What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not talking about the rye. The bourbon. You're chasing the 6-9 year Willett now with no idea what it will taste like. ECBP round 2.

To add to this, while i've had some awesome Willett, each batch is at the least a different barrel if not distillery. So what you tasted at KBF is likely long gone.

Stopped in a 'new' store near the office (old place filed for bankruptcy, new place bought it out, re-did the interior, etc.). Passed on Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve at $30... also passed on a bottle High West Campfire...

Stopped in a 'new' store near the office (old place filed for bankruptcy, new place bought it out, re-did the interior, etc.). Passed on Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve at $30... also passed on a bottle High West Campfire...
I'd buy both of those Turkeys all day long at that price.

I'd buy both of those Turkeys all day long at that price.

I will certainly buy them there in the future at that price - just wasn't prepared to spend, haha. I'd already made a couple other purchases elsewhere, figured it wasn't a 'need'. Not that any of it is ever a 'need', but you know how it is...

Passed on 2013 OFBB for $60. Seriously??? $20-$25 increase in price over three years for a mostly mediocre release that can best be complimented by remarking upon its unique profile. It's interesting that this annual release has become more sought after as the price has gone up. Then again, maybe it's just the truth that everything has become more sought after over the past three years, price increase or not.

I'll admit I've had some vintages over the years that I've really enjoyed, but the $25-$40 price tag was a significant contributor to my enjoyment of them.

Passed on 2013 OFBB for $60. Seriously??? $20-$25 increase in price over three years for a mostly mediocre release that can best be complimented by remarking upon its unique profile. It's interesting that this annual release has become more sought after as the price has gone up. Then again, maybe it's just the truth that everything has become more sought after over the past three years, price increase or not.

I'll admit I've had some vintages over the years that I've really enjoyed, but the $25-$40 price tag was a significant contributor to my enjoyment of them.

I don't claim to have any sort of seasoned palate for whiskey. I know what I like when I like it, I know when I feel justified for spending what I did on a particular bottle or when I feel like I spent a bit too much for what I got. I'm working on the palate part of it, but from what I've had of the OFBB13, I like it at $37 that it's selling for here compared to other things I can get at that price. Definitely different from the 'usual' suspects in my liquor cabinet - the BTs and Dickels and EW BiBs of the world. There are other things I'd buy if it was going for $60.

THH 2012... O.o. I know I know... But I'm sitting on a few already.. I'm more interested in collecting all the antique expressions at the moment!

also passed up 3x staggjr's and multiple OFBB

i passed on a PVW 20yr $999 and a VWb $250.... I can't stand price gougers..

ive been making the circuit of stores all week.. Lol

Edited by KCJason1

i passed on a PVW 20yr $999 and a VWb $250.... I can't stand price gougers..

good pass. only a moron with more money than brain cells would buy that. $1000 for a 750, of anything?!

good pass. only a moron with more money than brain cells would buy that. $1000 for a 750, of anything?!

I'd buy a 750 full of diamonds for a thousand bucks. Beyond that.... I'm with you :D

Passed on today

2013 OFBB - Have a couple already.

16 Yr Hirsch Humidor for the deal of $1350

BTEC - Char

BTAC - Thomas Handy - Have one already

25 yr Hirsch Rye

Lock Stock and Barrel Rye

I passed on a Lot 40 yesterday. It was tempting but I am not familiar with it and the price was a little more than I generally go. Besides I had already purchased a few other bottles of whiskey.

I would be curious on others thoughts of the current release of Lot 40.

It's a really good rye and a very nice example of what the Canadians can do, but I do agree that the pricing is a bit prohibitive. Still, it's good stuff.

I passed on a Lot 40 yesterday. It was tempting but I am not familiar with it and the price was a little more than I generally go. Besides I had already purchased a few other bottles of whiskey.

I would be curious on others thoughts of the current release of Lot 40.

Last years was very good. I haven't found one of the current release yet.

Not today, but yesterday I passed on the Jefferson's Chef Collaboration. I already had my hands full and I know it's not going to fly off the shelves. Anyone tried it?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Was just talking about this elsewhere. Chef Lee obv has a great palate (if you've ever been to his rest's) and is a lover of our on for sure. Will prob give it a try when I see it.

Was just talking about this elsewhere. Chef Lee obv has a great palate (if you've ever been to his rest's) and is a lover of our on for sure. Will prob give it a try when I see it.

It's going for less than $40, a fair price to give it a shot. I'll grab one this weekend maybe. I've already got ten bottles of ND OT 86 arriving tomorrow, I'm more excited about that.

I'm not suggesting it's cheap, but less than i expected given the JPS madness these days. Maybe lesson learned from WT Forgiven?

I agree with you completely. With their recent releases being over a bill I was expecting it to also be top dollar when Trey told me about it a year ago. Ed Lee's book being so hot I thought would only further contribute to out being a high ticket bottle. Does anyone have specs on this offering?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

passed on a bunch of Stagg Jr. at $49.99. Surprised to see it still on the shelf.

I believe they said multiple batches/year (i thought it was 3), so may be new.

I passed on a Dickel store selected barrel strength for $35. I don't know anything about Dickel so it did not seem worth taking up precious checked luggage space with.

I believe they said multiple batches/year (i thought it was 3), so may be new.

I really like it. I would love to find another bottle in Indy.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!