What bourbon are you drinking? - Winter 2010/11

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, I'll tip a pour of Lot B to the Bucks. Nice win. Ox....you OK?:D I was thinkin' you might have "Had the Big One, Elizabeth!!" on the blocked punt with 1:30 to go.

:toast:

Hey, I'll tip a pour of Lot B to the Bucks. Nice win. Ox....you OK?:D I was thinkin' you might have "Had the Big One, Elizabeth!!" on the blocked punt with 1:30 to go.

Thanks. That was the second or third Big One of the game. :falling:

The Bucks owe it to you and your crack at the BTOTY. You didn't know that you were bulletin board material, did you? :grin:

So glad I took a vacation day tomorrow. Time to put a dent in a bottle of Four Roses for the Buckeyes.

Hey, that wasn't me...That was the Boss. :D Savor the win!

WT 101 8yr from 1978. Mmmmmmm......

I could find quit a lot of that stuff some years ago as well Adam. All row a bit uneven in quality it was often amazing stuff. I can still find 8 years from the 80-is and it is good as well but a bit lighter in collar and taste.

Leif

Last night was a side-by-side of Four Roses Yellow Label (US version) and Four Roses Yellow Label (Japan version) to see if they were the same -- the Japan bottle has an older label that predates the reintroduction of the US expression.

To my palate, it's the same whiskey -- the difference in label probably because it's a 700ml bottle.

Good news is that even at a lousy exchange rate (and equalizing for 700 vs. 750ml) the Japan bottle was cheaper than the US!

Did a side by side with ORVW 10/90 & 10/107.

Its interesting to taste these purely because they are marketed with two different proofs with the same mash bill. Although the higher proof has a deeper taste and more flavour i generally down-proof my whiskies to around 90-95 anyway. So this nullifies the extra profiles given to the 107.

In saying this they are un-splittable in my opinion. Obviously. So it comes down to the price. Being in Australia there really isn't a price-competition gauge on these bottles so im going to go with the 107 purely for the reason i can make more drinks out of the bottle. (Even though im paying less customs tax on the lower proof bottling)

I'd actually prefer a bottle of BT to these..

That said, I am enjoying each on their own merits. I will be comparing these to a Lot B in the coming weeks.

Does anyone have any notes from such a comparison? Or even a BT to Lot B?

45 ML of 2007 OFBB followed by 15 ML of OF BIB from DSP 414 bottled in 1981. If you like some rum flavors getting along famously with the others in your bourbon, as I do, the dusty one is for you.

Just a late pour of ORVW 15 last night, after being to a bar and having some real good Swedish and Norwegian micro beer.

Leif

Back to the WT CGF and a drop of RR10/101. I sure am going to be sad to see these two go.

Last night I had a pour of 2010 Eagle Rare 17 .I thought it was very good.Great balance with just the right amount of oak for my palate.

Regards,Mike

Last night I had a pour of 2010 Eagle Rare 17 .I thought it was very good.Great balance with just the right amount of oak for my palate.

Regards,Mike

Good to see a review on this one. I got a bottle for Christmas from the folks and you don't hear anything about it on here or at least I haven't come across much. It's like the step child of the BTAC collection. You hear everyone rave about GTS, Weller and even Handy at times but I never see anything about the ER 17.

After reading this I've now got a new outlook and excitement about opening up this bottle. Thanks Mike.

Good to see a review on this one. I got a bottle for Christmas from the folks and you don't hear anything about it on here or at least I haven't come across much. It's like the step child of the BTAC collection. You hear everyone rave about GTS, Weller and even Handy at times but I never see anything about the ER 17.

After reading this I've now got a new outlook and excitement about opening up this bottle. Thanks Mike.

The reason the three that you mention get more interest is that they are sold at barrel strength but the ER and Saz 18 are not.

It is really that simple, though they do have their fans.

OWA 1B 8yo 107prf, neat.

Loch & K(e)y barrel? I enjoyed it at a recent tasting (but have 3 other versions open right now...)

It has been an "adventure" getting home and running about a week behind schedule things were hectic.....So the first full day at home unpacking and settling in is wrapping up with a pour of '86 Old Fitzgerald.

For an 86 proof ole' Fitz has a mouthful of flavor, mellow with no sharp corners, nice caramel on entry, sweet corn in the middle with a touch of spice in the after taste and the flavor lingers longer than I would expect in an 86er. Dang shame it is only a 200 ml flask, I fear ole' Fitz will be gone before his time.

Pappy 15 neat to take the edge off and a square or 2 of super dark chocolate to satisfy the sweet tooth.

After a layoff for as wile I had a couple of pours of JDSS before dinner yesterday. It tasted awesome and it found the spot much better than the WT 110 from 91 that I had later.

Leif

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!