What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Walked past an array of really nice ryes this morning. Sazerac for $27, Old Scout 7 Year for $29, and Ritt BIB for $18.

The "standard" is called Baby Blue I believe. I have passed on this stuff many times for no other reason than the fact that it's basically $60 moonshine. I've heard it's great, but I just can't pull the trigger. Someone can send me a sample and prove me wrong though. :)

No, i've had True Blue Cask, True Blue and Baby Blue. Now i cannot remember what the difference is other than proof (TB Cask being 120ish proof, True being 100 and Baby being 86) and don't have the Baby Blue around anymore to check the label. Winston? You around here somewhere to clarify.

I have passed on this stuff many times for no other reason than the fact that it's basically $45-$65 moonshine. I've heard it's great, but I just can't pull the trigger. Someone can send me a sample and prove me wrong though. :)

Edit: There are 3 Balcones Blue labels. I didn't know that. Baby Blue 92 proof, True Blue 100 proof, and True Blue Cask Strength (instead of Barrel Proof)(a little pretentious isn't it? ;))

I'm holding out for Winston to admit that he knows where the Commonwealth of Bourbon is located. :grin:

Lock Stock & Barrel Rye @ $129.99, jeez. Has anyone tried this yet?

I passed on it at $100, but I'v passed on a lot lately.

Lock Stock & Barrel Rye @ $129.99, jeez. Has anyone tried this yet?

It's different, I grabbed one, but it's not a 130 bottle IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Surprise I'm saying this but in the spirit of sharing and I already have many bunkered, I passed on 4RSmBLe 2013.

At least for today and from this store.

Willett FE rye.....what i really wanted was FE bourbon, 6-9 years. EVERYONE has loads of the 4 year FE rye right now. how's that song go?.....'10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife'

the rye isnt priced bad, its about $35 everywhere. I havent had much luck enjoying straight ryes from anyone though, so im not gonna take the chance.

Willett FE rye.....what i really wanted was FE bourbon, 6-9 years. EVERYONE has loads of the 4 year FE rye right now. how's that song go?.....'10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife'

the rye isnt priced bad, its about $35 everywhere. I havent had much luck enjoying straight ryes from anyone though, so im not gonna take the chance.

You realize that when you find one it could well be from a _completely different distillery_ and be nothing like what you expect, right?

I passed on PHC7. I know that it is for a good cause and my wife even said that it is ok to go for it but there are too many other things I prefer at that price. I also passed on CEHT SmB. My main whiskey man, who I have bought from over the past several months, but met face-to-face today for the first time (a fellow SBer) gave me a taste but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Solid taste but about $10 more than I would spend without spending more time with it first.

I passed on PHC7. I know that it is for a good cause and my wife even said that it is ok to go for it but there are too many other things I prefer at that price. I also passed on CEHT SmB. My main whiskey man, who I have bought from over the past several months, but met face-to-face today for the first time (a fellow SBer) gave me a taste but I just couldn't pull the trigger. Solid taste but about $10 more than I would spend without spending more time with it first.

When i had my last bottle of CEHT SmB i remember continually thinking "well it's not BAD", but so many other choices in that same price range i felt much more positive about so haven't gone back.

You realize that when you find one it could well be from a _completely different distillery_ and be nothing like what you expect, right?

seeing as how practically everything Willett is sourced right now, and pretty much any sourced rye is from indiana, i think it is safe to say its probably not gonna be my thing. If it was their own recipe, yeah, id give it a try. but just a 110 proof version of the same rye eveyrone else is sourcing too? nah...

Not talking about the rye. The bourbon. You're chasing the 6-9 year Willett now with no idea what it will taste like. ECBP round 2.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!