Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

michang5
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since we got into town I've noticed a total lack of Weller anything around here. Looks like November is the time to stock up. PM me if you know of any off-the-beaten-path places to keep an eye on. Good thing I brought a sizable stash to hold me over for a while. :grin:

Unfortunately, I only really know of Bevmo and Total Wine. The one non-franchise liquor store I stopped in just stocked the usual suspects.

There is still plenty of Weller 12 to be had in the KC area.

Lol.. I agree I found it for $19.99 for a 750... They also had liters and 1.75's..

I've never had it but is this something to try and go deep on? Is Weller 12 a yearly release or what? I've looked barely before and have never seen the 12.

KC, it's a $20 (for you) 12yo wheated bourbon, regularly stocked. It can be really good or just meh. I haven't warmed to wheaters yet, I've only tried MM, Larceny, OWA and W12, but W12 has been my favorite of the bunch. A $20 12yo is generally an uncommon sight these days.

Lol.. I agree I found it for $19.99 for a 750... They also had liters and 1.75's..

I've never had it but is this something to try and go deep on? Is Weller 12 a yearly release or what? I've looked barely before and have never seen the 12.

At that price...I'd buy a case of it. But that's just me.

i saw plenty today in louisville

ive never had it and it hasnt really been on my must-try list, but i look at EVERYTHING when i go to the liquor store, then usually pick something new based on reviews, proof, distiller, and price. one day, i will try the OWA, but the other wellers havent tempted me at all yet

i saw plenty today in louisville

ive never had it and it hasnt really been on my must-try list, but i look at EVERYTHING when i go to the liquor store, then usually pick something new based on reviews, proof, distiller, and price. one day, i will try the OWA, but the other wellers havent tempted me at all yet

You owe it to yourself to try both the OWA and W12. Both great values, and different enough that you may like and not the other (i love both, but depends on mood...sometime i crave the sweet caramel of OWA, other times the slightly darker taste of W12).

You owe it to yourself to try both the OWA and W12. Both great values, and different enough that you may like and not the other (i love both, but depends on mood...sometime i crave the sweet caramel of OWA, other times the slightly darker taste of W12).

next time im at a bar that has one of them, ill make sure to get one.

okay, so today I meet my wife for lunch as we are both downtown for school/work. We go to one of our lunch spots and they have a special for a homemade burger, fries, and a bourbon....all for $10. So, i looked over the list and said, what the hell, ive never had the OWA 107, gimme that, neat.

so, now ive finally tried it. it had a sweetness that was nice, the proof was getting almost to the good range of mouthfeel, but overall, it was a bit bland. I figure, it all added up to what i expected....a wheater with a nice proof. i can see the value in using this for vattings though!

Bought the 107 last week and loved it... Returned today and picked up the 12yr for $20... Can't beat it... I think I may go pick up some 1.75's.. Heck those are only $40 ;)

A burger, fries, and an OWA 107 for $10 is the deal of the century. How was the burger?

damn good as always! its a daily lunch special this place has had for a few years. not one of those perfectly round hamburger-esque patties, one of those nice hand made thick patties, pepper jack cheese, and some so-so fries. the special says you can have any bourbon that lists at $6 or under on the menu. ive been wanting to try OWA 107 for a while, but not enough to buy a whole bottle of it, so that was my pick. i still wouldnt buy a bottle of it, but i do see why so many guys on here use it in vatting with other bourbons.

the owner used to be the bartender at a place my wife and i would go sometimes for happy hour for appetizers and a wine (her), or lemon drop (me). he knew his stuff and is as personable as can be, so when he opened his own place right in downtown next to my wifes office building, we meet for lunch there now and then, when our schedules permit. good food, prices, and supporting a nice guy.

they also have a Truman Special .....OGD bourbon, eggs, bacon, toast, etc....but im not a breakfast guy.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

i still wouldnt buy a bottle of it, but i do see why so many guys on here use it in vatting with other bourbons.

And many of us guys like it just fine unvatted too.

And many of us guys like it just fine unvatted too.

I bought 3 bottles from 2 different high volume chain stores last week, and I got 3 completely different bourbons. First was just incredible, I enjoyed it significantly more than the bottle of Lot B it is currently sitting next to it. Second one had that nice sooty oak flavor that makes it barely passable as a sipper. 3rd bottle tasted like they used it to clean old chimneys before straining it into bottles.

BT quality control for it just been so terrible that you can't really depend on it as a drinkable bourbon.

I bought 3 bottles from 2 different high volume chain stores last week, and I got 3 completely different bourbons. First was just incredible, I enjoyed it significantly more than the bottle of Lot B it is currently sitting next to it. Second one had that nice sooty oak flavor that makes it barely passable as a sipper. 3rd bottle tasted like they used it to clean old chimneys before straining it into bottles.

