What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw four different Balcones offerings... all at around $50. These are new to my area; but I passed 'em by.

That's about the right price for Balcones whiskey. You should try their Baby Blue or True Blue 100 for starters. If you like smoke, then Brimstone is a must.

That's about the right price for Balcones whiskey. You should try their Baby Blue or True Blue 100 for starters. If you like smoke, then Brimstone is a must.

True, you must try the Balcones, different and delightful.

The spice wagon rolls around ever so often offering the next new permanent thing but is a disillusionment in an impermanent world.

Well said.

I get enough spice by adding a good bitters. I know whiskey is made for profit but this kind of release is kind of insulting in its cash grabbing forwardness, but on the other hand if it makes WT enough money to release a GOOD new whiskey im all for it.

Seems like Va is getting in Q4 products. Passed on WT Unforgiven and Spiced today, as well as EC21 at $160 :(. Also there was some ridiculous Manhattan bourbon (rye?) with the Empire State Building on top of the bottles?! :lol: It must have been almost 20 inches.

Wow, interesting. You would think the store would see that and would either discount it, open it for a sample bottle (unlikely) or wipe it off.

Sample bottle...now that's my kind of store!!!!

Passed on the new Parker Heritage, saw one bottle in the store. Intrigued, but the reviews here have been all over. Normally that wouldn't scare me off, but $92 (yeah, I know some goes to ALS research) is a bit steep for a "maybe I'll like it" poke and hope bottle.

Also passed on a true dusty. Have been keeping an eye out for the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, haven't seen any around here yet, and went in a store I haven't tried for awhile. A 1.75 OF (86 proof) on the bottom shelf, was literally covered with a thick coat of dust. Anything special about an older version of this that would make it worth my while?

Yeah, I saw quite a bit yesterday for $85-$89 and passed too. I would normally buy one to try, but I just couldn't do it. Especially after picking up a bottle and seeing how light the contents were. About the same color as EWSB.

Also passed on a true dusty. Have been keeping an eye out for the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, haven't seen any around here yet, and went in a store I haven't tried for awhile. A 1.75 OF (86 proof) on the bottom shelf, was literally covered with a thick coat of dust. Anything special about an older version of this that would make it worth my while?

Passed on the 4RBP at 108 proof...I'll stay with the KCSB 120 at about $15 less per bottle for now.

Go back and buy it. A private selection low proofer FRBP is likely going to be a great pour.

Go back and buy it. A private selection low proofer FRBP is likely going to be a great pour.

Thanks for the nudge... I will do so. I was in a hurry to get to a kids soccer game and was trying to talk myself into accepting that my bunker is already adequately stocked for the winter. I pretty much realized I needed to grab one before it is too late when I walked out. I ran into MyOldKyDram at the store and he gave me the same advice (while I had the darn thing in my hand)!

Passed on PHC 7th for $110 (cheapest price in WA so far). Add sales tax and it would be $136 out the door. That's just approaching stupid.

Thanks for the nudge... I will do so. I was in a hurry to get to a kids soccer game and was trying to talk myself into accepting that my bunker is already adequately stocked for the winter. I pretty much realized I needed to grab one before it is too late when I walked out. I ran into MyOldKyDram at the store and he gave me the same advice (while I had the darn thing in my hand)!

Can't say I blame you for not listening to THAT guy...

Passed on some Stagg Jr when the wife asked (prodded?) about when the last time I emptied a bottle was. (sigh) Guess I have some homework for when my head clears up a bit!

Can't say I blame you for not listening to THAT guy...

I am surprised that he didn't snatch it from you while you had it in your hand!

Passed on some Stagg Jr when the wife asked (prodded?) about when the last time I emptied a bottle was. (sigh) Guess I have some homework for when my head clears up a bit!

The more I drink it, the more I like it. It is a great sipper.

Found some decent stuff today but not in my price range. Stagg Jr at $70, EC21 at $170, Hirsch 25 rye at $260, Michters 10 @ $99, Michters 20 @ $499, and Hirsch 28 at $489.

Passed on some 2012 BTAC THH while coming back from Connecticut. $99.00/bottle meh. They did have 3 botle of Elija Craig Barreel Proof at $42/bottle. I haven't sene it anywhere else so I'm not sure f that is a decent price or not, so I passed on it as well.

Passed on some 2012 BTAC THH while coming back from Connecticut. $99.00/bottle meh. They did have 3 botle of Elija Craig Barreel Proof at $42/bottle. I haven't sene it anywhere else so I'm not sure f that is a decent price or not, so I passed on it as well.

If it's close enough and you want some ECBP, go back and buy a bottle. Totally reasonable price.

I am surprised that he didn't snatch it from you while you had it in your hand!

Well... I think he was already flush, so that may have been the only thing that saved me!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!