Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Do you think United Distillers would have closed down SW 20 years ago if they knew how much they could make on wheated bourbon? It's easy to second guess such decisions with such hindsight.

Had UDL kept SW open we wouldn't be having this discussion .... 'cuz there would be hundreds of thousands of ho-hum bottles on the shelf (just like BT, WT, JB, JD, etc) and they would be selling for 20-40 bucks each.

The frenzy exists today mostly because they're not making any more of it, and the stuff that survives exists because too few wanted to buy it when it was 4-10 years old.

People aspire for what they can't have. Why they can't have it can be for different reasons. All of the Above: Kate Upton.

ISO: Kate Upton. Willing to f/t 2 dozen FRSmBLE and the complete set of FRSBLE.

Had UDL kept SW open we wouldn't be having this discussion .... 'cuz there would be hundreds of thousands of ho-hum bottles on the shelf (just like BT, WT, JB, JD, etc) and they would be selling for 20-40 bucks each.

The frenzy exists today mostly because they're not making any more of it, and the stuff that survives exists because too few wanted to buy it when it was 4-10 years old.

Ditto Scotch distilleries - do you think Port Ellen would have closed if they were selling it for $1000/bottle? The distillery would be the slze of the island if that were the case. Peated whisky was not fashionable and what they had went a long way in blends.

I was curious today so I looked around a little bit on the internet to see what the grey market prices are these days.

Man. Ridiculous. Almost enough to make me want to sell what I have. Almost.

ISO: Kate Upton. Willing to f/t 2 dozen FRSmBLE and the complete set of FRSBLE.

Bwahahaha - truly sig worthy ;-)

Ditto Scotch distilleries - do you think Port Ellen would have closed if they were selling it for $1000/bottle? The distillery would be the slze of the island if that were the case. Peated whisky was not fashionable and what they had went a long way in blends.
Edited by LostBottle

No argument there - I have some of each (except St Magdalene) and I agree they are some great whiskies. But as you said, someone would have had to realize that these whiskies start to shine at older ages than the market at the time was demanding. I was (probably in an overly simplistic way) pointing out that if there was a $1000/bottle market at the time for aged Port Ellen or any other currently shuttered distillery, it would still be in operation. But that segment of the market growing could not be foreseen in 1983.

Can anyone say what the whisk(e)y markets looks like in 2033-2043? That is what every one of the current distillers would have to know right now to make a bet on laying down enough barrels to have 20-30 year old whisk(e)y in any volume to serve the market down the road. So while hindsight is always 20/20, I can't fault the decisions made to close SW, Port Ellen, and others based on what their current experiences were telling them.

I suppose you could factor in the cost of what a bet like that would mean today in net present value terms - and price your current product accordingly to defray at least some of the expense and carrying cost invested for 25 years if you had to take the 1/3 full barrel that was left at that time only to be dumped into your bottom shelf brand. But if that meant that current lower or mid-shelf brands were 20%-30% more expensive, I think we know the answer.

Edited by sutton

Back on topic...

The cheapest prices I've seen here are as follows:

ORVW - $49-$66

LotB ? - Not interested/didn't ask

PVW15 - $103-$129

PVW20 - $185-$199

PVW23 - $350

VWFRR - $85-$99

...and I finally scored my first bottles of (proper) PVW (I've been able to get ORVW and Lot B in the past.) For those who have never bought any I suggest you pick a store to frequent and get to know the employees/owners and hope for the best. I would not and have not tried much harder than that. A little patience and friendliness goes a long way.

Edit: I forgot to add that I have seen absurd prices too. $400 for PVW15 and I didn't even ask the price of the other bottles.

Edited by smknjoe

Joe, I can't believe you've even seen any VW at all here, except maybe at that one store which I don't even like to go into anymore.

If you don't think fake Pappy bottles are out there, think again. What do you think people are doing buying up empties for very good money? Anyone who dismisses it merely as people putting it on their bar to impress their friends is asleep at the switch...

Have a look here. $100 for empty 23 bottles? $60 for empty 20s? Yeah, only one thing those are being used for.

Take a look at what Ralphy has to say

. Edited by LostBottle

It was only a matter of time - given this industry hasn't adopted the anti-fraud tactics of the high-end wine industry, an empty bottle is almost worth what a full bottle was worth just a few years ago ... sad, really.

Have a look here. $100 for empty 23 bottles? $60 for empty 20s? Yeah, only one thing those are being used for.

i can't believe how much those crappy rocks glasses are selling for!!@

It was only a matter of time - given this industry hasn't adopted the anti-fraud tactics of the high-end wine industry, an empty bottle is almost worth what a full bottle was worth just a few years ago ... sad, really.

You are spot on with that comment.

sketch bars are refilling them to pass off as pappy to unsuspecting customers as well..

sketch bars are refilling them to pass off as pappy to unsuspecting customers as well..

That has been going on for ages. I bet it happens more with wells being passed off as calls but no doubt it is occurring with products that are hard to get.

Im surprised the Chinese have not knocked off whiskeys. Making outright counterfeit versions rather than refilling.

Local store prices last night;

ORVW 10 - $129.00

PVW 15 - $199.00

PVW 20 - $529.00

They had one of each. If interested Ill pick them up for ya for a small handling fee, just kidding. I nearly passed out.

Jim

ORVW 10 - $129.00

PVW 15 - $199.00

PVW 20 - $529.00

They had one of each. If interested Ill pick them up for ya for a small handling fee, just kidding. I nearly passed out.

Jim

Sounds like the real pirate is the one running that liquor store. Argh!

I'm surprised the Chinese have not knocked off whiskeys. Making outright counterfeit versions rather than refilling.

Pray they don't. They did this with wine and have f*cked up the Bordeaux and Burgundy markets. Those fakes will be passed from collector to collector, either unwittingly or not, for decades.

That has been going on for ages. I bet it happens more with wells being passed off as calls but no doubt it is occurring with products that are hard to get.

Im surprised the Chinese have not knocked off whiskeys. Making outright counterfeit versions rather than refilling.

You mean like this?

red-labial.jpg

ORVW 10 - $129.00

PVW 15 - $199.00

PVW 20 - $529.00

Jim

Those numbers might have prompted me to utter some bleeps toward whomever was behind the counter as I headed out the door.:hot:

Wow, and I've been throwing my empties in the recycling bin.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!