What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 12/13

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

How did the vatting work out?

Not bad, but really brings out the mint. Tastes a lot like what HH tasted like just a few years ago, long on grass and mint. The current HH style isn't nearly as minty, to my taste.

The best aspect was a nice full, yet silky mouthfeel.

Well there's that, I didn't think about the mint. I do plan to get a bottle of Dickel Rye and was thinking of uses other than the obvious.

Jeez, Will. Are you any relation to Keith Richards? That's a mighty pre-breakfast pour!:grin:

That would be interesting but unlike Richards, I gave up cigarettes over 30 years ago.

GTS is a powerful pour so you must control the size.

That would be interesting but unlike Richards, I gave up cigarettes over 30 years ago.

GTS is a powerful pour so you must control the size.

I understand the practice, I had a pour of 2011 WLW before 11 am yesterday, about 1/2 an hour after I woke up. A 1/2 oz to liven up the day.

Received a package yesterday from TMckenzie of Finger lakes distilling, so last night I got to sample a wheated bourbon that he has started making. I am not generally a fan of micro distilled bourbons but this was a truly delicious pour, it tasted alot like a Dusty bourbon. As he explained it to me, he is trying to bring back the techniques that promote the formation of the ester congeners that give Dusties there distinctive taste and nose. The Dusty nose is unmistakable in this pour as is the dusty taste on both entry and finish. The specs on the bourbon were 100 proof and was aged 4 years in 53 gallon barrels and the mash bill is 70 20 10.

Good on him. It seems other micros are striving to make something different when the best model was right there all the time.

Sunny sunny day today and a balmy 42 degrees and on top of that it's Friday so I'm having a 4R1B on the rocks and another after that.

I understand the practice, I had a pour of 2011 WLW before 11 am yesterday, about 1/2 an hour after I woke up. A 1/2 oz to liven up the day.

Unfortunately I can't do this on work days.

Settling in with a Four Roses OESQ. Man, need to hit this one up more often. Floral and fruity, candy sweet, but still got a good amount of oak and spice on the finish. Great stuff.

Really underwhelmed by the Rebel Reserve I bought on impulse( and on sale) so I made a "wheat sandwich" of 2pt RR, 1pt MM and 1pt Bernheim and its actually quite drinkable.

Old Weller Antique 107. First time in several months. Very good as always.

Thought I'd try some Old Grand Dad tonight.

Rockin' some OGD114 tonight. Last pour from a bottle that just earned new friends, only to leave them!

Ken, while that Pappy is nice, it's the mountain of wine and champagne corks behind it that grabbed my attention!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!