Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

HighInTheMtns
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I occasionally have corks that get a little loose.  Just give the bottle a quick turn over 1-2 times after each pour to keep it moist, and that should keep y'all good.

^^^^^^^

Joe, mine is more than just a little loose. If you turn the bottle over the bourbon pours through the cap. These corks don't seem to want to expand either. I have to pull mine halfway up and it seals a little. I don't have any replacements either because they are so ridiculously large. 

36 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

^^^^^^^

Joe, mine is more than just a little loose. If you turn the bottle over the bourbon pours through the cap. These corks don't seem to want to expand either. I have to pull mine halfway up and it seals a little. I don't have any replacements either because they are so ridiculously large. 

I'd give that one a quick decant into another container B1.  Seems like the larger the cork, the more inclined for potential issues.  I, like others have noted previously, keep a few old ones in zip lock bags.  You never know...

I've drank several ECBP and have never had this problem. I usually check the cork at purchase though and if it turns without much effort won't buy it.

Checked some old consumed ECBP bottles and some of the corks were loose. I always remember them being super tight and would make a loud pop every time they were opened.

Apparently this is a dry cork issue. My newly opened ones are tight, but also moist from continually opening them.

Makes me want to wrap the tops of all bunkered Elijah Craig bottles.

10 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

Checked some old consumed ECBP bottles and some of the corks were loose. I always remember them being super tight and would make a loud pop every time they were opened.

Apparently this is a dry cork issue. My newly opened ones are tight, but also moist from continually opening them.

Makes me want to wrap the tops of all bunkered Elijah Craig bottles.

do you just take some plastic cling wrap and wrap it around the tops of the bottles to do this?  and do this over the current plastic film on the bottles?  Thanks!

21 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

do you just take some plastic cling wrap and wrap it around the tops of the bottles to do this?  and do this over the current plastic film on the bottles?  Thanks!

I use Parafilm thanks to a recommendation from an SBer and yes, I do it over the plastic that is on the bottles.

13 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

I use Parafilm thanks to a recommendation from an SBer and yes, I do it over the plastic that is on the bottles.

cool, thanks for the recommendation.

3 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

cool, thanks for the recommendation.

It depends on what you want to accomplish.  Parafilm has low permeability to moisture (and perhaps limits evaporation), but is permeable to air.  I use Teflon tape (often referred to as Plumbers' tape), which has low permeability to both moisture and air.  It's available in hardware stores or the hardware dept of any big box store.  I use it aggressively only on ECBP because of that undersized cork issue, both on opened and unopened bottles.  I've seen bourbon leak through the unopened plastic wrapper on ECBP bottles.  [permeability data for Parafilm and Teflon tape are on the net].  I do not know if all the effort is necessary, but I consider ECBP bottles sort of special purchases.

That's the first reference I've heard for using teflon tape, Madhatter.

It's an EXCELLENT recommendation, since it's available at every hardware store for peanuts. Parafilm is rather expensive.

I actually bought a used professional melting pot to wax dip bottle tops - never got around to doing them yet, though :)

PTFE tape aka PolyTetraFluoroEthylene tape aka teflon tape is a much more user friendly solution. Thanks for posting!

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

That's the first reference I've heard for using teflon tape, Madhatter.

It's an EXCELLENT recommendation, since it's available at every hardware store for peanuts.

Black Tot,  you may recognize it as an old lab survival tool.  If you wanted to keep water from evaporating from an erlenmeyer flask, you could slap parafilm over the opening.  But if you wanted to keep a ground glass joint air and solvent proof without silicone grease contamination, use teflon tape to wrap the male joint.  It's fun to be able to use a little of the old education in the bourbon world.  [humor]

nice, and I do have plenty of teflon tape available, thanks for the suggestion!

• 2 weeks later...

Like my Phillips head screwdrivers, my half dozen rolls of teflon tape are never where I put them when I really need them.  Just thinking about this is depressing. A short glass of Larceny will set me up. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2015 at 2:05 PM, starhopper said:

$85 is a bit nuts if you ask me.  I think I would pass if was above $59.

Hey starhopper, does ECBP #10 (138.8 proof) for $59.99 OTD work for you?  I couldn't resist the temptation to pick one up today - I gotta' stop having Blanton's for lunch.   ;)

Edited by GeeTen

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey starhopper, does ECBP #10 (138.8 proof) for $59.99 OTD work for you?  I couldn't resist the temptation to pick one up today - I gotta' stop having Blanton's for lunch.   ;)

$59.99 OTD I wouldn't hesitate - and would probably buy two if they had 'em!

1 hour ago, starhopper said:

$59.99 OTD I wouldn't hesitate - and would probably buy two if they had 'em!

The little shop only had one, sorry.   :(

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

The little shop only had one, sorry.   :(

Yeah, that's been my experience - shops only getting one bottle of it.

• 3 weeks later...

So I see some ECBP at a store, I believe it was around 135 proof.

I noticed that they are no longer using natural  corks they are using the crushed pressed cork that was on the  regular 12YO small batch as of late. 

I have some 2013 bottled ECSB and at that time the were using natural corks on the 12YO small batch.

I am wondering if bunkering some of this stuff with the crushed cork will the crushed corks hold up over time?

I've found some stuff about how these types of cork don't hold up well with the aging of wine, but I have no idea about bourbon. My intuition is that bourbon is different than wine because there is no contact between the cork and the liquid inside the bottle.

I'd say if you're worried seal the bottle with parafilm. 

Just picked up two bottles at NC ABC Chapel Hill for $49.95. I left one on the shelf because I don't believe in clearing shelves - bad karma.

One thing I noticed though, was I couldn't find the age statement. I thought the ECBP juice was 12 years old though, right? Sorry if this has already been discussed.....looking forward to my first sips of ECBP!

59 minutes ago, tarheel said:

Just picked up two bottles at NC ABC Chapel Hill for $49.95. I left one on the shelf because I don't believe in clearing shelves - bad karma.

One thing I noticed though, was I couldn't find the age statement. I thought the ECBP juice was 12 years old though, right? Sorry if this has already been discussed.....looking forward to my first sips of ECBP!

My batches 7 and 8 say in small print on the back label text :     ... 'from 12 years of aging' .....  Look there on yours, and let us know if the age reference is not present.  

I've wondered if ECBP would not be better with 10 years of aging.  A nonchillfiltered  10 year Henry McKenna BP would interest me.  

Sorry Madhatter but no way!  I like HMcK but don't change my ECBP!!!!!  It's perfect!!

tarheel please tell me you just missed the "12 years of aging" :(

They were pretty adamant that they were keeping ECBP at 12 years when they removed the age statement from the small batch.

20 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Sorry Madhatter but no way!  I like HMcK but don't change my ECBP!!!!!  It's perfect!!

I'm not suggesting changing the ECBP.  I've owned three bottles and value it's flavor intensity.  But, I've always had the idea that good barrel proofs have a good underlying bourbon base.  As far as taste quality, my preference is HMK 10 yr BIB versus ECBP 12 yr.  So that's the reason for seeing a HMK BP in addition to ECBP.  At the BP level, it might turn out, for other reasons, that there is no major difference, but I would still like to see other BP options from HH.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.