What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Virgin Bourbon. Why a state like Alabama, with such an overall sucky bourbon selection, is one of the few to offer such an inexpensive gem like this...is beyond my comprehension.

Virgin Bourbon. Why a state like Alabama, with such an overall sucky bourbon selection, is one of the few to offer such an inexpensive gem like this...is beyond my comprehension.

I didn't know Alabama had any Virgins left.

Well Josh, if there were any before, there ain't any now after the Tide rolled! :D

I'm guessin' that party's still goin' on.

An excellent vatting night in honor of Gillman:

Some ND OGD, a mixture of 86 and BIB. Wonderfully solid. It makes me think of wood, but not like heavy, GTS barrel char wood. More like the smell of freshly sawn 2x4, mixed with a heavy honey. So glad I have a few more bottles of ND OGD in the bunker--and it's makes me want to do a comparison with the current stuff.

Then a pour of what seems to have taken on the name of the "SB Weller Blend"--half Weller 12 and half OWA (both current)...man, it's like candy: caramel, vanilla ice cream, "red pop" (as we called it in Michigan, anyway), all underlaid by just enough burn from the OWA. It was so good that I broke my "two drinks in a night" rule and poured a bit more.

Anybody who can get Weller 12 and OWA, do yourself a favor and mix up a batch. And I buy the whole, "let a wheater breathe and it gets better" rhetoric, so if you have the bottles, pour just part of the mixture into a bottle or dencater to let it sit, and each pour will be better than the last.

I don't think it gets much love around here, but I am having my first pour of 1792 and I really like it. Great nose. Chewy up front, smooth finish that is sweet then turns spicy. I am really enjoying it.

I tried GTS for the first time at a local establishment and it's pretty much ruined every bottle I have at home. I thought it was *that* good. Unfortunately I have 0% chance of finding a bottle living in NC...okay...maybe 1% since I scored a bottle of Handy from the ABC. I'm not above a little charity! ;)

An excellent vatting night in honor of Gillman:

Anybody who can get Weller 12 and OWA, do yourself a favor and mix up a batch. And I buy the whole, "let a wheater breathe and it gets better" rhetoric, so if you have the bottles, pour just part of the mixture into a bottle or dencater to let it sit, and each pour will be better than the last.

For fun, I poured a 1:1 WT rye/Mellow Corn. IMHO, the result deserves further exploration. At 1:1 it reminds me of OFBB - very sweet but with ample spice. I think it will be fun to tinker with the ratio on this one!

Bowling night last night. :rolleyes: Gary bowled good. Me, ehhhh. But we drank good. :grin: Latest release Lot B, and Pappy 15, and older Pappy 15. All good. I stopped in the chat room for a while after I got home, and I had (coincidence with all this talk of vatting) a pour consisting of a vatting of OWA and Weller SR. It was so good, I had a pour when I got home from work tonight....................... after I finished shoveling. :crazy:

Bowling night last night. :rolleyes: Gary bowled good. Me, ehhhh. But we drank good. :grin: Latest release Lot B, and Pappy 15, and older Pappy 15. All good. I stopped in the chat room for a while after I got home, and I had (coincidence with all this talk of vatting) a pour consisting of a vatting of OWA and Weller SR. It was so good, I had a pour when I got home from work tonight....................... after I finished shoveling. :crazy:

Finally popped open a bottle of Jefferson's I got for christmas. Very smooth and sweet, definitely one of my favorites from the most recent batch of stuff I have tried.

Finally popped open a bottle of Jefferson's I got for christmas. Very smooth and sweet, definitely one of my favorites from the most recent batch of stuff I have tried.

Which Jefferson's?

As for me, I am having, for the first time in my life, WTRR101, thanks to a friend in Michigan.:toast:

And yes, it's a good as I've heard.:cool: :cool:

Which Jefferson's?

As for me, I am having, for the first time in my life, WTRR101, thanks to a friend in Michigan.:toast:

The standard bottle, I also have a bottle of the JP17, but I'm saving opening it until the day I finally get off my lazy ass and buy my fiancee her ring or some other special occasion.

Last night I made it through a pour of Rebel Reserve. Rewarded myself with a bit of ER17, bottled in Fall 2005. Felt my age when I realized that the ER had gone into the barrel the year I graduated high school....

After a long, frustrating week at work, I'm kicking back with some current release LotB while listening to some good jazz. FWIW, The Yellowjackets are currently playing on my iTunes. Both are hitting the spot. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............

Which Jefferson's?

Tis a good bottle indeed. Luckily I still have one left in my bunker thanks to a friend in Chicago and another one in Ohio. We midwestern bourbonians take care of our own!:cool:

I'm enjoying a vatting of 4R Single Barrel Ltd Ed 2009, Kahn's OBSQ, and SmB Ltd Ed 2011.

The Q yeast is representin' Pretty tasty stuff!

GTS 2010 down to about 100 proof: not bad, but still not my cup of tea.

And some McKenzie Bourbon: some butterscotch, some floral notes, some corn, but all in a pretty idiosyncratic way. Good stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.