What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up some VW Lot B for $49 a bottle...can't pull the trigger on that when you can get Weller 12 around here for $23.

I passed on a ORVW 10/107 at $50. I was thinking about buying it (despite it costing twice as much as the Weller 12 sitting alongside), but saw a bottle of EC18 nearby for $5 less. Although I've had good and bad bottles of EC18, it's always an interesting pour and I'm sorry it's gone. So I left with the EC.

Passed up some VW Lot B for $49 a bottle...can't pull the trigger on that when you can get Weller 12 around here for $23.

They taste almost the same to me.

Passed on BMH16, EC18, Handy Sazerac.

You weren't at the store where they have THH for $120 were you?

They taste almost the same to me.

You weren't at the store where they have THH for $120 were you?

Nosir. Handy was $70. I left with their last 2012 WLW at the same price.

I passed on a number of things this week. 7 different BTECs. All 3 of the lost Old Charter barrels '89, '91, and '93. There were the 2 French Oak bottles and also the Rice and Oats. The Rice and Oats were on clearance at $35 I think and the others were around $60. The French Oaks might have been $65. I didn't pay that much attention.

For the past few years I've been passing on a Hirsch 21 year Rye for $999 that has been laying on its side all that time. I also passed on the Hirsch 25 year bourbon sitting next to it for around $275. Is the 21 rye the same bottle that I've seen mentioned a lot around here recently? I have always ignored all Hirsch bottlings other than the 16 year bourbon and probably will continue to do so. I've always wondered why that bottle was so expensive. The store that has always had it generally has really good prices on things.

I also passed on a Rittenhouse 23 Rye for $199

Port Ellen 32 Year distillery bottle for $600+

Lagavulin 21 Year distillery bottle for $500+

Stopped by a store that I haven't been to in a few years.

ETL @ $50

Taylor Small Batch, Single Barrel, and Tornado @ $125

VOB 750ml @ $20

Weller 12 @ $35

I passed on a number of things this week. 7 different BTECs. All 3 of the lost Old Charter barrels '89, '91, and '93. There were the 2 French Oak bottles and also the Rice and Oats. The Rice and Oats were on clearance at $35 I think and the others were around $60. The French Oaks might have been $65. I didn't pay that much attention.

For the past few years I've been passing on a Hirsch 21 year Rye for $999 that has been laying on its side all that time. I also passed on the Hirsch 25 year bourbon sitting next to it for around $275. Is the 21 rye the same bottle that I've seen mentioned a lot around here recently? I have always ignored all Hirsch bottlings other than the 16 year bourbon and probably will continue to do so. I've always wondered why that bottle was so expensive.

Those seem like decent prices on BTEC. I like the rediscovered barrels, wouldn't mind trying the French oak.

The Hirsch 21 is seriously overpriced. Hirsch 21/22/25 is supposed to be either Medley or COK stock, hence the interest around these parts. My buddy picked up a Hirsch 21 for under 150 last week. And all of my Hirsch ryes have cost me around that. But a grand for a poorly stored bottle? That is a no-brainer. It is delicious stuff though, if you're a rye kinda guy...

wasn't sure if either of these was good or not. limit 1 on the SB? even had this fancy display for the 10.

checked Chuck's comments; he notes no age statement on the SB.

839decbd-6777-4b1e-8ce6-8dd335409f86_zps4194aaa3.jpg

c7d97f20-1cb3-4648-805b-2d6c07afeaf1_zps4568680e.jpg

My local pub has Bulleit Borbon. I thought about ordering, but didn't . Went home and had a Jeffersons Presedential Select 18 instead. good choice I think :-)

Stopped by a store that I haven't been to in a few years.

ETL @ $50

Taylor Small Batch, Single Barrel, and Tornado @ $125

VOB 750ml @ $20

Weller 12 @ $35

Sheesh....I know a store like that. The only reason I stop there is for their private barrel FR1B.

I went dusty hunting out of town yesterday and passed an OC 10 86 for $23. It was tough, because I've never had it, but it seemed high.

Another place had HMcK 10 BIB for $32, also seemed high. I ended up buying some Armagnac instead.

Sheesh....I know a store like that. The only reason I stop there is for their private barrel FR1B.

(Multiple) Jefferson's Ocean @$250. After hearing from folks this weekend that have tried it, just not interested.

Passed up a Lagavulin 16 for $72.00, didn't really need it, just thought a visitor might like some.

(Multiple) Jefferson's Ocean @$250. After hearing from folks this weekend that have tried it, just not interested.

Despite its bad reputation, I would have jumped on that. I'd buy it just to see how bad it really is, even at that price point.

Passed on Booker's today at $44.99. It is on sale until the end of the month, so I may end up going back for it...

i could NEVER pass on ritt 23.

Maybe I shouldn't have but I have passed this one over many many times.

Mike

Passed on a PVW 20 from 2011 at $425. Highest I have ever seen (not on ebay).

Mike

Passed on a PVW 20 from 2011 at $425. Highest I have ever seen (not on ebay).

Mike

$425? I'd pass on that too. But others will no doubt disagree.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.