Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

michang5
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I thought that sounded like me.

I posted something very similar on my blog earlier this year. I think I also responded to a rumor here about Weller being held back, not for WLW but for Van Winkle. Again, not happening and even if it where, it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't affect Weller availability. Unless, that is, they're planning to dump a lot more Van Winkle on to the market. Which they're not. (But go ahead and start the rumor anyway.)

I thought that sounded like me.

I posted something very similar on my blog earlier this year. I think I also responded to a rumor here about Weller being held back, not for WLW but for Van Winkle. Again, not happening and even if it where, it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't affect Weller availability. Unless, that is, they're planning to dump a lot more Van Winkle on to the market. Which they're not. (But go ahead and start the rumor anyway.)

I'm in OK and stopped in my favorite local store today and saw a couple bottles. Picked up a liter for $29.99 plus tax.

I'm in OK and stopped in my favorite local store today and saw a couple bottles. Picked up a liter for $29.99 plus tax.

That is an insane deal. Color me jealous.

I just bought a case of 750s from Caskers at $25 a bottle, no tax and free shipping. I would buy all the W12 I could get at $40 a handle.

Was in Buffalo this weekend. Never had weller 12. They were well stocked and for 19 bucks I had myself a bottle. Maybe I have gotten used to the dusty like flavor of my wheated bourbon, which I got a hint of in weller 12, but I was not impressed. It was atop much barrel for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Buffalo and there is not much Weller 12 available now. Funny thing, my car was much heavier going back than going to Buffalo. I got a lot of 750's at $16.95. Happy hunting. I won't need to buy Weller 12 again for a while.

I've seen it a bit more frequently in the past month or so than earlier this year. But not for $17 - that's a steal!

See plenty around the Indy area. No secret, it is every where you look. But, when talking with the whiskey mongers in the know, they all say the same thing that it is getting more difficult to stock. One even told me that he has folks from other states coming in to buy it.

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth, OWA has been out of stock in Arizona for at least 6 months... In the Total Wine website, for the local store, it says it's not expected to be in stock until November 2014!

Weller 12, on the other hand, is expected in January.

Maybe I shouldn't say all of Arizona... But two Bevmo and two Total Wine locations have been extremely low/ out for a lengthy time now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Edited by JPBoston

Some people are getting ahead of themselves. I just spotted weller 12 on Craigslist for $75. Already a black market for the stuff. Still on the shelf here for $20.99

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

..."regional and sporadic" to quote the Chuck man. You can still get "handles" by the case for ~$35 each down here.

Always feel like I'm missing something with Weller 12. Granted, I've only had two or three bottles of it over the past couple years and maybe it's the older stuff that people rave about it, but nothing about the current stuff makes it 'hoard worthy' to me. It's good, it's a nice value, but it's not even my favorite sub $30, 12-year-old bourbon. I can find it with just a little bit of looking around out here but if I was never able to purchase a bottle again I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything. To each their own, of course. Same with how ETL is all of a sudden the greatest value bourbon has ever known, when up until a few months ago you could buy it all day every day at any liquor store worth visiting...

It'd be great fun to try some single barrel selections, but the regular bottle I had was nothing special. I suspect when honey is diverted in ever greater quantities, the standard suffers.

It'd be great fun to try some single barrel selections, but the regular bottle I had was nothing special. I suspect when honey is diverted in ever greater quantities, the standard suffers.

I'm buying store selections more and more for that very reason. Can't get the highly allocated stuff, and a good proprietor is mining out those gems for you and charging pretty much the same as the standard bottling. I usually buy two. One for now, and one for 10 years from now when those will be my little PVWs ... :yum:

Well, I didn't want to sound like a broken record, but I don't get it either. The current stuff is my least favorite bourbon. The old stuff is a completely different story...

I agree it would be interesting to try some single barrel selections. I bet some gems could be found.

Since I haven't had the older version, I can only compare it to other available options in today's marketplace. It is a solid pour at a reasonable price. I don't know if they can replicate the flavor with younger bourbon or not but, in the end, I would expect the age statement to go away and the price to go up. I like it well enough at the current price to have bunkered away a few bottles.

As for why it is flying off the shelves, I think that has more to do with availability and allocation issues. When you start seeing something you like become more scarce and, then when it returns, a little more expensive, you consider buying it while you can. It doesn't help when reputable stores either tell you they are out and don't when they will get more or that it is becoming harder to get.

Oh man, don't you know it! I have seen stores push both W12 and OWA as the same thing as pappy but for a third of the cost. Assuming you can buy pappy at MSRP.

I heard the same thing when touring the BT distillery last summer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.