What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Congrats, Old Lamplighter!

I'm finishing up a bottle of HH 6yr BIB, and a bag of mini York peppermint patties which were intended as stocking stuffers. Lots o' mint on my tongue right now. I'm a bad Santa.

Congrats indeed - my kids are still young so hearing that helps remind me to savor this time we have together.

Black Maple Hill was in the glencairn tonight. Something fruity and odd in that juice. Very interesting and quite enjoyable.

Bookers! First taste of the stuff.

Let me set the scene: Company holiday party... I work for a liquor store in NY, so the staff knows how to drink. Party took place at a local restaurant/bar--total townie bar out in the country. They let us bring our own wine and beer, but not booze (if we wanted liquor, had to pay the bar).

I drank a bottle of Veuve Cliquot that we brought and a craft beer. But needed a change of pace. Saddled up the bar. Again, townie/woodchuck bar, but oddly well-equipped with plenty of random liquors (think Licor 43 and Tuaca). I could see a few bourbons, but nothing too exciting. Noticef few bottles hidden in the back, behind the standard stuff. I asked the barmaid to show the hidden bottles--again, nothing too crazy, but a Evan Williams SB and Bakers. Then, bam!, Bookers. Haven't had it, so might as well...

Brand new bottle--she read the price per drink the manager wrote on the bottle ($10) and said it seemed too expensive. Poured a heavy 4-5 oz (to give me money's worth) and I paid the $10. Fair enough.

Fantastic nose. I could't stop nosing, but I really needed some water (which I lacked) to appreciate the palate flavors. Overall, really enjoyed the full pour.

Holy shit!! I want to hang with you guys. Did you suffer from palate fatigue?

The pours were small enough where we got through them all just find. I appreciated the last pour almost as much as the first. Regarding then RR Small Batch Single Barrel...I have no clue what that's about. I believe it was discussed on the thread dedicated to that label, but I don't think anyone came to a conclusion as to why that wording was used.

Rush St. Manhattan (Gibson's Steakhouse drink; had one there last night). I used Woodford Double Oaked (they use regular WR), Cherry Heering, Carpano Antica sweet vermouth (don't know which one they use); a couple of Luxardo cherries in the bottom.

rushstmanhattan121712.jpg

My recently purchased bottle of WT 101 just ain't doin' it. I'm afraid WT has let this formerly great whiskey slide a bit which I find very disappointing. Maybe it's an attempt to get me to buy even more Rare Breed but what kind of world is it when you can't trust a bottle of WT 101 to deliver the goods?

My recently purchased bottle of WT 101 just ain't doin' it. I'm afraid WT has let this formerly great whiskey slide a bit which I find very disappointing. Maybe it's an attempt to get me to buy even more Rare Breed but what kind of world is it when you can't trust a bottle of WT 101 to deliver the goods?

I believe this has been wondered about before, but I am hoping that they can get production at WT to the point that they can put the 8 yr AS back on the 101. I liked the import bottle just fine.

Yeah, have to drink them up quick, for some reason that brand evaporates faster than others, probably due to it's higher alcohol content.

I believe this has been wondered about before, but I am hoping that they can get production at WT to the point that they can put the 8 yr AS back on the 101. I liked the import bottle just fine.

I'm with you on that. The 8 year old imports are great. Even my last NAS 101 from last year was fine. But this one is simply a major step down in quality and my friends thought the same.

Easing into the evening with a Four Roses Yellow Label.

Willett 9 year old Davidson's Liquor selection.

It is very reminiscent of OGD114. The nose is cracker jack: dark caramel, peanut, and popcorn. The taste is burnt brownies. It is pretty hot but that is one of its charms.

I encourage the Denver area folks check this out.

Edited by wripvanwrinkle

Willett 9 year old Davidson's Liquor selection.

It is very reminiscent of OGD114. The nose is cracker jack: dark caramel, peanut, and popcorn. The taste is burnt brownies. It is pretty hot but that is one of its charms.

I encourage the Denver area folks check this out.

I call it OGD 123

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!