Current PVW Prices 2012/2013

smknjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Is that 60% year on year price increase retailer, or Van Winkle greed?

Edited by LostBottle

One of the benefits of membership here, a very real benefit, is learning about such things as the SB blend and why it works, plus the availability of hand selected barrels of OWA, both of which are viable alternatives to the much higher priced and hard to get brands.

Is that 60% year on year price increase retailer, or Van Winkle greed?

No, that was the retailer not raising the price for 5 years and now pricing it where it should be, just above Retail. They were previously selling it below retail (I presume).

One of the benefits of membership here, a very real benefit, is learning about such things as the SB blend and why it works, plus the availability of hand selected barrels of OWA, both of which are viable alternatives to the much higher priced and hard to get brands.

Totally agree squire. The SB blend is very tasty and I've have a few OWA SB's from TPS( $21 a bottle) that are as good as any wheater I've ever had, PVW included

• 2 months later...

Well I guess I didn't get retail after all if the above is correct.

PVW20 - 149

PVW15 - 110/ 90 at another location (edited)

LOT B - 80

ORVW 10 - 53

...and I'm still happy, happy, happy...pappy!!

Retail prices seem to be all over the place. Even within the same region. Those still look like decent retail prices KFC!

Retail prices seem to be all over the place. Even within the same region. Those still look like decent retail prices KFC!

The bottom line is that retail price is irrelevant in the quest to obtain this holy grail of the whisky world and the best whisk(e)y ever produced. When I try to do figure out the QPR I get #DIV/0!, because Pappy is, well...priceless.

The bottom line is that retail price is irrelevant in the quest to obtain this holy grail of the whisky world and the best whisk(e)y ever produced. When I try to do figure out the QPR I get #DIV/0!, because Pappy is, well...priceless.

PA state prices:

PVW 23 - $249.89

PVW 20 - $129.99

12 Yr Lot B - $54.99

ORVW 10 - $39.99

13 Yr Rye - $69.99

15 yr not offered yet

These prices were sent to me by on of my vendors this year

10 year 107 proof@ $35.99

12 year @ $48.99

15 year @ $69.99

20 year @ $114.99

23 year Pappy 95.6 proof @ $219.99 each

Van Winkle 13 yr. @ $64.99

Dorignac's in Metairie, LA:

10: $150

12: $200

15: $300

20: $500

23: $750

Rye: $200

Yay!

Well, alright then.

nope-nope-nope_zpsdbd4a898.gif

post-9014-14489819941886_thumb.gif

Edited by Yeti

As high as those prices are, I am happy to see them charge it. They should actually raise retail on a couple of those because they are leaving money on the table for someone else to take. I hope many more stores follow suit. In my opinion, it is better for a retailer who actually adds something to the process, to take the profit rather than some leech who simply strolls in, buys it, and immediately turns around and sells it for a windfall profit. Stores like Dorignac's will help kill the secondary market and the hype, for this we should thank them.

Edited by LostBottle

As high as those prices are, I am happy to see them charge it. They should actually raise retail on a couple of those because they are leaving money on the table for someone else to take. I hope many more stores follow suit. In my opinion, it is better for a retailer who actually adds something to the process, to take the profit rather than some leech who simply strolls in, buys it, and immediately turns around and sells it for a windfall profit. Stores like Dorignac's will help kill the secondary market and the hype, for this we should thank them.

The real question is why Sazerac has not raised the prices on Pappy and the Antique Collection at a quick clip. As the producer of the product, they add the most value and should be the major beneficiary of the crazy profits being made.

I am left to wonder if the Sazerac analysts have done the math and actually know what they are doing. Pricing it lower than market value creates a frenzy around those particular gems, and stores will jump through hoops to get it. Sazerac has to know that if they eat potential profit on the rare items, they more than compensate on the other end by being able to dangle those bottles as lures to have stores push all the other Sazerac lines during the rest of the year just to get a couple Pappys allotted. This may be another major reason we are not seeing notable increases on the "rarities", especially stuff like Handy & ORVW10, which could have been done by now. I think Sazerac knows that if they were to produce more "limited" bottles, retailers would not have to work as hard pushing cases of vodka.

Edited by LostBottle

I know that it is illegal for an individual without a liquor license to sell to another individual. I have often wondered why producers don't take a larger role in trying to police resale of their products on the black market. It sort of seems like the individual who is reselling the product would be violating an agreement that has been struck between the producer and distributor (or state) on the distribution of their product and/or possibly trademark restrictions. I guess I am thinking more in terms of "knock off" top merchandise like fake Seiko watches or Nike apparel.

I know that it is illegal for an individual without a liquor license to sell to another individual. I have often wondered why producers don't take a larger role in trying to police resale of their products on the black market. It sort of seems like the individual who is reselling the product would be violating an agreement that has been struck between the producer and distributor (or state) on the distribution of their product and/or possibly trademark restrictions. I guess I am thinking more in terms of "knock off" top merchandise like fake Seiko watches or Nike apparel.
Edited by LostBottle

The real question is why Sazerac has not raised the prices on Pappy and the Antique Collection at a quick clip. As the producer of the product, they add the most value and should be the major beneficiary of the crazy profits being made.

I am left to wonder if the Sazerac analysts have done the math and actually know what they are doing. Pricing it lower than market value creates a frenzy around those particular gems, and stores will jump through hoops to get it. Sazerac has to know that if they eat potential profit on the rare items, they more than compensate on the other end by being able to dangle those bottles as lures to have stores push all the other Sazerac lines during the rest of the year just to get a couple Pappys allotted. This may be another major reason we are not seeing notable increases on the "rarities", especially stuff like Handy & ORVW10, which could have been done by now. I think Sazerac knows that if they were to produce more "limited" bottles, retailers would not have to work as hard pushing cases of vodka.

To price something so high that their target audience couldn't afford it would do much damage to the long term image of the brand

Except that people, especially Americans and our consumer culture, are aspirational. People really want what they can't have or that which is deemed "luxury". Besides, you don't have to be able to afford it when there is credit.

Ultimately, I think you are right about long term-damage of the brand. Unfortunately, people in the spirits business never seem to make wise long-term decisions. Bourbon glut, bourbon shortage, closing of amazing distilleries, lowering quality, discontinuing value brands in favor of premium brands, etc. Year over year profit increases (and I assume the bonuses that come with them) are a very motivating factor in many a decision.

Edited by LostBottle

Except that people, especially Americans and our consumer culture, are aspirational. People really want what they can't have or that which is deemed "luxury". Besides, you don't have to be able to afford it when there is credit.

People aspire for what they can't have. Why they can't have it can be for different reasons. Too expensive: Ferrari Supercar, Vacation to Bora Bora. Too rare: Pappy Van Winkle bourbons, 1965 Mustang Fastback. Too hard to get: Voodoo Maple Bacon Bar, Hermes Birkin bag. All of the Above: Kate Upton.

Ultimately, I think you are right about long term-damage of the brand. Unfortunately, people in the spirits business never seem to make wise long-term decisions. Bourbon glut, bourbon shortage, closing of amazing distilleries, lowering quality, discontinuing value brands in favor of premium brands, etc. Year over year profit increases (and I assume the bonuses that come with them) are a very motivating factor in many a decision.

I think the problem with spirits is that decisions regarding manufacturing and goods need to be made far in advance, often decades. Do you think United Distillers would have closed down SW 20 years ago if they knew how much they could make on wheated bourbon? It's easy to second guess such decisions with such hindsight. In my mind, the fact that many of these companies and brands still exist and we have good whiskey to drink is good enough

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!