What Did You Pass Up Today? Winter '12/'13

savagehenry
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed up a ton of decanters today, a full set of McCormick Elvis, a McCormick train, a handful of Dants, a beam 2 bridges and a ton of Ezra Brooks of various shapes one that I remember was a gun

Also passed up wild turkey Kentucky spirit from 2001

Passed up a ton of decanters today, a full set of McCormick Elvis, a McCormick train, a handful of Dants, a beam 2 bridges and a ton of Ezra Brooks of various shapes one that I remember was a gun

Those McCormick decanters aren't very good (and certainly the most common brand of bourbon in decanters I see), but that WTKS on the other hand...

Those McCormick decanters aren't very good (and certainly the most common brand of bourbon in decanters I see), but that WTKS on the other hand...

Good to know not that i was even remotely tempted to purchase them... I don't know enough about WT products to make an informed purchase so I left them, they are in an area with a bunch of older rare breeds so A bit of research is in order

Some of those older Dants are very good. I would only worry if the decanter leached anything into the contents. Ceramic is questionable.

Michter's SB 20 year @ $150 (That would be a record for me, for a single bottle)

Update on the above. I went back to the store today to confirm what I had seen, given the response here. I misread the price tag, which was printed with a tag maker running out of ink. The actual price was $449.95, and the left hand side of the leading four was almost illegible, which is why I thought it was 149.95. Checked a couple of other bottles, and noted the same problem with a couple of things that I thought started with "8", and were actually "9"-something. Passed because I can buy 4 bottles of Pappy 15 for that, with enough left over for a Breckenridge.

On a very high shelf were two bottles of Ardbeg Galileo for $119 each. Passed, as I don't know that one, though I tasted it later. May go back.

At another store, passed on 2X Baby Saz. Don't drink much rye.

Edited by SFS
forgot the Saz

On a very high shelf were two bottles of Ardbeg Galileo for $119 each. Passed, as I don't know that one, though I tasted it later. May go back.

I would pass. The price is about $20 higher than what most places have it for. Additionally, it is just not a very good whiskey - and I am a huge Ardbeg fan.

Passed up some Kentucky Deluxe and Bourbon Deluxe if I'm not mistaken about the name. They didn't have any place lower than the bottom shelf (since there arent' basements in TX.)

PHC12 for $90 out the door. After my spending spree last weekend I had to pass. If you want it ill tell you where it is

JPS 17yr. @ $130.00 a bottle. The asshole that runs the store sold me a bottle yesterday @ $90.00 (which is MSRP) and commented on how it had been sitting there since 2009. When I went back today to grab a couple more for someone else he greeted me with a smile and said "You should have bought more yesterday...the price just went up!" It's not like I'm a new customer either. I told him I wouldn't spend my money there anymore and he said "that's understandable" without hesitation. I was so mad I could barely see straight.

Then I drove to another store and picked up a couple for $95. Now I feel better having done my good deed for the day without getting bent over in the process.

I think we need to start a thread with a list of places NOT to shop.

Also passed up (different store):

WSR 7yr. from '06 1 liter x 8 @ $20

WSR 7yr. from '06 handle x 5 @ $30

Passed on Hirsh 25 for $200, Handy for $99, and a stash of BTEC oats/rice/french oak/'93 lost barrels for $79.99 each

Also passed up OGD 114 because it's swill

Passed on Hirsh 25 for $200, Handy for $99, and a stash of BTEC oats/rice/french oak/'93 lost barrels for $79.99 each

Also passed up OGD 114 because it's swill

I feel bad for whoever purchased the BTEC oats and rice stuff. Though I have not tasted them (and have no intention to), the reviews lead me to believe Buffalo Trace should have dumped those barrels rather than unleashing them on the unsuspecting public at $50/375ml.

Good call passing on the Old Grand Dad 114 - it's hideous stuff that gives Rebel Yell a run for its money.

**edit. As MyOldyDram just pointed out, it was the oat version that people thought was nothing short of terrible and which Hansell said "Don't Buy This Whiskey"

Edited by LostBottle

All of the BTEC are grossly overpriced. That being said, I didnt mind the rice so much. Nothing really special, but perfectly drinkable. The giant French oak however I loved. Wouldn't mind seeing a full size offering of something like that one.

So, I have an entire seller full of "Oats and Rice". When the Zombie apocalypse comes I wil use it to keep them away. No, I'm not kidding.

Free bottles to the first 25 vistors.

All that aside, I only wish I could say that those were ones I had passed up. But unfortunatly I can say that. Since my wife isnt a member here I wil blame her.

Buffalo Trace should have dumped those barrels rather than unleashing them on the unsuspecting public at $50/375ml.

I wish I could actually find some BTEC for $50. I am really curious about the French Oak one, but not for $79!

I feel bad for whoever purchased the BTEC oats and rice stuff.

Thanks for feeling bad for me.

Actually, the rice wasn't horrible. I think it best likened it to drinking a decent light beer. It wasn't offensive, but there just wasn't anything there.

The Oat was horrible, it had this pee'd on barn yard straw thing going on. I tried to get through the bottle, then Hansell told me to dump it. Best advice ever.

B

Wish I had picked up that bottle of Rock Hill Farms with the ridiculous price tag of $30 on it. Just too many other things in the cart at the time.

Wish you had, that's a good price on an excellent whisky. Was the RHF on close out?

Wish you had, that's a good price on an excellent whisky. Was the RHF on close out?

No. I think it was the original price sticker and it's just been sitting there all this time. I tossed and turned last night, kicking myself for not buying it, so I guess I'll be on my horse today to go get it. But I did get a Hancock's Reserve for $32 and two bottles of Black Bush Irish whiskey in gift packs for $22 each. Not bad, eh?

Not bad at all, I'd mine that vein until it ran out.

It's really all but done, so those of you contemplating a PM shouldn't bother. This is a crappy little store with nothing left of interest, not even any decent tequila at this point. (Got that too!)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.