Big, bold, flavorful, and, seemingly goes on, forever. I know, the "Medley Distillery" didn't distill this. But, they are on their A-Game in picking out what bears their family name. This is damn, fine, whiskey.

Thats a very appetizing review and I'm not duanted by the mud.

OGD 114. Is the BIB as good as this? I've been looking for something inexpensive for our after work happy hour. I've been supplying the bourbon to all the bud light drinkers without any reciprocation. So far its been in the $25-$40 range and I'm looking for something cheaper.

Thats a very appetizing review and I'm not duanted by the mud.

"...not daunted by the mud"... Your Avatar would be proud!

Thinking about it now, was Lambert daunted by anything?! Maybe..MAYBE!...by Earl Campbell breaking through the line with a full head of steam? :D

:toast:

Just picked up the in laws in from England at the airport. To sooth my nerves I'm having:

4RsmB

OWA

OGD 114. Is the BIB as good as this?

The BIB is nice. Buy that for the BL boys and save he 114 for yourself.

Duff, the BIB is just as good, so is the 43% for that matter, yet the 114 is a stand alone whisky in its own right. Strong, broad shouldered, yet refined and dignified in a way that only a quality whisky can be. Reliable, surprisingly good compared to all the boutique stuff out there and a bargain at its price.

Thinking about it now, was Lambert daunted by anything?! Maybe..MAYBE!...by Earl Campbell breaking through the line with a full head of steam? :D

:toast:

That's a big MAYBE or just a '"not likely."

On the mud note: I used to work with joint compound and the premixed sheetrock mud and oddly I sometimes wanted to taste a little. Maybe that's something like kids eating paste in school.

When my sons visited me for dinner last night we had vintage 21 rye with the coffee after dinner and JDSS with the red current pie for dessert. After that we were all so stuffed up that it was fernet branca and underberg that counted.

Leif

Just had my first taste of Old Bardstown Estate 101. I must say that I like this very much. Rye and pepper mid palate with a good finish. A good value pour bourbon like its friend Johnny Drum Private Stock.

I am enjoying Ezra B SB, neat. First bottle I've had and I will definitely buy another.

Sitting out by the outdoor fireplace this evening, while enjoying a couple of pours, and a couple of cigars. All, pretty darn good. Then...Nirvana.!!!..Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut, with 2010 TH Handy. Oh, My, Goodness...(Scratch that...) Oh, My, GREATNESS!! This Handy is absolutely AWESOME. It's no secret that I've always been a big advocate of the wonderfulness of the THH, regardless of year. But, this one tonight is one of the best I've ever had the privilege to taste. If you're looking for a great...no...GREAT RYE, look no further than the TH Handy.

I just opened one of my William Larue Wellers. Totally glad I sprung for two bottles.

I did start of the evening yesterday with OFBB 2010 and uncut 13 HH . Than later some JDSS with the last red current pie for dessert and finally Stagg 09 as a nightcap. Its amazing how well Stagg stands up late in the evening after lots of eating and drinking. I do believe 2009 is a good vintage also.

Leif

Game night with abother couple last night. He & I enjoyed Buck, Basil Hayden's, FRsmB 2010 Limited edition, and Jefferson's 17.

I've been considering getting a bottle of THH and I think you pushed me there Joe.

I hope you enjoy it, Oscar. Interestingly enough, around here, the Handy is the best stocked on retailers shelves of all the BTAC's, this year. Also, whereas the other offererings are mid $70's and up, the Handy's have been mid $50's. Except at one store that I was at on Thursday who had all BTAC's at $110+.

I'm snacking on a splash of Sazerac 18 after a dinner of pot roast and mashed taters.

I normally dont have a drink right after dinner, but this just felt right.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!