What Did You Pass Up Today? Spring '13

MyOldKyDram
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's not even any good, so not sure why they would want to claim it as theirs to begin with.

Quite possibly. Probably.

Quick tangent...wonder if they'll ever make a Dippin' Dots bourbon?

I wonder how much Breckenridge Bourbon had to pay someone to say whats on that tag around the neck of their bottle "one of the top three bourbons in the world".

It's not even any good, so not sure why they would want to claim it as theirs to begin with.

He is not making the claim that it is their own bourbon. When describing Town Branch distillery, he says it is the first commercial distillery in lexington since prohibition when BarrelHouse, a very small distillery is just down the road in Lexington and has been at it for a couple of years.

Thanks for clarifying that Eric but the statement he made is worse. What it displays is very poor attention to detail (doubtful) or an outright attempt to deceive (probable) because the statement could have been made true by adding a word or two.

Quite possibly. Probably.

Quick tangent...wonder if they'll ever make a Dippin' Dots bourbon?

If they do, I may have to try Dippin Dots!

IMO, run from that Pearse Lyons and the Town Branch from Alltech. Both are sup par IMO.. I know the Town Branch is (poorly) sourced bourbon since they have not been distilling there very long. Not to mention an outright lie told on the distillery tour during a video by Lyons himself.

Yes, I am less interested in the Alltech stuff than the New Holland products. A couple of people have been reasonably complimentary of the Beer Barrel Bourbon, even if still pretty young. But probably not looking to get any of those either in the near future. Just surprised that they had quite such a large lineup.

I have the beer barrel bourbon. It is interesting but the bourbon is too young and lacks any depth. As a beer fan, i thought the corsair hopped whiskeys were more interesting.

I have the beer barrel bourbon. It is interesting but the bourbon is too young and lacks any depth. As a beer fan, i thought the corsair hopped whiskeys were more interesting.

Haven't bought anything but their gin so far but that is another craft distillery that seems worth keeping an eye on.

THH, noticed it tucked away on the top shelf behind the corner and asked what they wanted for it. Odd in that it wasn't one of the usual "not for sale" bottle locations, was kind of tucked in with some overstock, but for $129 no thanks. If anyone in Atlanta really wants to get their hands on some Handy feel free to PM me for location.

Left a fair amount of Jeffersons 18 on the shelf today. Heading up to KY this weekend, so I figured I'd save my money for the trip.

Ramblinman, I passed up 4 bottles of THH yesterday for $63 each, so I would agree the $129 is a little "over the top."

I'll probably go back and pick one up though, for $63.

Ramblinman, I passed up 4 bottles of THH yesterday for $63 each, so I would agree the $129 is a little "over the top."

I'll probably go back and pick one up though, for $63.

That seems like a fair price for it.

I've never had it, but would probably pull the trigger for $63 to do it at least once and check one of the BTAC offerings off of my sample list.

I had all 5 BTACs back in 2010 and 2011, and the Handy was my least favorite of the 5, while the Saz 18 was the best. Interesting that the two ryes were top and bottom, that their flavor profiles are so different.

I had all 5 BTACs back in 2010 and 2011, and the Handy was my least favorite of the 5, while the Saz 18 was the best. Interesting that the two ryes were top and bottom, that their flavor profiles are so different.

THH is Buffalo Trace-distilled rye. Sazerac 18 is tanked rye that was distilled elsewhere. They're not just the same distillate at different ages.

THH is Buffalo Trace-distilled rye. Sazerac 18 is tanked rye that was distilled elsewhere. They're not just the same distillate at different ages.

I did not know that - I assumed they were the same as well. Thanks for the heads up! Ironically - my preference is the opposite (I love THH, and the Saz 18 has been my least fav).

Thanks for the info, Jim. Tasting so different I thought they were different mashbills, but never thought about them being from different distilleries.

Passed up PHC 2012 131.6 today and the last several times I've been to the local store. Just can't seem to bring myself to spend $80 on a single bottle. There are still several on the shelf and don't seem to be going anywhere so if they sit long enough, they'll break me down and make me buy one.

Edited by miller542

Passed up two bottles of EWSB 1992. I was ready to pull the trigger but the $40 price tag was a bit much, even for a dusty like the 1992

Passed up PHC 2012 131.6 today and the last several times I've been to the local store. Just can't seem to bring myself to spend $80 on a single bottle. There are still several on the shelf and don't seem to be going anywhere so if they sit long enough, they'll break me down and make me buy one.

I think it's a really great whiskey. When you do break down and buy it you'll enjoy it. They're still available in most stores in SLC but I have noticed the stocks diminishing.

Thanks for the info, Jim. Tasting so different I thought they were different mashbills, but never thought about them being from different distilleries.

Passed on JPS21. Pretty neat to see it out but at $200/bottle (what this store is asking) not very enticed to get one.

Edited by matthewdc
spelling

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!