BT quality control for it just been so terrible that you can't really depend on it as a drinkable bourbon.

That made me laugh a little. I guess I'll have to give it another shot since I have only bought it twice.

"A lot of bullshit flies on this subject. The comment that Weller 12 supplies are tight because they're holding back barrels for William LaRue is just silly. Do you know how few barrels they dump for the William LaRue? Forty-one in 2005, 22 in 2006 and 34 in 2007. That's a drop in the bucket. I don't know the exact figures, but each time they bottle Weller 12 they probably dump several hundred barrels.

Tight supply is a reality we have to get used to and the real reason is simple. American whiskey is suddenly popular all over the world. Yes, the popularity of premium expressions in general, which usually involve extra aging, is a factor. A company like Buffalo Trace has to do an amazingly complicated juggling job to keep all of its brands supplied.

The logical thing, of course, is to sell what you have for the best price you can get without doing anything to stall the momentum.

Basically, get used to it. Most of us here were early adopters so we got to enjoy a period of ample supplies and low prices, before the rest of the world discovered what we already knew. Everything is cyclical and we may see something like that again, but it's not on the horizon. Everybody is making more every year, but if demand growth continues to outpace the production increases there will be no relief. "

Thought this partial quote from another website was interesting on a couple of levels. First it was our own Chuck C. Second he posted the above not in response to the current lack (or not) of W12. But to the THEN current lack of W12......in April of 2008 when this quote was posted.

"A lot of bullshit flies on this subject. The comment that Weller 12 supplies are tight because they're holding back barrels for William LaRue is just silly. Do you know how few barrels they dump for the William LaRue? Forty-one in 2005, 22 in 2006 and 34 in 2007. That's a drop in the bucket. I don't know the exact figures, but each time they bottle Weller 12 they probably dump several hundred barrels.

Tight supply is a reality we have to get used to and the real reason is simple. American whiskey is suddenly popular all over the world. Yes, the popularity of premium expressions in general, which usually involve extra aging, is a factor. A company like Buffalo Trace has to do an amazingly complicated juggling job to keep all of its brands supplied.

The logical thing, of course, is to sell what you have for the best price you can get without doing anything to stall the momentum.

Basically, get used to it. Most of us here were early adopters so we got to enjoy a period of ample supplies and low prices, before the rest of the world discovered what we already knew. Everything is cyclical and we may see something like that again, but it's not on the horizon. Everybody is making more every year, but if demand growth continues to outpace the production increases there will be no relief. "

Thought this partial quote from another website was interesting on a couple of levels. First it was our own Chuck C. Second he posted the above not in response to the current lack (or not) of W12. But to the THEN current lack of W12......in April of 2008 when this quote was posted.

Great find. It's an unfortunate reality but we can take some consolation in the fact that our little network here alerts us to excellent whiskeys that aren't on most people's radar.

One benefit of whiskirexia nervosa is a few dusties and single barrels of OWA hanging out in the bunker ;). Haven't bought an off the shelf in a couple years but I know that "sooty oak flavor" in current W 12 and a shame to hear it creeping into OWA. It was not in that excellent first release of the nas label either.

Thank you for that advice. However, I will not be drinking the WSR this weekend. I have to attend a wedding in Louisville KY., better pours ahead. Next week when I hit the WSR at home, I will be sure to let folks know how the week-opened bottle tastes.

Best,

One benefit of whiskirexia nervosa is a few dusties and single barrels of OWA hanging out in the bunker ;). Haven't bought an off the shelf in a couple years but I know that "sooty oak flavor" in current W 12 and a shame to hear it creeping into OWA. It was not in that excellent first release of the nas label either.

I misread the post I quoted, and I was actually referring to W 12. Sorry about the confusion! I would say that I need to stop drinking while posting, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

All of the nas OWA I have tried over the last year has been pretty consistent. I still have about 5 bottles of the 7 yr, but the declining quality control of W 12 makes me want to bury them even deeper in my bunker.

Excellent post, and you are right, 5 years ago we had a magnificent choice of bottles without much competition. Right now, bourbon is hot. IF (big if) it stays this hot everything in stock will easily be spoken for in another 10 years. However, if the market cools for some reason in the next 10 years (doubtful but possible) there will be a second "Golden Age" of inexpensive, highly aged bourbons in about 15-20 years.

There's been a very noticeable drop in stock here in AZ... on a LOT of brands. I'm seeing a TON more 'not in stock' when I browse online at the local big chains (Bevmo and Total Wine).

The opened bottle of WSR tastes much better now. Being opened made a difference. :grin:

Glad to hear it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.