What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall '13

Old Dusty
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am not a store owner and don't know how the in's and out's of that business works other than I spend a lot of my time and money in liquor stores. I would be interested to see the results of a poll for this forum for the question, "Do you prefer a free market or government regulated control." I ask because even though no one is supporting government control on prices there is a lot of complaining about liquor stores pricing very limited commodities at prices that are above the MSRP. I, as I believe many would agree on this board, think that allowing the market to stabilize itself if a good thing. Let the guys get their own while the demand is high. Hell if I had a jet engine that airlines demanded over all other engines, I would sell it at a premium as well. I understand that some people have more personal relationships with their "guys" than I do, but they are in business to make money. It is business it is not personal.

There are two things that will happen with prices this high, the market demand will begin to come under control or they will begin to supply more product. There are way too many good bourbons out there that people aren't clamoring over to worry myself over whether John Doe has his Pappy at 10x retail. Thank god no one, other than maybe the LE's, is hunting Four Roses. I guess my point is that crazy prices aren't necessarily a bad thing. The pricing will start turning the non-enthusiast away about the same time the producers have finally caught up with the lead time. The demand will be lower and we will be left with a lot of great stuff. I reference the bourbon zen post a couple of weeks ago. Let these high priced unicorns go for a while and enjoy what you can get. Then again, maybe I need to lay off the juice at lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell if I had a jet engine that airlines demanded over all other engines, I would sell it at a premium as well. I understand that some people have more personal relationships with their "guys" than I do, but they are in business to make money. It is business it is not personal.

Good point. In my last example I did take the price hike personally since I had been in there less than 24hrs. earlier and the guy clearly remembered me. Since then I have just learned to pass on the overpriced stuff and grab the other things that are very reasonably priced in the same store.

Look, the price is the price. If the price is good, pay it. If not, try to negotiate or walk away.

Prices change, it doesn't strike me as unethical when they are raised, nor do I feel unethical when buying below cost. I continue to shop at over-priced retailers because sometimes I find good deals at those establishments. I don't shop much anywhere I don't find good values, but don't think less of the owners and employees at those places.

Wine-searcher lists bargain prices sometimes, too. I've found a few good deals there and I don't even have the premium membership.

[i guess we're having a a similar reaction to the apparent wave of belly-achin']

Edited by MauiSon

Wine-searcher has bargain prices sometimes, too. I've found a few good deals there and I don't even have the premium membership.

I've heard that about wine, but bourbon? I've never seen a "LE" bourbon at retail on that site.

Good point. In my last example I did take the price hike personally since I had been in there less than 24hrs. earlier and the guy clearly remembered me. Since then I have just learned to pass on the overpriced stuff and grab the other things that are very reasonably priced in the same store.

See, I guess I'm just weird but I think that by buying the "reasonably priced in the same store" stuff there, that I am rewarding bad behaviour.

I would rather give ALL my business to someone who is "reasonable" on all things all the time.

Please don't get me wrong. The owner doesn't owe me a thing and can charge whatever he wants. I just choose not to give him a dime of my money.

I worded that wrong. I have not been back to that particular store (except once) since then. I was referring to stores with overpriced "LE's" in general...which is just about every store around here.

went on a browsing trip instead of a buying trip today, came across Jeff 21/25 Rye and Jeff 25 bourbon for the first time and also the 3 Wheated BTECs.. at $189 and up for the jeff's and $64.99 each for the BTEC my wallet was not in an experimenting mood.

See, I guess I'm just weird but I think that by buying the "reasonably priced in the same store" stuff there, that I am rewarding bad behaviour.

I would rather give ALL my business to someone who is "reasonable" on all things all the time.

Please don't get me wrong. The owner doesn't owe me a thing and can charge whatever he wants. I just choose not to give him a dime of my money.

I tend to agree. Once I see that a store is gouging, my likelihood of going back is exceptionally low.

I worded that wrong. I have not been back to that particular store (except once) since then. I was referring to stores with overpriced "LE's" in general...which is just about every store around here.

Hey! No judgements being passed on anyone or anything, here. I just prefer to reward the stores that treat me right. I don't even shop for the

"lowest" price, either. A buck or two on the everyday stuff is not killing me and I know the "little guy" can't price with the box stores. Guess I'm just a "small business" guy? As long as they are "in the ballpark", I don't mind giving them my business if they don't gouge on the good stuff.

As stated earlier...........isn't Capitalism GREAT!

I've heard that about wine, but bourbon? I've never seen a "LE" bourbon at retail on that site.

Well, last year I bought a PHC Blend of Mashbills at below retail (even including S/H) and recently bought a FRBP Private Selection at $43, courtesy of wine-searcher. Sure, they have more high prices listed - because high prices don't disappear as quickly as bargains.

One of our retailers has a bottle of Vintage Rye 23yo on the shelf at $295. Another has it at $140. I buy more at the 'gouging' retailer because I buy the best deal I can find on any particular item, without regard for the prices on items I'm not buying.

Well, last year I bought a PHC Blend of Mashbills at below retail (even including S/H) and recently bought a FRBP Private Selection at $43, courtesy of wine-searcher. Sure, they have more high prices listed - because high prices don't disappear as quickly as bargains.

One of our retailers has a bottle of Vintage Rye 23yo on the shelf at $295. Another has it at $140. I buy more at the 'gouging' retailer because I buy the best deal I can find on any particular item, without regard for the prices on items I'm not buying.

I know which stores those are Maui. Funny thing is the store with VR23 at the low price has Hirsch 25 for about $250 while the store with the expensive 23 sold the same bottle of Hirsch for $125 at one time.

Black Saddle 12 year old never seen it. Not any info on the bottle LCI out of California If I rember right. No price just that it wasa 12year old

Ted

"Bill's Michigan Wheat" from New Holland. Don't know if it is new or new to the area. Can't remember the price but I wasn't inspired to pick one up.

post-8493-14489820066105_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820065873_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820065873_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820066105_thumb.jpg

Could be a valid point. I went to said store on my lunch and told them I really didn't care who he sold the bottle to, just don't act like your doing me a favor by selling me a bottle 5x it's retail and I wouldn't come back again. He said well that's your choice.

I went into my primary liquor store last night. A major chain store near Indy. They have a great selection of bourbon. I was the only person in the bourbon aisle. Most people were in the wine and vodka aisles with a few people coming in for beer. The store has a large volume of traffic.

I can't speak for other areas but Indy is being overtaken by the large chains. One company just expanded by buying out a lot of the independents. The result is almost no ability to negotiate price since the store managers have little authority.

I can't speak for other areas but Indy is being overtaken by the large chains. One company just expanded by buying out a lot of the independents. The result is almost no ability to negotiate price since the store managers have little authority.

Big Red?

Thought so, when you guys gave me a few suggestions to stop in Indy when I was calling the stores on their website everyone kept answering with different names.

Passed on Wild Turkey Rare Breed for $30 and Maker's 46 for $26. Both great prices but just wasn't feeling the purchase for whatever reason.

Baby Saz for $89.99. That is not a typo.

That is your yin-yang of Saz. You discovered the Sazyin today, tomorrow you'll see Sazyang by scooping up a Saz 18 at $28. :lol:

That is your yin-yang of Saz. You discovered the Sazyin today, tomorrow you'll see Sazyang by scooping up a Saz 18 at $28. :lol:

From your computer to God's ear. Heck I'd take finding a Saz18 at $89.99.

Baby Saz for $89.99. That is not a typo.

Hmmmm ... an honest mistake, or a retailer hoping some confused poser chasing the BTAC will buy three thinking they just got the deal of the century?

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!