What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In my short time here on SB, and an enjoyable time so far, this has to be thread that causes me the most anguish. I read through these posts and wish that I had the opportunity to pass up (or gobble up) what others have passed on over the past few months. On the bright side, I'm starting to build a nice list of states that I plan on visiting (or re-visiting) in the near future.

Parkers Heritage 2012. It was taunting me, but I decided the $90 was probably better spend elsewhere.

Parkers Heritage 2012. It was taunting me, but I decided the $90 was probably better spend elsewhere.

Funny, after that one being quite tough to find last Fall (at least in Northern California), I saw a bunch on the shelf in one place and some coming at another store. Must have been an additional release wave here.

I like it well enough , but have a couple around and will probably keep my "expensive whiskey" powder dry for something else.

I'm hoping to find one of the latest wave as I had already blown my bourbon budget in September when it came out. After having tried it a few times since, definitely one I want to add to the collection.

On this PHC topic, I saw a PHC 27 yr (two actually) today and was pumped. First ones I had seen in the wild. Then I looked at the price. Then i asked the clerk to make sure. Then I walked out.This mom and pop store wanted $227.99 for each. :skep:

I'd have probably jumped. They were right at $200 when they came out. Feel free to PM me where you found them. :grin:

Interesting. I have only seen the Wheater and the four grain and they were both around $80. Didn't realize that one was so much more. Thought these guys just jacked up the price due to scarcity.

Sounds like it. I just assumed they were all around the same price point based on the two versions I have eyeballed in stores before these.

MSRP is like $50

Whoa, then this is seriously mispriced. I might have to go there and clean them out.

is that small batch or single barrel. small batch is in the ~$30. russel's reserve 1B is give or take $50

Funny, after that one being quite tough to find last Fall (at least in Northern California), I saw a bunch on the shelf in one place and some coming at another store. Must have been an additional release wave here.

I like it well enough , but have a couple around and will probably keep my "expensive whiskey" powder dry for something else.

Went out to buy two Jameson 18 and try to get some more BTAC in the back. Couldn't get anymore GTS or WLW but saw quite a bit more of the PHC2012 66.6%. Must have a gotten a new shipment. I have a bunch at home already as well.

Hugh

is that small batch or single barrel. small batch is in the ~$30. russel's reserve 1B is give or take $50

It was the single barrel, 110 proof. I think they had it accidentally priced as the small batch. I'm going to grab it tmrw. Funny that this is at the same store where the owner overpriced his JPS21 and boasted about how he should be charging more. He was so eager to gouge on that stuff that he didn't realize this other screw up. If he hadn't been a douche I would buy 1 and then tell him about the mistake, but now I'm going to clean him out just because. I think I saw 4 bottles left. Karma comes back around.

in the interest of not being a spiteful douche myself I'm going to get one and if I like it go back for more. No need to rush into things.

Edited by Wryguy

I am unaware that Bulleit makes a 10 year old rye. I thought that was only their bourbon that came in a 10 year old version. I like their rye. Its whatever the typical LDI mashbill is, high rye 95% yada yada. Anyway Alden, I would suggest you check out the website winesearcher, which even in the regular version gives you things like average prices for stuff. You can also refine the search for your state to see if that price makes sense in a more local context. The only time this is not a useful tool is with highly allocated items that tend to have unreasonable prices placed on them. But, for most common products, its a pretty strong indicator of the ballpark you should be paying for something

Passed up Bulliet rye for $26.00.

Did I do a bad thing?

No. I can get it on sale for around $20. It is very similar to Dickel rye (same source) and I actually prefer the Dickel slightly. I don't know what you pay for Dickel rye down there but I wouldn't pay more than that for Bulleit.

No. I can get it on sale for around $20. It is very similar to Dickel rye (same source) and I actually prefer the Dickel slightly. I don't know what you pay for Dickel rye down there but I wouldn't pay more than that for Bulleit.

Dickel rye is the same price here.

I guess I was not aware that New Holland had quite as many different whiskey's on the market (They show 8 on their website. Was only aware of the Beer Barrel Bourbon). Saw the Zeppelin Bend straight malt whiskey (90pf) and the Pearse Lyons whiskey from Alltech (80pf) in a store yesterday. The Zeppelin notes it is aged in new charred oak and presumably must be at least 2yo although neither gives a clear indication of age.

Curious about them but not curious enough to buy one. Cut the price of the Zeppelin off in the picture and don't remember what is was, certainly over $30 though, and the Lyons was $31 which is perhaps slightly cheaper than most young "craft" whiskey seems to be.

post-8493-14489818869801_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489818869567_thumb.jpeg

I guess I was not aware that New Holland had quite as many different whiskey's on the market (They show 8 on their website. Was only aware of the Beer Barrel Bourbon). Saw the Zeppelin Bend straight malt whiskey (90pf) and the Pearse Lyons whiskey from Alltech (80pf) in a store yesterday. The Zeppelin notes it is aged in new charred oak and presumably must be at least 2yo although neither gives a clear indication of age.

Curious about them but not curious enough to buy one. Cut the price of the Zeppelin off in the picture and don't remember what is was, certainly over $30 though, and the Lyons was $31 which is perhaps slightly cheaper than most young "craft" whiskey seems to be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15153[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15154[/ATTACH]

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!