What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I.W. Harper 15 Year for $80. I was very excited to see it until I turned the bottle and saw the price tag.

While that is certainly marked up you may not run into another. I have been through a few bottles of it so would probably pass but would easily pay $80 for Centennial if it was on the shelf next to it.

Whoa, a baby Saz was $69?! Or you passed on a Saz 18 at that price?

It was a standard Sazerac Rye not the BTAC version. Is "baby Saz" something different than those? Maybe I'm confusing the lingo here.

It was a standard Sazerac Rye not the BTAC version. Is "baby Saz" something different than those? Maybe I'm confusing the lingo here.

You are right. Baby Saz is the quasi 6 year old 90 proof Sazerac. It is supposed to be $30ish. I think the $69 price tag made it appear is was the 18 year version. I would pass on that for $69 also.

No that's the Baby Saz. Just 3 x what it should cost mercy.

Yep I had sticker shock as well. I even checked the BT website when I got back just to make sure I was looking at the right bottle and it was the plain Jane Saz. Even the THH was overpriced from what I have seen elsewhere. But will always pass on rye in that range.

While that is certainly marked up you may not run into another. I have been through a few bottles of it so would probably pass but would easily pay $80 for Centennial if it was on the shelf next to it.

Oh trust me, as soon as I saw it I started looking for the Weller to no avail.

Passed on some WTKS, dark top, dated 2005. Plus some WTRR from around that same time, had the old style label.

Almost pulled the trigger, but pulled back in the end. Most likely, it will be there next time.

B

Hirsch 22 yr rye, mastersons 10yr rye, ofbb2012, 4 roses single barrel limited 2011, hirsch16 yr,

GTS and ER17 each Cdn$100

3 and 6 available at Bayview Village store in Toronto but had to line-up early to get them. I don't live in Toronto, so I missed out. Craftier individuals were able to pry them from other store managers earlier in the week.

I work right next to a liquor store in the downtown area and this particular store is located near all the luxury hotels. They have quite an impressive selection: BTAC 2012, PHC 2012, 4RSmBLE 2012...and all of it is about double list price. I'd love to pick up some of the PHC, but there's no way I can justify spending $160 on one bottle.

Lemme guess...Marketplace Wine & Spirits? Walked in there last year or so before the Pixies concert. Walked right back out.

Hirsch 22 yr rye, mastersons 10yr rye, ofbb2012, 4 roses single barrel limited 2011, hirsch16 yr,

I'd also like to know the asking price on both of the Hirsch bottles. I've also run across both recently, the rye for 135-150, and the 16 for 500-1000. I grabbed the 2 Hirsch 22 ryes but left the AH Hirsch behind at that price.

Lemme guess...Marketplace Wine & Spirits? Walked in there last year or so before the Pixies concert. Walked right back out.

Yeah, usually I wouldn't name names...but what they are doing is highway robbery.

Yes, but figure, a small store with limited inventory, probably high rent, and a limited customer base. I've been in that store as well. Nicely done, and yes, expensive. But, the answer is to simply not buy anything there if the prices offend you. I looked, then left without buying. But it is still a free country and he is free to charge whatever he likes for what he sells. No one is making anyone buy from him. I don't have a problem with the guy.

What did they want for the Hirsch 16? Haven't heard about one of those being passed on in a while. Haven't really heard of many of those even being spotted for that matter.

Hirsch 22 rye was accurate. The 16 year was michters Sour Mash Whiskey not hirsch. They were sitting right next to each other.

The AH Hirsch 16 was nice enough but if it were a fraction of the price I would still pass.

The NPP stuff masquerading as Hirsch today I will pass at any price.

Hirsch 21/22 rye sub $150ish is a no brainier buy every time I see em. AH 16 is a bit more tricky and price dependent.

THH,ER17,CEHT SB,CEHT Rye and '12 OFBB not bad prices just have plenty and the Sampler is right around the bend.

Two bottles of Elijah Craig 12 - Barrel Proof.

Call me contrarian, but this barrel proof craze is wearing me out. A retailer that I'm friendly with told me that he received three bottles of the EJ12BP on Friday and they were purchased within an hour by one person. When he said to the new customer "Are you a big fan of the regular proof Elijah Craig 12?" the buyer said, "I've never tried it before but these new ones are going to be hard to find and they're barrel proof, which is awesome."

Indeed

On EC12BP - I'm hoping the smart people at HH put out a ton of this stuff and it filters down to us bottom-feeders. I won't pay an arm and a leg, if they say $40 MSRP, that's what I'll pay or go without. Buying the standard EC12 for $20 is sufficient consolation.

OFBB 2012, $39, which seemed decent price, but didn't pull the trigger, maybe circle back later in a week or so.

Today I ran across a couple of handles of WSR 90 with 7 yr AS. I passed, but not sure I should have.

What is a price you'd be a buyer at?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!