what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started with some VWFRR then onto my trusty 50/50 of OWA & Weller 12

Good Friday tmw, market is closed, weekend starts now!

Originally was going to open the new Pure Kentucky I picked up. Decided to save that for tomorrow. Tonight, after a long day, seemed like as good a time as any to reach for the ORVW 10/107 which hanging out in chat.

Having FC side-by-side with EC12 just for kicks. Re-discovering my inner HH, which was my first Bourbon love.

PVW15

Not a special occasion or anything. I just looked at it and thought, hell with it, the stuff is made to be drunk so I'm having some tonight. Others may let it sit on the shelf forever and ever. But not me!

While prepping dinner it was a small pour of the cask strength Redbreast 12yr. Hadn't made a visit to that side in quite a while, initial results are pleasant enough.

Now it's the let pour out of a EC 18yr. It took some time to get there, but it's turned out to be a solid bottle. It has the type of old wood taste that is a joy to savor over some time.

B

Long week, desperately needed weekend. Lot B, Tornado, TPS AAA, and a Damn nice Padilla.

This afternoon, EC 12 and EC 18 side-by-side. Got the EC 18 in Nov. after tasting it at Heaven Hill. Was blown away there but disappointed with the bottle I bought at the Party Source. I guess you have to expect some variation in single barrels. Now that I am half way through the bottle, it seems to be getting better. Some licorice, honey, caramel, and citrus. A little too much acetone on the nose. (My wife thought the 18 was higher proof than the 12. Not so: 90 v 94.) On the QPR, I still prefer to have two bottles of 12 rather than one of 18.

This afternoon, EC 12 and EC 18 side-by-side. Got the EC 18 in Nov. after tasting it at Heaven Hill. Was blown away there but disappointed with the bottle I bought at the Party Source. I guess you have to expect some variation in single barrels.

Expect variation ESPECIALLY in the EC18. I pray to the bourbon holies that it stays 1B, despite wild variations in taste quality, because I've had EC18's that were some of the best bourbons I've tasted.

Tonight I had some FR1B from the second bottle I have gifted this weekend. I then returned home and proceeded with some THH Rye from '09, Dickel Barrel Select and now I'm sipping on some Tornado. My palate's a bit whacked tonight, unfortunately. I blame 5 hours of interrupted sleep and ongoing recovery from Cubs opening day. Everything is tasting good, I'm just missing some of the subtleties I usually enjoy.

Started this morning after breakfast with an EH Taylor Sour Mash mini pour.

This afternoon I tore into a dusty Tom Moore BIB from '93. Very nice bourbon!

Sipping on the EC18 and then cracked open a PVW20 tonight. Very good bourbon!:grin:

A little SB blend deliciousness after work is hitting the spot. :grin:

was at another SB member's (Max Power) house tonight and had a lot of small (10ml) pours but OFBB 2011 and WTRB were the best of the bunch. The others we tasted were Weller 12, WR, Hirsch SmBatch, and Bulleit. The Bulleit was a hell of a value at $18.99.

We also had a bunch of super premium tequilas which were damn good and finished off the night with a Glenmorangie Nector D'Or.

'Twas a good night.

I hit two different pre-fire HH barrel strength 18yr bottles last night selected by DougDog...they are barrel numbers 8550 and 8551 dumped on the same date and bottled on the same date. It's amazing that they sat next to each other in the rickhouse for 18yrs and produced two entirely different bourbons. One is very sweet with lots of caramel and vanilla and one is very dry with a nutty profile to it. Both of these bottles came in around the 117-118pr range making them VERY drinkable at barrel proof. Now I just have to see if I can con Doug into parting with a couple more of these gems! :skep:

Started out with a short pour of Pure Kentucky XO, moved on to a Maker's 46 Old Fashioned while prepping food. A Rare Breed Manhattan will get me through the Antipasto, the evening is yet TBD.

Just opened a Binny's OBSK, and it's superb. At 122pf, it's a fighter, but it's deliciously drinkable at full proof. It has a sweet, corny buttermilk thing going on, with a little green leaf mint on the back end. It carries a spicy punch, but the melted caramel is very persuasive.

I believe it's in the 9-10 yo range, and it contrasts quite a bit with the 12yo OBSK 120th Ann 1B. The one I have is 116pf and it's stiff. It's only been open a week or two, and I have found that the older 4R stuff takes at least a few weeks of contact with air to open up, but compared to the just-opened 9-10yo 1B of the same recipe, the 12yo is quite wooden.

I'm settling down for the night with a generous pour of the small batch (138.6 proof) A. Bowman 18 year bourbon. I can't get enough of this stuff. I'm going to be very sad when I put this bottle to rest (which at the rate I'm reaching for it will be quite soon).

Had some Old Pogue with my dad tonight... amid various other libations. Good bourbon. On the sweeter side, but nothing spectacular.

Had some EW BIB followed by Old Ezra 101. The two are very similar, though the EW shows its youth with a little more corn flavor. Good to know if I can't get to the deep(er) South when the EW runs out!

Some nights, I just want something simple. This is one of those nights, and Eagle Rare 10 fits the bill.

Finished off my bottle of HH White Label BiB :cry: but now enjoying some 4R Single Barrel 2011 edition. :grin: vita bona est.

The 4R Jim Rutledge picked and Shoppers Vineyard bottled OESV followed by a single barrel OWA...don't get much better than tonight's pours!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!