Weller 12 flying off the shelves?

michang5
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just gossip. Just as others have said it's regional and sproradic. This region is flush and has been consistently. Some regions aren't so lucky.

It's getting to be a shame that we need someone to be the proverbial broken record here but thank you Joe for having the energy to keep it to the truth. And doesn't the popularity of the SB blend say something about the current W 12...as in a bit thin and sooty.

I only have as many as I do because it's my go-to gift bourbon. It's not available in the state, and often hard to find elsewhere, and I've found the MM crowd laps it up like driven dogs.

I still see it as a great pour for the money is it as good as it was 6-8 years ago when it was truly stellar,no but still a great value at under $30 for a 12yr wheated whiskey.I will agree with it being a tad thin,but I feel the sooty note subsides after ample open time,just not as complex as it once was but still in it's own right a pretty quality pour and one I always keep around.

Visited my three main haunts yesterday only found one bottle of the 12 (it came home with me). It seems like a month ago they were all over the place.

Visited my three main haunts yesterday only found one bottle of the 12 (it came home with me). It seems like a month ago they were all over the place.

Saw some Weller 12 on the shelf today but at this price I think it'll be glued there for a very long time. Not sure if it is speculative gauging or simply a mistake but wowza it surprised me. I like Weller 12 and all but I'm used to paying $30 or less. Not $65 that's for sure. Luckily it seems readily available at reasonable prices in many parts of New England. post-9887-14489819597287_thumb.jpg

Saw some Weller 12 on the shelf today but at this price I think it'll be glued there for a very long time. Not sure if it is speculative gauging or simply a mistake but wowza it surprised me. I like Weller 12 and all but I'm used to paying $30 or less. Not $65 that's for sure. Luckily it seems readily available at reasonable prices in many parts of New England. [ATTACH=CONFIG]16296[/ATTACH]

Wow. Where was that? I'd have to think you're right - it has to be a mistake.

@Sutton - to protect the guilty (of attempted gouging) all I'll say is that the store was a large discount liquor store on RT9 near the bridge construction. They did have good prices on a private barrel of Jeff Small Batch and private barrels of Knob Creek.

@Sutton - to protect the guilty (of attempted gouging) all I'll say is that the store was a large discount liquor store on RT9 near the bridge construction. They did have good prices on a private barrel of Jeff Small Batch and private barrels of Knob Creek.

A few years ago, I found multiple ORVW 10/107 there priced appropriately for the time and actually a good deal in MA - never to be seen again. They move volume though, so it seems hard to believe they'd gouge just on these few bottles. Strange ...

Saw some Weller 12 on the shelf today but at this price I think it'll be glued there for a very long time. Not sure if it is speculative gauging or simply a mistake but wowza it surprised me. I like Weller 12 and all but I'm used to paying $30 or less. Not $65 that's for sure. Luckily it seems readily available at reasonable prices in many parts of New England. [ATTACH=CONFIG]16296[/ATTACH]

I had a store that mixed up their W.L. Weller with their WLW in similar fashion. That looks like the WLW price.

I had a store that mixed up their W.L. Weller with their WLW in similar fashion. That looks like the WLW price.[/quote

Either that, or the price for an OWA handle.

I had a store that mixed up their W.L. Weller with their WLW in similar fashion. That looks like the WLW price.

That's probably what it is. After all it has the same name on the label. Did youi notice the embossed wheat? Might be an older bottle.

I had a store that mixed up their W.L. Weller with their WLW in similar fashion. That looks like the WLW price.[/quote

Either that, or the price for an OWA handle.

Wow, I hope that's not what you pay for a handle of OWA. They are about $45 here.

I can usually find Weller 12 without having to drive too far. I've actually been a little surprised the last few months when some has shown up at a couple of local stores near me, that have never stocked it before. One of these stores had two bottles on the shelf in a spot marked and priced as OWA. They came home with me. :grin: They must have realized their error, because the last time I stopped at that store, they had one bottle on the shelf marked as Weller 12. Slight difference in price too.:frown: I bought it anyway. :rolleyes: What the heck. With what I had saved on the previous two bottles I bought, I still came out a little bit ahead. :cool:

I'm seeing more and more evidence that Chuck's analysis regarding the shortages of the Weller line being temporary was spot-on. Just 2 months ago it was near impossible to find a bottle of OWA here in Indy. I think I visited 20 or 30 stores before I found any.

Now it seems like the stores are loaded with it. I'm finding lots of it around. The one store in particular who checked with the distributor a few weeks ago and was told that they weren't making any more because those barrels were destined for PVW now has about 10 bottles of OWA on the shelf.

I spent quite a bit of time (and money) running around bunkering bottles of both W12 and OWA back a few months ago. In hindsight, it seems like it was a bit foolish on my part. I'm sure the areas where W12 is still scarce will be soon replenished.

I would take Chuck's advice over a local store employee any day. I've heard so many silly and inaccurate statements from liquor store employees I should write a book.

Wait, Chuck has probably beat me to it.

Although I'm not a fan of W12 as a stand alone bourbon, I do buy it frequently for the SB blend. I have no problem picking it up in Indiana when I want it.

Although I'm not a fan of W12 as a stand alone bourbon, I do buy it frequently for the SB blend. I have no problem picking it up in Indiana when I want it.

I like both WL12 and OWA on their own. However, I really like the SB blend. The two really complement each other well. I would match the flavor and enjoyment of the SB blend to almost any single bottle that I have had for the price of the two 750s that it takes to have the ingredients on hand.

Jack - I see nothing wrong with bunkering a little of what you like. I did the same as you. If nothing else, you may have bunkered it at a cheaper price than you will be able to find it in the future.

I've hit every liquor store in our area looking for other stuff and they are low on W12 everywhere. When I did find it I grab a couple of bottles to stock up.

There is nothing wrong with stocking some bottles of what you like. I've got enough 4 year Willett Rye to supply everyone on this board with a bottle.

There is nothing wrong with stocking some bottles of what you like. I've got enough 4 year Willett Rye to supply everyone on this board with a bottle.

Ha, may have to take you up on that. Haven't found any Willet up here yet.

I've hit every liquor store in our area looking for other stuff and they are low on W12 everywhere. When I did find it I grab a couple of bottles to stock up.

Odd, as I see it pretty much everywhere I go on the east side of town. Maybe they bought it all and there is none left for Cobb!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.