What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can confirm from a few days ago that my local dan has collier and mckeel for $54 and a few cents, strange...

Damn forgot to look for the ginger beer but picked up a buffalo trace instead

Tried it? Having some Glenfarclas 60% tonight - nice Scotch.

Drinkin fernet and coke with a splash of buffalo trace while grillin' steak, smokin' chicken over melaleuca and pissing off the neighbours

Superb! You're making me hungry Onemorepour. :)

I tried the Spiced Turkey on the weekend when I was at Dan's. I didn't mind it straight, though there was an undercurrent of something I couldn't put my finger on that gave me pause. I do see how it would work in cocktails, but I don't think it would be something I would buy for home.

Also, if anyone is from Sydney, I highly recommend trying to make this event.

http://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney/food-and-drink/article/bulleit-and-broadsheet-serve-american-bbq-and-whiskey-barber-shop

I have been to the Barber shop a couple of times and whilst their selection is no massive for Bourbon (they have a lot of gin) they do know their stuff and they are actually are more than happy to serve your drinks in a Glencairn. That combined with the guys behind the Dip and Smokey O's I cant see how it can go wrong!

Grabbed a bottle of the old virginia 12yr and umm yeh not sure about it at this stage, slightly funky brandy like nose and very short finish, very meh.

Would love to know who makes this stuff though

Oh yeh and was drinking some ilegal resposado mezcal last night which was pretty damn enjoyable

Edited by onemorepour

Has anyone pulled the trigger on Knob creek bourbon yet? 100 proof, 9yr, 700ml bottles available from 1st choice. $95 is a bit pricey, might wait till it comes on special. Interested in any opinions or notes of this product. Many thanks

KC is one of my favourite pours from Beam - OGD and Bookers being the other two favourites. I always grab at least one bottle per trip to the US, and this holiday (12 sleeps and counting :D) will be no different. Would I drop $95 on it, yeah, probably... but I'd limit myself to 1 or 2 bottles a year at that price. It's definitely a steep price to ask if you've never tried it though. Maybe see if you can find a bar or club selling it by the pour first to see if you think it's worth it.

Thanks Cam. I think I'll do it. On the subject of OGD, people say its same mashbill as Basil Haydens, and Im not a huge fan of BH. can you compare the two? are they similar? if its the same mash then are the yeasts and age different? Drinking more Bulliet Rye ATM, 3 bottles in 4 weeks, lovin it!

Same mash bill, yes, but different profiles. Basil is not just watered down Grand Dad but is a lighter, dryer, less rich style. When it first came out we tried a bottle and my impression was this product has been designed as a crossover for Scotch drinkers.

The 8 year age stated Basil is a bit older than the standard Grand Dad BIB but close to the same for Grand Dad 114. Basil is a good dram that works well in cocktails, probably due to it's higher rye content. I believe sales would be higher if the price was lower but that's Beam for 'ya.

Comparing the two Grand Dad is a rich, powerful (especially the 114 but the BIB's no slouch) full flavored almost quaintly old fashioned style of high rye Bourbon. Basil is the polite city cousin with a diffident personality.

Edited by squire

KC is one of my favourite pours from Beam - OGD and Bookers being the other two favourites. I always grab at least one bottle per trip to the US, and this holiday (12 sleeps and counting :D) will be no different. Would I drop $95 on it, yeah, probably... but I'd limit myself to 1 or 2 bottles a year at that price. It's definitely a steep price to ask if you've never tried it though. Maybe see if you can find a bar or club selling it by the pour first to see if you think it's worth it.

Thanks.... but I think I can handle it :) In fact, my wife has kindly offered up her Duty Free allowance as well, so it's 6 bottles of something for me :)

Nice one! If you dont mind posting your purchases when you get back it would be appreciated, the excitement of a hunt is strong enough that I dont need to benefit from it to enjoy it.

Is it worrying that when choosing OS destinations one of the first things I think of is duty free potential? Well that and fishing, if there is neither of those available its going to be a hard sell.

Grabbed a bottle of the old virginia 12yr and umm yeh not sure about it at this stage, slightly funky brandy like nose and very short finish, very meh.

Would love to know who makes this stuff though

Oh yeh and was drinking some ilegal resposado mezcal last night which was pretty damn enjoyable

Nice one! If you dont mind posting your purchases when you get back it would be appreciated, the excitement of a hunt is strong enough that I dont need to benefit from it to enjoy it.

Is it worrying that when choosing OS destinations one of the first things I think of is duty free potential? Well that and fishing, if there is neither of those available its going to be a hard sell.

I rarely buy Duty Free now.... unless I am going to a destination country that doesn't have mush bourbon selection. In the US or Japan, I much prefer to buy up to my duty free limit from a good store, and carry it back in my suitcase.

Unfortunately not. Last time I was in Japan was 2004, so it's been a fair while.... and the memory is pretty faded. It'd be worth putting a post up on the site to ask other members though as I know some live there or have recently visited.

Same mash bill, yes, but different profiles. Basil is not just watered down Grand Dad but is a lighter, dryer, less rich style. When it first came out we tried a bottle and my impression was this product has been designed as a crossover for Scotch drinkers.

The 8 year age stated Basil is a bit older than the standard Grand Dad BIB but close to the same for Grand Dad 114. Basil is a good dram that works well in cocktails, probably due to it's higher rye content. I believe sales would be higher if the price was lower but that's Beam for 'ya.

Comparing the two Grand Dad is a rich, powerful (especially the 114 but the BIB's no slouch) full flavored almost quaintly old fashioned style of high rye Bourbon. Basil is the polite city cousin with a diffident personality.

I have had a couple bottles of OGD86 and loved it. Meanwhile I am not at all a fan of BH.

My number one desired bottle at the moment is OGDBIB, would love to get my hands on a bottle.

My wife is Japanese. I've been there around five or six times. Never really seen anything other than Japanese whiskey (which is good). FWIW, it can be hard to find an imported beer in some areas. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong places.

Thanks Squire, I guess I'll have to try the OGD if it ever hits our shores. I really wanted to give it a go due to the overwhelming good reports by your good self and others, but BH just didn't work for me. Thanks for clearing it up. I needed to know that I can enjoy OGD and not like BH, hopefully I can!

my experiences with BH and OGD are like what Squire said and many others on this board. You should give OGD a go. I enjoy the 86, BiB, and the 114. I found that there is a more significant difference going to 114 from the other 2 proof points but all enjoyable. Not sure if you all get the 200ml and 375ml sizes in the 86 and bib over there but those would be great to have to get to try instead of a whole bottle.

Thanks hn4, unfortunately we get no OGD here at all, any sizes. If you'd like to help I'm sure there would be a few very grateful Aussie SBers!

Nicks often have some version(s) of OGD in stock. Worth checking out if you are really keen to get a bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.