What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OFBB 2012, $39, which seemed decent price, but didn't pull the trigger, maybe circle back later in a week or so.

That's $20 cheaper than these parts.

Today I ran across a couple of handles of WSR 90 with 7 yr AS. I passed, but not sure I should have.

What is a price you'd be a buyer at?

I think $15-$20 a fifth is about right. There is a place close by that has handles of the old label from 2006 for $30. They look similar to this:

post-9262-1448981884155_thumb.jpg

Today I ran across a couple of handles of WSR 90 with 7 yr AS. I passed, but not sure I should have.

What is a price you'd be a buyer at?

Probably $30ish. Might get one at $35 since they're dusty.

That's the ones joe, and these were $32+tax for the 1.75s. When I can get Weller 12 for under $40, I wanted them cheaper.

Maybe I'll offer them $60 for both.

Not today, but I can already tell you what I'll be passing on in the future...remember talk of the sherry finished Beam Distillers Masterpiece? Well, it will be available first week in May, only at Beam, for only $199. Yeah, no.

Not today, but I can already tell you what I'll be passing on in the future...remember talk of the sherry finished Beam Distillers Masterpiece? Well, it will be available first week in May, only at Beam, for only $199. Yeah, no.

FWIW, I had a bourbon cocktail made with sherry and port at the Bourbon Classic. It was interesting...something I'd have again, but not because I wanted bourbon. The bourbon was lost in the sherry, really.

I recently passed on EC 20, and the extra aged version of Rittenhouse (with "Rittenhouse" vertically on the label). They both cost $170ish. I guess with no VW, they had to put something else into the display case.

Two bottles of Elijah Craig 12 - Barrel Proof.

Call me contrarian, but this barrel proof craze is wearing me out. A retailer that I'm friendly with told me that he received three bottles of the EJ12BP on Friday and they were purchased within an hour by one person. When he said to the new customer "Are you a big fan of the regular proof Elijah Craig 12?" the buyer said, "I've never tried it before but these new ones are going to be hard to find and they're barrel proof, which is awesome."

Indeed

On EC12BP - I'm hoping the smart people at HH put out a ton of this stuff and it filters down to us bottom-feeders. I won't pay an arm and a leg, if they say $40 MSRP, that's what I'll pay or go without. Buying the standard EC12 for $20 is sufficient consolation.

Same here, the price was 50 bucks which is supposedly state minimum here in Michigan, that's not the issue I'm sure he wasn't lying to me. However I has just bought a bottle of Templeton Rye at 40 bucks and It just really wasn't in my budget and he had plenty of other cool single barrel stuff for less to keep me occupied, including single barrel versions of regular EC12. Plus I think I'm still fairly early in my bourbon journey to fully appreciate it.

I'm also banking on the fact that they will release this again, or maybe even make it a semi regular thing.

09' THH @ $100

10' THH @ $100 x2

11' THH @ $80 x3 (might go back for one later)

12' Stagg @ $100

VW 12 year @ $159.99..... wow

WT American Spirit @ $159.99..... another wow

PHC' 2012 edition x3 (forgot price)

Left an Old Medley 12yo on the shelf. Searched and found a few references to it here but not much detail in recent posts. I presume this is sourced bourbon but no idea where it is from. Apparently a somewhat limited release but just not sure it worth the price tag (around $50 I believe) for 86.8 proof whiskey without knowing a bit more about it given EC12 is half that.

Anybody know any details?

Left an AAA 10-Star from the early 90s on the shelf (only because I have no idea if it would be any better/different than current, and I've got plenty).

Left an Old Medley 12yo on the shelf. Searched and found a few references to it here but not much detail in recent posts. I presume this is sourced bourbon but no idea where it is from. Apparently a somewhat limited release but just not sure it worth the price tag (around $50 I believe) for 86.8 proof whiskey without knowing a bit more about it given EC12 is half that.

I've had a bottle. Darned good stuff.

Nobody knows for sure where it comes from but the nas is thought to have Heaven Hill roots and probably the same for this. There is an interview with Charles Medley about it on Tom Fischer's site with so little information it's not worth linking. A pass for me at $50 here too.

There was a little bit of discussion about it here back in January http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?19077-Medley-12-Year

Nobody knows for sure where it comes from but the nas is thought to have Heaven Hill roots and probably the same for this. There is an interview with Charles Medley about it on Tom Fischer's site with so little information it's not worth linking. A pass for me at $50 here too.

There was a little bit of discussion about it here back in January http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?19077-Medley-12-Year

Recently, I've seen this Old Medley 12 at every store that has a modest selection.

I was very tempted by a Taylor Tornado and a PHC Cognac today! Nice prices, and I really like both of these, but I'm trying to combat my whiskeyrexia nervosa with a buying freeze. I feel like I took my first step toward recovery. Not sure why I even tempted myself by walking into the store, but I guess that as bad of a compulsion as is purchasing more than I need.

i would have picked up the PHC cognac. i haven't seen one in chicago in ages.

Willet 5 yr straight rye 110 proof $35 only because there was one more bottle of ECBP in the back. :)

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Later in my day today passed on 3 '05 Old Forester Birthday Bourbons, '02 Kentucky Spirit, 3 WT rye 101s and a Canadian Club 30 yr I was almost toyed out of shear What would a 30 yr Canadian Whiskey taste like.. Then I came to my senses

Later in my day today passed on 3 '05 Old Forester Birthday Bourbons, '02 Kentucky Spirit, 3 WT rye 101s and a Canadian Club 30 yr I was almost toyed out of shear What would a 30 yr Canadian Whiskey taste like.. Then I came to my senses

Too funny - before I discovered bourbon Crown was my drink of choice, and even after finding bourbon I couldn't resist buying their Cask 16 just to see what finished in cognac would be like. It is about like one would expect - Crown with a touch of cognac at an outrageous price :rolleyes: No one to blame but myself. Curiosity killed the checkbook

HW 21 at $110. cheapest i have seen it in the wild, but have not been wowed enough by their lower end products to want to take the plunge on that one (i know they dont make any of the actual whiskey in the 21)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!